CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 01-10-2012 08:35 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Rest day yesterday. Pretty low key day today

A1. Hang power snatch 1.1.1 x 3 sets; rest 120s 135 for all
A2. Weighted dip 3 x 3 sets; rest 120s 1 pood KB
B1. Back squat 2-3 reps x 3 sets; rest 120s 275,285,295
B2. Weighted chin-up 2-3 reps x 3 sets; rest 120s 24 kg, 24+5#(2), 24+5#

The snatches felt a little off today, I have video of all three sets, just not sharp. Never done weighted dips so I started fairly light. The squats were all done HBBS, which I ams still getting used to. The chins, I broke the belt I was using to hold the weight on rep 3 of set 2, so I did the same weight for 3 again. Pretty sure it matches a PR, but I definitely can do more weight next time.

Also I worked on muscle ups a bit last night and did two on the minute for ten minutes after I worked my false grip for about ten minutes mostly just holding the grip and coming in and pout of pull ups. Seems to help. Likely do some more and work into higher rep sets. Bedtime.

Jason A Smith 01-11-2012 08:48 PM

Feeling pretty tired tonight. I did not (for a variety of reasons) get a good sleep last night. Got to training after kids to bed.

5 min @ 85%
5 ring dips
40 double unders
6 rounds + 3 dips
+ rest 5 minutes
5 min @ 85%
10 wall ball
10 Power clean, 95#
4 rounds
+ rest 5 minutes
5 min @ 85%
10 push-ups
10 box jumps, 24"
5 rounds + 10 push ups + 5 box jumps
+ rest 5 minutes
5 min @ 85%
10 chin-ups
10 burpees
4 rounds even

I was feeling pretty gassed by the last round of 5 min. I took video of all this which I will upload tomorrow night. It's time for bed.

Jason A Smith 01-13-2012 02:19 PM

I had a rest day yesterday but back at it today:

Row 5 minutes EZ
+
7xRow 60s @ 90%; Row 60s EZ
1. 274m, 1:50
2. 273m, 1:49
3. 274m, 1:49
4. 272m, 1:50
5. 273m, 1:49
6. 274m, 1:49
7. 276m, 1:48

+
5:00 AMRAP HSPU
41 total
+
7xRow 60s @ 95%; Row 60s EZ
1. 283m, 1:46
2. 286m, 1:44
3. 286m, 1:44
4. 283m, 1:46
5. 280m, 1:47
6. 280m, 1:47
7. 282m, 1:46

+
Row 5 minutes EZ

I think after that my set 1 rows were a little slow and my set 2 rows a little too fast. I recovered too easily on the first rows and too slowly on the second ones. I had a plan on the HSPUs which went pretty well. I tried to do 5 every 30s and it worked to set 6 and then fell apart on set 6, once the arms go on the HSPUs they go in a hurry and don't seem to come back quickly. Next time I wold try to do AMRAP from the start and work my way that way. Planning on doing OPT Constructions Series #3 tomorrow should be a fun time.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2012 03:20 PM

So you are still doing the OPT, what do you think of it? Are you getting stronger?

Jason A Smith 01-13-2012 03:31 PM

Nik,

I am "sort of" still doing OPT thing. I enlisted the help of a guy who is local-"ish" to do my programming for a while. It is basically what is taught by OPT but is customized a bit for what I need to work on. As far as getting stronger goes, that was/is not my problem to compete at Opens this year. Last year I was plenty strong enough but I could not maintain an effort past 2 minutes in the workouts without a real struggle. My Oly lifting has gotten better and my aerobic (longer than 12 min) is pretty good. And really short stuff (like about 2 mind or less) is also good. I need to keep working in the 8-12 min range at making gains.

Still lots of practice for Muscle Ups, HSPUs and Olympic Lifting.

I am enjoying having someone to ask questions about what exactly the intent of a workout is and where I should be hitting the gas and where to back off a bit and pace. I am planning on being a competitive "exerciser" this spring so I thought I should put in the effort required to do it as well.

So yes I am enjoying it and yes I am improving. I think it is a wonderful program to follow and I have gained a pile of respect for all the Big Dawgs out there. There are quite a few guys on there that while not Crossfit stars are very (and I mean top ten Regionals) good. I am staying strong and still improving, not as fast as on CFFB but that is just fine too. I have work in many other areas that is just as important and hard to gain as well. Lactic endurance does not come easily !

Out of curiosity, why did you ask ?

