CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Recommended barbell in Australia (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40859)

Jeremy Lamplough 12-29-2008 05:03 PM

Recommended barbell in Australia

Hi all,

What barbell (olympic) are people happy with down-under? I've got a cheap one that rattles too much when I drop it (with bumpers) and the end bolt keeps needing tightening and the ends don't spin well.

But all the ones I've looked at are 30mm or larger shaft. I want a 28mm or 28.5mm shaft for Olympic lifting.

Phoned york australia and they aren't selling the ones available in the USA.

Any pointers?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Carter Jee 12-29-2008 08:21 PM

Re: Recommended barbell in Australia

gday.....my trainer recommended getting a barbell from the Australian Barbell Co. the only problem is that they only sell commercial... if you've got a mate in the gym business, you might be able to get it through them....

if you've got the coin, australian kettlebells co sell zhang kong barbells (proper olympic lifting bells... they used them in beijing)... a bit of an overkill for our purposes....

i get pretty miffed that we can't get any of the good stuff our american counterparts have access to!!

carter

Jeremy Lamplough 12-30-2008 09:34 PM

Hi Carter,

Yes the zhang kong are out of my price range. I'm looking at a max of $400 - 500 AUD. There seems to be either dirt cheap and crap or certified IWF olympic standard at $1000 or so.

Cheers,
jeremy

Alex Hendry 12-31-2008 08:25 PM

I've got a $200 Oly bar purchsed from Workout World. Doesn't rattle, tightened up once never needed to again.

Might not be the best out there, but it suits my purposes an was at the right price.

Damien Thompson 12-31-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Lamplough (Post 482099)
Hi Carter,

Yes the zhang kong are out of my price range. I'm looking at a max of $400 - 500 AUD. There seems to be either dirt cheap and crap or certified IWF olympic standard at $1000 or so.

Cheers,
jeremy

Send me an email if you want an ABC bar and i'll purchase a Aussie Barbell Co one for you from my account. No mark up for a CrossFitter. From memory the wholesale is around 350ish + shipping.

email me if interested bscCrossFit@gmail.com

Sam Lewis 02-05-2009 12:53 AM

Newbie from Newcastle here..

Has anyone ordered from Exercise Australia?

LINK (work & family safe)

They have the following:
York 320 kg rated Olympic barbell $229
York 450 kg rated Olympic barbell $279
ABC 500 kg rated Olympic Barbell $449

Are the York barbells the same as you would find in the USA? I think I remember hearing that usually the York barbells in Australia are not the same and are lower quality. I'm not sure, so maybe I'm making that up. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also looking for some free standing squat stands like THESE (work/family safe)
and some spotter stands like THESE (WFS) would be nice too. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

These hart stands look good (WFS) but I haven't had any luck finding spotter stands other than those in the USA.

Jeremy Lamplough 02-05-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Lewis (Post 511375)
Newbie from Newcastle here..

Has anyone ordered from Exercise Australia?

LINK (work & family safe)

They have the following:
York 320 kg rated Olympic barbell $229
York 450 kg rated Olympic barbell $279
ABC 500 kg rated Olympic Barbell $449

Are the York barbells the same as you would find in the USA? I think I remember hearing that usually the York barbells in Australia are not the same and are lower quality. I'm not sure, so maybe I'm making that up. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi Sam

Those barbells have been on the website for a long time. However when I went into one of their shops (parramatta), they didn't have those bars available. They were all powerlifting bars with a 30mm+ shaft.

You could try phoning the head office and asking. I phoned York a while ago to ask if their barbell equipment was available in Aus. They said that it wasn't and so i'm guessing that the ones on Exercise Aus website might no longer be available.

I haven't seen spotter stands anywhere in Aus. The squat stands you posted seem OK.

I think the Australian Barbell Company equipment is the best value in Oz. However it isn't available retail. Damien Thompson (from earlier in the thread) sent me some info about it but I haven't purchased anything yet.

Good luck in finding stuff. More equipment such as bumpers is becoming available down here but it takes a bit of finding.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Carter Jee 02-05-2009 04:37 AM

gday...

here's a bit of irony...

found awesome equipment from a new zealand company..

getstrength.com

they supply equipment to the auckland blues, so can't be that bad...

they also have an aussie number, 1800 623 762. haven't contacted them yet, but they do deliver to oz....

carter

Sam Lewis 02-05-2009 04:47 AM

Thanks for the info Jeremy and Carter. I'll might make some phone calls. I just looked at getstrength.com and they have some great equipment and shipping prices seem reasonable. Thanks for the link Carter!

Carter Jee 02-05-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Lewis (Post 511428)
Thanks for the info Jeremy and Carter. I'll might make some phone calls. I just looked at getstrength.com and they have some great equipment and shipping prices seem reasonable. Thanks for the link Carter!

let us know how you go with the getstrength mob....

cheers

carter