CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75104)

Victor J McQuaide 04-04-2016 09:46 AM

Re: 2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal

Saturday-
5 sets not for time
5 strict hs pushs deficit- 2"-5"
5 strict t2b with a rag between feet
5 kipping with legs together

50 db snatches 70#- about 4 min. Right are money, left arm funny
rest 2 min
50 ghd's- my back and fitness did not like this- was fine up to 25 then back said slow down
rest 2 min
50 s2o with 135#- ate my lunch- 10/10/6/5/5/4/5/5
rest 2 min
Accumulate 1 min of L sit- this one needs work- took 3 min to do this.

Clean grip dl-
7x2 :03 seconds on the way down-
135,185,235,265, 295,315,335x2 reps.. the weight felt like a house.

Stretching and mobile rest of day.

Got plenty of stuff to work on.

Victor J McQuaide 04-04-2016 10:08 AM

Sunday workout with Coach Corey-
Death by c2b-
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, 8 looked at my hands well lets just say not a good site. They have been so good. Should have protected them better. 4 new spots in the warm up. :(

8 min to find a max hang squat snatch- 3.2.1 go
135,155,167, 177F, 177, 183F. Happy with the 177# considering my previous max was 185.

warm up hang clean, rowing and pistols.

2012 regional workout
2000 meter row
50 pistols
30 hang cleans 225#

This is what happens when you don't work hang cleans. In December I had some great strength on this.. no workey workey for 4 months because back did not like them well at least heavy. 225# is my heavy spot. Seems thing under are good but I gotta break that amount soon.

Row went fine 1:55 pace got off rower about 7:45.. started pistols alternating just trying to get thru them. Took about 3-4 min for them.

Got pumped up to do the first rep.. picked up the bar, attempted but F second rep close but fail.. then 10 reps with singles.. failed the last attempt at the buzzer. 10 reps with 3 fails. Not horrible but needs work. Gotta say in the warm up the 225# was super heavy.

Leaving the bloody bar to clean later.

5x15 reps of reverse ghd followed by a 5 min 135# sled pull.

Stretching and mobile afterwards.

Victor J McQuaide 04-05-2016 09:57 AM

Monday was active recovery.

Stretch, Turkish Get ups- 22-70# each arm.

Some 250 meter sprints with the rower.. checking out different feet positions.

Little bit more stretching in the evening.

Got 3 tough days ahead of me this week.

Victor J McQuaide 04-06-2016 09:09 AM

Tuesday-
Warm up with stretch, floss and oh squat with dumbbell.

Find in 10 max strict press- 182#

Use that weigh for max reps push press- used 185#. Did 5 reps with 1 min in between sets.

8 min amrap-
3 snatch 95#
3 t2b
6 snatch
6 t2b.. and so on.
118 reps. Really slow on t2b and took to much time doing the snatches.. to much rest. 130 might be a good score.

Right after do 50 ring dips for time. 2:30.. bunch of 5's, 4's, 3's and some single skate at the end.

8 reps underhand barbell rows with :02 hold squeeze at the top
followed by :30 plank hold with the rings. 5 sets back and forth. 95-105#. I am really weak or need work at my last pulls. I have some muscles that need to get in shape. Crunch time. About 11 workout days left to Masters Qual.

History says that I move up from my open position. Goal is top 20 then get to work.

Back is getting better. I think that all of the turkish get ups, accessory work, ohs squats with dumbbell is working on the strength.

Alex Burden 04-07-2016 04:01 AM

Hi Vic,

based on how things have gone so far and your current programming, are you where you want to be today or ahead/behind?

How do you measure this?

Victor J McQuaide 04-07-2016 10:08 AM

Wed-
Warm up with bands, stretch.. hip circle

Front squat- 240x5 reps, 255x5 reps then 225x10x2 was very hard.

10 sets of E2OM-
1 legless rope climb- thought about climbing higher up to God
7 open standard hspu
3 dead lifts- 295-335#

Completed most of the rounds :40-45. Was huffing and sweating. Good call. Hands are ok.

5 rounds-
20 un broken wall balls- even no repped myself 3 times
10 un broken ghd- about 10 seconds transition.

Took about 8 min total.

20 min romwod after the workout.

On paper seemed like not that much but overall was a hard session.