Nik Nichols 01-13-2012 04:53 PM

Just wondering how you are doing.

Sounds good to have some one to coach you efforts like that.

I see it as two kinds of people. Those who plot their workouts and know where to be per set.

Those whe just go. This is me. I have no plan. I just go and hope I hold up and adapt as the workout goes. Not a really good plan. To have someone plan for you and get you use to the pace is great!

Jason A Smith 01-13-2012 06:41 PM

Yeah, no plotting by me otherwise I'd have it all screwed up six ways to Sunday. I really do like the OPT stuff as posted but I know based on myself that I needed someone to help me out a bit if I really want to make a run this year. Very lucky to be able to do it. The engineer and former athlete in me does not like to "wing it". Although I wish I would have been more structured with my skating training looking back on it. There are many days when I am not feeling it but once I get going it all works out.

In case anyone is interested this is what I will be doing tomorrow:

On the hour, every hour:

1st hour:
C&J - 205/115#
MU's
(1 score = time)

2nd hour:
2K Row + Max DU's in 10 min
(2 scores = time for row and reps of DU's)

3rd hour:
R KB Snatch - 2/1.5 pd
L KB Snatch - 2/1.5 pd
Burpees - vertical body at top
(1 score = time)

4th hour:
12 min amrap
10 wall balls - 20/14# to 10ft
5 toes to bar
(1 score = reps)

Looks like a good day. I am hoping the C & J's don't take me the whole first hour. That is very close to my max on the jerk, the cleans are quite doable but I want to test and see if I can complete it Rx'd. I may call it at 15 min if I can't finish. I will have the video camera on for the whole works. I have a strategy worked out and plan on sticking to it. Going for a PR on the row is part of it as well as trying to do Part 3 unbroken. Should be a great test both physically and mentally.

Nik Nichols 01-14-2012 11:47 AM

Looks like a good days work. The first workout would be rough on me as that 205 is right at my hitt or miss area. I use to be real solid at that weight but have not been keeping up with the oly like I use too.

I would never be able to do that workout no my schedual. I do'nt have the time for dedicating 4 hours like that. Plus I do'nt hav a rower so it would be3 200reps SDHP withh a bar to start ( suck central, I have been there)

Jason A Smith 01-14-2012 05:24 PM

Well, that was fun. I just finished about 40 min ago. Here's the carnage.

1. 15:45
2. 7:26 row + 170 DU's
3. 9:26
4. 12 rounds even

Here's my thoughts on each

1. Mostly just happy to complete this as Rx'd. I need to learn how to jerk weight properly. That and being able to string MU's together would have cut my time n half....at least. Luckily we're working on all these things.

2. I PR'd the row:high five:. I did not do well at all on the DU's. I tripped at least 5 times. Was hoping for 200 and gave myself plenty of time to get it.

3. Those 2 pood snatches got heavy, fast. Plan was to try and go through UB which would have been doable at 1.5 pood for sure. I am always a little scared of that move but I think I got the hang of it just need to get some endurance on them. This crushed my soul as I was really hoping for around 5 minutes just took too long of breaks. I took video and it was a mess to watch afterwards.

4. WB's I broke on purpose 5-5 with breaths in between. I should not have done this, it backfired a bunch. I really could have done 16 rounds (which would have been a good score) except the wall balls. My ball is also 25 lbs which means that I do an extra rep every four ! I may have to buy the proper ball.

Overall I am happy that I was able to do all the WOD's as Rx'd. To me (I could be wrong) these felt like Regionals weight type stuff which is a little heavy for me right now. I am headed in the right direction and have some confidence heading to my local comp in two weeks. Felt ready to go each hour so the stamina is there and only tapered off slightly on the last WOD. I will be tired tomorrow !

Jason A Smith 01-15-2012 03:00 PM

I thought I would be a little morE gassed today but not too bad. Didn't sleep very well at all last night. Was scheduled for a recovery day and it went as follows:

Sunday - Recovery
5 sets:
4 min EZ Row
10 Wall Climbs
10 TGU's - 35# (5 per arm)

All in all pretty good. I had a good sweat going and was plenty "breathy" for the wall walks and the TGU's. They seem to only fatigue my shoulders when I do them.

Two weeks to Frostfit and I feel like I am getting ready. After yesterday's I should be good for just about anything they can dish out. Need to dial in the nutrition and rest for the next two weeks. That will be my focus, that and pushing through some uncomfortable spots during training sessions.