CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Training for Power without Olympic Lifts (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44859)

Ryan Whitley 04-01-2009 05:46 AM

Training for Power without Olympic Lifts

What exercises can be used to develop power besides the Olympic lifts? I thought of dumbell variants of Olympic lifts and plyometrics. Any other movements that might be helpful?

Christian Mason 04-01-2009 07:05 AM

Re: Training for Power without Olympic Lifts

Any movement with an explosive component will help develop power (but the Olympic lifts are arguably one of the best methods)

Push Presses, Push Jerks (do they count as o-lifts?), wall ball, box jumps, jump squats, jingle-jangles.

I've heard coaches (and at least one study) recommend heavy barbell jump shrugs for athletes who don't have time to learn proper O-lift form, but want some of the training benefits.

Depending on the nature of your sport you could also look at some of the Louis Simmons/Westside barbell stuff they do on a speed day such as explosive sets with chains, weight releasers, etc..

Brian Bedell 04-01-2009 07:29 AM

Power = load x distance/time. Not sure how you can increase your power better then with an oly lift. Why do you want subs? Just do the darn oly lifts, use the dumbbells if you have to, or for variety. Thrusters I guess would be good too. Squat and DL of course too.

Ryan Whitley 04-01-2009 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=Brian Bedell;556145]Power = load x distance/time. Not sure how you can increase your power better then with an oly lift. Why do you want subs? Just do the darn oly lifts, use the dumbbells if you have to, or for variety. Thrusters I guess would be good too. Squat and DL of course too.[/QUOTE]

The question isn't is there a better way to develop power than oly lifts. I agree that oly lifts are the best tool for developing power. But they require a barbell with bumper plates. I have these in my garage, I don't have them at my in-laws' house. I don't have them on deployment. I don't have them when I have to use a globo gym.

Do you mean speed sets with squats and dl's?

Jamie J. Skibicki 04-01-2009 07:47 AM

YOu could also throw things of various weights for some combination of distance and height. When you are on deployment, you can use a sandbag (sea bags work great for this) can be used instead of the barbell.

Justin Gross 04-01-2009 07:58 AM

You can still do the movements w/o a barbell. You gotta be resourceful, find odd objects, pick them up off the ground and put them over your head. Rocks, your pack, tires, a loaded seabag. Use what you have around. That's what it's all about.

Phillip Garrison 04-01-2009 11:20 AM

Power is simply about moving weight at speed and going for triple extension for the lower body. Any of the exercises they listed can achieve improvements in power.

Jacob Cloud 04-01-2009 11:33 AM

Throw stuff.

Bert Brams 04-01-2009 12:24 PM

Many ways to skin a cat ...

Box squats are one way(whether or not you use bands and/or chains is up to you).

The same things applies for deadlifts. Using the dynamic effort popularized by Westside(using around 50-60% of your max, but doing very explosive reps for multiple sets)is extremely effective for both squats, deadlifts and benches.

Various box jumps are great too.

Joe Defranco used all of the above and seldom uses the o-lifts with his athletes.

Do a search on Elitefts.com in the articles section for more about this. Joe Defranco also has some interesting articles and q&a on his website about this.

Here's a seminar in which Simmons explains why he thinks the o-lifts aren't good for sports and why box squats are better(also posted on this forum):

[url]http://macthrowvideo2.com/2006NTCALS.wmv[/url] (wfs)

"In my opinion, Olymic lifts [full, not hang] are not good for sports. Why? Because you have a controlled first pull... The first pull is controlled so you don't distort the second pull... But show me a sport where you have a slow first step; I'll show you a kid sitting on the sidelines."

Jason R O'Dell 04-01-2009 12:28 PM

Hmmmm, that's good advice Bert.

I'm someone that needs to build explosive power for sports but I can't clean and jerk or snatch. I've never been properly taught and I'm not one to teach myself or learn from a book. So until someone teaches me I'm really stuck not being able to use it.
However I bench, squat and deadlift. Applying more explosiveness to the lifts could be helpful and I may give it a shot. Though I already generally try to explode up on my bench and squats. I rarely do them slow. As far as DL's, I just kind of move at a normal speed. And I'm always explosive with my push presses and swings.
I guess if you try to be explosive in all your workouts that should build the kind of power you need for sports.

Throwing heavy stuff sounds like a good workout too!