CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Before/After: Workout #1 of Starting Strength to Workout #29 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63580)

Michael Loucas 12-13-2010 10:57 PM

Before/After: Workout #1 of Starting Strength to Workout #29

1 Attachment(s)
Height: 5'11
Background: BBing when I was young and stupid, then crossfit about a year and a half (my own programming with a little strength bias) and now SS.

Did some comparisons because I video all my workouts.

Picture one is of my work set of 265 on 10/4/2010, my first starting strength workout. (Stupid me started at my real 5 rep max of 265)

Picture two is of my work set of 315 on 12/12/2010, my 29th starting strength workout. My butt calves quads and hamstrings grew a ton.

Went from bodyweight 198-200 to a bodyweight of 204-206. Didn't gain too much weight, but put on a ton of lean body mass in my lower body.

Also in the beginning I squatted shoeless and beltless. Later I purchased both a belt and weight lifting shoes, which helped immensly.

Anyone who is wants to gain a lot of strength relatively quickly and safely, should definitely give SS a try.

Michael Loucas 12-14-2010 12:33 AM

Re: Before/After: Workout #1 of Starting Strength to Workout #29

Err, it won't let me edit. First picture is 245.

Matt Haxmeier 12-14-2010 12:38 AM

Nice. That's good progress in a short amount of time. You can tell a big difference in the size of your hamstrings.

Ian Nigh 12-14-2010 12:54 AM

you also seem to have gone from high bar to low bar...

Scott A Martin 12-14-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Nigh (Post 879109)

That looks like a flexibility issue. Look how far his wrists are bent back in the first pic. If he tried to get the bar any lower, his wrists wouldn't allow it.

To the OP, great work!

Tamara Cohen 12-14-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Nigh (Post 879109)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott A Martin (Post 879129)
That looks like a flexibility issue. Look how far his wrists are bent back in the first pic. If he tried to get the bar any lower, his wrists wouldn't allow it.

It's also because he took the time to ask for critique/advice and made the necessary changes to get better :).

Nice work, Michael.

Brian Bedell 12-14-2010 07:26 AM

Good stuff. I revert back to SS'ish all the time.

There is a testimonial section, just saying...

Eric Montgomery 12-14-2010 07:34 AM

Pretty solid looking bottom position on that 315 rep.

I'm guessing you had to throw out all your old jeans and dress pants in favor of sweatpants and Snuggies.

Michael Loucas 12-14-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott A Martin (Post 879129)

To the OP, great work!

Wasn't a flexibility issue, I had no problems in the high bar position. Low bar is what is reccommended when doing SS. If anything I had more flexibility issues in low bar, but over time those issues went away.

Michael Loucas 12-14-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Bedell (Post 879183)
Good stuff. I revert back to SS'ish all the time.

There is a testimonial section, just saying...

Oops. Mod can move this post if they want.

Michael Loucas 12-14-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 879189)
Pretty solid looking bottom position on that 315 rep.

I'm guessing you had to throw out all your old jeans and dress pants in favor of sweatpants and Snuggies.

Haha, yeah my pants do fit a bit tigher. Good thing I've always bought loose fitting jeans, now they fit like normal jeans should. Dress pants though are another story...

Justin Baum 12-17-2010 04:43 PM

that's good stuff michael. my quads got so big on SS in just a couple of months that i had to get all new pants.

Michael Loucas 12-17-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Baum (Post 880743)
that's good stuff michael. my quads got so big on SS in just a couple of months that i had to get all new pants.

Yeah, I don't mind the huge quads. My problem is my glutes got so much bigger. I hate it.

Joe Bernard 12-17-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Loucas (Post 880761)
Yeah, I don't mind the huge quads. My problem is my glutes got so much bigger. I hate it.

I don't mind it, I've gotten a number of compliments and butt smacks :D

Andrew Lallos 12-22-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Loucas (Post 879087)

Went from bodyweight 198-200 to a bodyweight of 204-206. Didn't gain too much weight, but put on a ton of lean body mass in my lower body.

Michael, did you do GOMAD during this period? Regardless of yes/no, what did the rest of your diet look like? Controlled, or "see food, eat food"?

Michael Loucas 12-23-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos (Post 882428)
Michael, did you do GOMAD during this period? Regardless of yes/no, what did the rest of your diet look like? Controlled, or "see food, eat food"?

No GOMAD, although I'm sure my gains would have been so much more massive if I did. I was already at a decent weight and didn't need or want to gain too much, I gained about 10 lbs of weight over the course of the 12 weeks. I just mainly listened to my body, after my workout (squat bench and deadlift in the same day is killer, especially with 3 sets of the same weight across) I get so hungry anyways that I'd end up eating a lot as a result. I generally try to eat clean, but I'm not strictly dieting, mostly avoiding sugar. So yeah pretty much see food eat food. I just did a crossfit total, and broke 1000 so I'm going to go back to crossfit now I think and try to pick up a strict diet if I can. It sucks doing a wod when you weigh 200+ lbs.

Robert Stone 12-23-2010 03:12 PM

Great work and great results! This makes me happy with my decision to start SS on the 15th of next month. If my results are close to what yours were then I will be more than pleased.