CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Don't Even Bother (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62867)

Meghan Reid 11-10-2010 01:42 PM

Don't Even Bother

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/1....html?hpt=Sbin
WFS

This article is solely opinion, thank God, but I'm sure someone out there will use it as ammo.

To sum, Etzioni is saying that focusing our energy on trying to get adults to become healthier is pointless because "body mass is very resistant to change once it settles." Like "cement." And because the only way to get people healthy is to "spend good money, consume drinks and eat food that is artificially doctored, take medications that have side effects and engage in various fashionable diets that actually undermine their health."

So, we should essentially give up on everyone that's past childhood, let them go their merry, Twinkie-eating way, and attack the problem where it starts, in childhood.

Yes, but how do we do that? According to Etzioni it's....drumrollll....PUBLIC POLICY! Especially laudable is Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" program. Because you know, her agenda of eat fresh foods, low fat whole grains blah blah blah is completely groundbreaking and not at all what the government has been pushing for 30 years.

Sigh. I agree, kids need to hear this. But I really don't think public policy is the way to go. And I'm annoyed at his "just give up" attitude.

Liz Wolfe 11-10-2010 02:11 PM

Re: Don't Even Bother

Don't worry, Mrs. Ramos. This quote jumps out at me:

"Americans who diet spend good money, consume drinks and eat food that is artificially doctored, take medications that have side effects and engage in various fashionable diets that actually undermine their health."

Precisely. His framework is royally EFFED.

I've been hearing chatter about how we're seeing the exact mechanism by which our population is going to thin itself out again. We can only hope. :)

Allen Tluczek 11-10-2010 02:16 PM

Thought about the same things when reading that. Sure, if you are going to craft a public policy to reduce obesity (both not doing it and doing it have failed, so what's left?) it would be better to target kids because they are more likely to maintain habits into adulthood. But saying adults shouldn't bother trying because it's too hard? Right.

Sasha Specht 11-10-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos (Post 866301)
"spend good money, consume drinks and eat food that is artificially doctored, take medications that have side effects and engage in various fashionable diets that actually undermine their health."

Obviously she hasn't heard of paleo.

Mike Kelley 11-11-2010 12:28 PM

sounds similar to setpoint theory

Matt D Miller 11-11-2010 12:41 PM

As a person who lost about 60# in my early twenties, I have to say that statistics don't mean crap to the individual. I think while, yes it is harder for an adult to change his/her habits, this doesn't mean they should give up. If I had taken that approach, my quality of life would be so much lower. I couldn't imagine not participating in mountain biking, kendo, or crossfit. Easily the best life decision I've made.

Michael Jarossy 11-11-2010 12:50 PM

Wow, that article made me angry. Getting in shape isn't easy, but it's not impossible as this jackwagon would have you believe. :mad:

Sam Ser 11-11-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos (Post 866301)
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/1....html?hpt=Sbin
WFS

This article is solely opinion, thank God, but I'm sure someone out there will use it as ammo.

To sum, Etzioni is saying that focusing our energy on trying to get adults to become healthier is pointless because "body mass is very resistant to change once it settles." Like "cement." And because the only way to get people healthy is to "spend good money, consume drinks and eat food that is artificially doctored, take medications that have side effects and engage in various fashionable diets that actually undermine their health."

So, we should essentially give up on everyone that's past childhood, let them go their merry, Twinkie-eating way, and attack the problem where it starts, in childhood.

Yes, but how do we do that? According to Etzioni it's....drumrollll....PUBLIC POLICY! Especially laudable is Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" program. Because you know, her agenda of eat fresh foods, low fat whole grains blah blah blah is completely groundbreaking and not at all what the government has been pushing for 30 years.

Sigh. I agree, kids need to hear this. But I really don't think public policy is the way to go. And I'm annoyed at his "just give up" attitude.

meghan, i think you're really overreacting.

i agree that the article is strange, because etzioni's expertise in public policy is far from the field of health. however, the article does NOT make the outrageous statements that you claim it does.

etzioni merely points out the *fact* that most adults fail to make, or maintain, significant improvements in body composition and health as they age. from a public policy standpoint, that's a considerable hurdle to overcome if you're trying to figure out a way to use government resources to improve public health.

far from making a statement about whether adults *ought* to make greater efforts to change their habits, or whether this or that program would work for adults, etzioni suggests that the government would get a greater return on its investment of public funds by focusing its efforts on children -- not only because habits are formed at a young age, but because the government wields tremendous influence over children through public schools, where it can affect children's eating habits and physical activity habits.

that may not be an exhaustive review of the public policy options for improving public health for all ages, but it is a reasonable point to make about one part of it.

Meghan Reid 11-11-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Ser (Post 866721)
meghan, i think you're really overreacting.

i agree that the article is strange, because etzioni's expertise in public policy is far from the field of health. however, the article does NOT make the outrageous statements that you claim it does.

etzioni merely points out the *fact* that most adults fail to make, or maintain, significant improvements in body composition and health as they age. from a public policy standpoint, that's a considerable hurdle to overcome if you're trying to figure out a way to use government resources to improve public health.

far from making a statement about whether adults *ought* to make greater efforts to change their habits, or whether this or that program would work for adults, etzioni suggests that the government would get a greater return on its investment of public funds by focusing its efforts on children -- not only because habits are formed at a young age, but because the government wields tremendous influence over children through public schools, where it can affect children's eating habits and physical activity habits.

that may not be an exhaustive review of the public policy options for improving public health for all ages, but it is a reasonable point to make about one part of it.

I don't think it's overreacting that I'm insulted that the author has essentially written off the 2/3 of Americans that are medically obese.

Also, my frustration was that the government HAS been aiming their programs and directives at the population as a whole for years and years and it. hasn't. worked.

The author is essentially removing personal responsibility from the equation - "you're already fat, and it's really hard to get healthy, so let's not even bother trying to make you get healthy any more, we'll just shift our focus elsewhere." Only, if we give up on the parents, do we really think we're going to have any kind of positive effect on the kids?

You can teach kids til you're blue in the face about healthy eating (which has been done in schools for years, at least since I was a little kid), but if they don't go home to healthy parents with healthy habits, it won't matter.

Spencer James 11-11-2010 10:55 PM

nevermind