CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Random slow recovery (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66573)

Kevin Bean 04-18-2011 10:43 PM

Random slow recovery

Twice in the past three weeks I've experienced two bouts of slow recovery. Once while doing Helen and most recently while doing Hammer. Both times i was sweating heavier than normal, felt like my heart was working harder and couldn't get my breathing under control.

I have workout induced asthma and allergies, if I control my allergies I usually don't feel the asthma. Both times I wasn't experiencing any allergy symptoms and my asthma symptoms are generally the feeling of a tight chest/small lungs, which isn't the case during these episodes.

With these incidents of slow recovery I'm able to breath deep but it seems that I just can't get my heart rate down. After Helen, I was breathing heavy for close to 10 min after.

Diet is mostly clean foods and I've been getting at least 8 hours of sleep. I 5/3/1 squats,
presses, dead lifts with short met cons after and try to hit 2-3 longer metcons a week.

Any ideas what I'm experiencing?

David Hansen 04-25-2011 05:44 PM

Re: Random slow recovery

You just described every crossfit workout I've ever done so far( a little more than a month in ).

I thought the workouts were *intended* to destroy you. I didn't realize most of you guys only experience occasional "bouts" of this.

Wonderful :)

D. Č. 04-26-2011 02:35 PM

I always have the same symptoms when I'm about to get a cold or something alike. + I sleep like 10-12 hours a day

Melody Glasgow 04-26-2011 09:05 PM

What about stress?

Kevin Bean 04-27-2011 12:06 PM

Considering my profession, I'm relatively stress free until the Comcast bill comes in. I don't remember any significant stressors when I had the symptoms but I'll be cognizant of it next time.

Could under eating elicit this type of response?

Domagoj, nice pic :)

David, keep at it dude you'll notice you're picking yourself off the ground quicker and quicker.

Melody Glasgow 04-27-2011 03:31 PM

Under eating can definitely hinder recovery. In my experience, not eating enough protein will do the same even if you get the calories. I was having recovery issues and I replaced an egg in my morning scramble with about 3 oz of turkey breast and within a week the issues went away.

Another thing, too, is that you can pick up germs that your body expends energy fighting off but they never gets out of control enough to make you actually feel sick, or you'll only have mild symptoms. This can affect recovery too.