Victor J McQuaide 04-07-2016 10:21 AM

Alex,
Thank you for the note.

I have to consider where I started out this year. Was super strong going just coming off a comp maxes were climbing steady. My teammate and I just got near top 10 in a comp that had mostly regional types individuals with some blunders on our end. End of December then got sick for about 10 days starting Christmas, then jumped back into training and got a little ahead of myself. Bing goes the back. So bad that I contemplated taking some time off going against the big boys. Same injury that i had competing at a large event the year prior.

I was in bed sad for a day then realized that I need to fix this if I am going to do the sport long time.

Enter mobilize, yoga, romwod, OHS with dumbbells, and Turkish get ups.

I have been doing them straight for months. My back is near 80%.

With each injury we have the opportunity to grow and get stronger develop more repair tools.

I believe that I can be even stronger because I have some room for that.

Goal was to do my best at the open, only do the workouts 1 time no matter what, and train during the open. Keep the focus still on the mobility, yoga and strengthen the muscles around me plus working on the weaknesses.

Finishing the open 2 squat cleans away from top 10 was a surprise and happy about that.

Now the focus is working on the weakness, building my motor, 5-7 met cons a week, 3 on and 1 off until the Master Qual. Mainly trying to improve my mental strength with a Mental coach. I have a really hard time going 100%. Finding that my control issues leak into my efforts also. Don't like to have people see me weak and in pain. Stems from getting bullied in Jr high and 1st part of high school.

Am I ahead or behind.. well I would like to say that I am right where I am supposed to be. I always want to be be better but I feel that I have a plan to peek right when they announce the workouts.

I meditate, make a support list and blessing list before they announce the workouts. That way the workouts have no power over if they are good or not with me. I just make a plan and do them.

I usually start with the max and my favorite met con on Thursday. Then rest the next day, hit the next one on Sunday and finally have a chance to re do a met con or max on Monday.

I have been lucky in the years past with having hit a pr on both maxes.

When the event timing gets tighter (basically 4 workouts in 4 days) history says that I do better because of my quick recovery.

I look forward to doing the work. About 10 days of training left. Then smashing the workouts. Goal is to be in the top 20. I would be happy get 20th after the smoke is cleared.

I still feel that I am in the infancy stage with how much I need to work on. I usually pick a sport and try to get to the highest personal potential then on with the next one. This one is so different because it encompasses so many moving parts. I am enjoying it right now.

Its good to reflect and then put things on paper.

Thank you for the question Alex!

Alex Burden 04-07-2016 11:28 AM

Thanks for taking your time with such a detailed reply Vic.

This is what is missing in general from the forum, how hard things get and what you need to do to reach the top.

i hope allot of people read this, this is very good information for anyone at any level.

Victor J McQuaide 04-07-2016 12:43 PM

Thank you Alex.. have a good weekend of training!

Victor J McQuaide 04-08-2016 09:24 AM

Thursday with Coach Dawn Fletcher.

Warm up with hip circle, ohs, stretching.

14 rounds
1 pc
1 hsc
1 sjerk
Working up to a heavy weight.
2 un broken m/u in between sets-
95-230#
MU felt great-

Complete for time-
10-1
c2b- un broken
70# kb swings- un broken
box jump overs- un broken

worked on fast transitions and fast c2b and swings while recovering on box jump overs- Paced till 5 then sped up. Dawn was happy about that.

55 reps of each for a total of 165 reps- 7:08 or about 23 reps per min.

Rest 15 min then 7 min burpee to a 6" target.

Dawn sat me down and wanted me to do 15 burpees per min for the first 5 min then drop the hammer on the last 2 min.

2012 I did 110 reps. Goal was to get more than the 110. Burpees are really not my thing. But I went along with it. 5 min in 75 burpees.. ended up doing 17 in min 6 and 19 in min 7. Total of 111. Sadly when I knew that I was going to make the goal I mentally shut down. I took my foot off my competitors neck. This is were I struggle. Going all out and leaving myself in a spitting and sputtering mess on the floor.

Good news is that I am getting better at this. More good news I that I am not going 100% so I can get even better each year with age.

Felt good to have a solid 3 days of training. Active recovery tonight. Followed by some serious training Sat, Sun and Monday. 13 days to MQ. I will be ready.