CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What do you think of my program and diet? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=79373)

Thomas Mitchell 12-18-2012 02:48 AM

What do you think of my program and diet?

Im 6 foot, 92kgs, and looking to get stronger and leaner.

My maxes are-
Bench 115kg
Squat 130kg
Press 75kg
Deadlift 180kg

My current program ive done for the last week and am going to do for the next 8 weeks, i like 5x5 training the most and am hoping it builds my strength.

Monday
5x5 bench
WOD
5minute core finisher

Tuesday
5x5 Squat
2 assistance excercises

Wednesday
Cardio day which wil be swimming just a nice easy 2km swim at my own time

Thursday
5x5 Press
WOD
5 minute core finisher

Friday
5x5 Deadlift
2 assistance exercises

Saturday
Rest or mobility work and stretching

Sunday
Rest

i will mix it up and do the WODs on the squat and deadlift the next week and the WODs i will choose from CFFB or the crossfit site.

My diet-

Breaky- 4 fried eggs on 2 slices of ham on wholemeal bread
Snack- handful of almonds and a kiwi fruit
Lunch- salad, either a pumpkin and pinenut salad or a salad with meat like turkey or beef.
Snack- Tuna wrap with advocado tomato etc i mix it up cucumber carrots etc
Postworkout- Optimum Nutrition 100% whey with whole milk ( i usually finish my workout by 6pm)
Dinner- meat and and big serving of vegies and some sweet potato

I also take bronx wildbull creatine monohydrate before i workout

Let me know what you think, i know my workout and diet isnt perfect but its a start and i can work on it. I also train from home with over $2000 worth of equipment. Thanks

Robert Fabsik 12-18-2012 07:06 AM

Re: What do you think of my program and diet?

Looks pretty reasonable to me.

Dylan Forbes 12-18-2012 07:18 AM

Pretty good start mate. Cant see anything immediately wrong with it.

I'd probably do just 2-3 sets of 5 deadlifts, they might become tough to recover from as it gets heavier.

Also ensure you're getting enough carbs to fuel this thing.

Paulo Santos 12-18-2012 07:29 AM

How come you do 2 MetCons on upper body days and assistance on lower body days? Also, 5x5 on Deadlift days may be too much.

Thomas Mitchell 12-19-2012 01:22 AM

on the first week ill do the wods on upper body days then the next week switch and do the lower body days and assistance on the upper body

Anthony Dubis 12-19-2012 03:45 AM

I'm a big fan of doing one of the big lifts each day (squat, bench, etc.) and finishing up with a WOD. It's always felt like the right amount of volume (check out Crossfit Football if you haven't already).

Pearse Shields 12-19-2012 05:21 AM

I'd suggest adding in an upper body pull after the pressing days, just to keep things balanced out. Rows and weighted pull-ups are great at developing strength, and you want to make sure to keep any potential imbalances sorted.

What are your planned assistance exercises so far?

Dylan Forbes 12-19-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearse Shields (Post 1118023)
I'd suggest adding in an upper body pull after the pressing days, just to keep things balanced out. Rows and weighted pull-ups are great at developing strength, and you want to make sure to keep any potential imbalances sorted.

What are your planned assistance exercises so far?

Yep, this is important for shoulder health. I just assumed that'd be part of the assistance.

Eric Montgomery 12-19-2012 09:11 AM

The 5x5s will start to get too taxing, probably sooner rather than later...it's a lot of volume at a relatively high percentage of your max and you'll have a hard time adding weight to the bar each workout for long.

Your approach looks almost exactly like a 4x per week 5/3/1 template (big lift+assistance+metcon) so I'd recommend looking at switching to 5/3/1 percentages rather than a linear 5x5 fairly soon.

Andrew N. Casey 12-19-2012 09:38 AM

i recommend that you stop skipping from one thread to another. you never finished up your thread about eating, then you post a thread about supplements, now this one. the best thing you can do is stop trying to make up your own "secret sauce" routine and just follow a proven program. i personally think workout plan you have is not good at all. there are many good programs out there that will let you get bigger and stronger while maintaining or even improve conditioning. pick one and then stick with it for a several months.