CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Shoes-Running-Crossfit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20620)

Jeff Reiser 09-06-2007 09:09 PM

Shoes-Running-Crossfit

I have been trying to find out the "official" crossfit response to this question.

The crossfit community typically follows the best approach to workouts, gear, etc., no matter what the main stream way says.

I have spent the past 10 years running heel to toe. Recently I have been reading more about Pose running and the proper running technique which then discusses using a low profile shoe with minimal heel support.

My questions is what is the "official" crossfit recomendation on running and running shoes? There seems to be a general consensus on weightlifting shoes and techniques so i am wondering what the recomendation is for running?

Also, I want to point out that this is not from a what shoe is cool, it is what is best.

Thanks.

George Mounce 09-06-2007 09:23 PM

Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

I use Vibram Fivefingers as most people on here know. I love them, they are like being barefoot with a nice piece of rubber making sure rocks don't slice your feet apart. Other then that, its like not having shoes on, forcing you to forefoot run, cause if you try to land on your heel first you'll know it immediately.

Rory Gibson 09-07-2007 02:18 AM

You'll get a lot of recommendations for Nike Frees - they're pretty good.

Brandon Oto 09-07-2007 04:15 AM

There's really not an official position.

Susie Rosenberg 09-07-2007 04:59 AM

Jeff, this isn't official, nor is it from someone very experienced, so take it FWIW.

I used to jog regularly in my twenties----about 3-7 miles/day. Not competitive, just for exercise. I always ran heel to toe. I stopped running at 30 and spent the next 18 years getting real fat.

I recently starting running again, training for a half-marathon, and I've done some reading. Most of the material suggests running on the forefoot. Landing on the heel is like putting on the brake.

The book that's helped me the most is Chi Running. After reading the book through once, and putting the form suggestions into practice, I took 7 minutes off my 5 mile time. Since I'm very slow, every little bit helps.

As far as shoes go, ya got me.

Susie

Ben Kaminski 09-07-2007 05:20 AM

Any shoe with a flat sole, low heel, and little padding will serve you well for running as well as any other CrossFit workouts.

I am an Adidas fan and I use nothing but Sambas.

Alexander Aldrich 09-07-2007 06:05 AM

Like Rory said, Nike Frees are the heat. I have fallen in love with them... I mainly got them for weight lifting/CF as I like being lower to the ground and I tried running in them and they felt great.

I have tried on some of my other shoes but they all feel so, cumbersome and just huge, I cant stop wearing these things.

I have the 7.0 running shoes right now but I plan to get a pair of 7.0 trainers and a pair of 3.0 running shoes once these start to wear out.

I am looking for a place to try on a pair of Vibram Five Fingers as I think I could become addicted to them too, we will have to see.

Peter Queen 09-07-2007 06:43 AM

Jeff, as Brandon stated, there really is no official position. But based on my own experiences and reading the other posts on this thread, I would have to say try out different shoes to see what works best for you. A lot of athletic shoe stores now have the harder rubber floor matting. I always try out several shoes and just outright jog around the aisles in them. I make sure no one is in the way and I don’t run all out. But I do just enough to get a good feel for the shoe. The store clerks don’t mind and if they did I would tell them “hey what do you want, I’m working here. I’m trying to decide which shoe feels best for me..otherwise I’ll just take my money elsewhere.” :D But most of the time they are pretty cool with it and they know why I am doing what I am doing. I’ll do walking lunges in them as well up and down the aisle, I don’t care because I want to leave as satisfied as possible. Then I will even go out on a short run with the shoes on a surface that is not too muddy or dirty. I usually go down the paved bike trail near my home. This gives me a great idea of how these shoes will really work for me in the“long run” …no pun intended. If at that point I am still not completely satisfied, I will then take them back to the store and exchange them. But I have over 20 years of running expderience so I know what brands works best for me. Now that I am starting to train in the POSE style, I have notice an overall improvement in my post running leg muscle recovery process because my long running history is that of a heel striking marathoner. I like the ideas that I have read here about getting shoes that have less heel rubber. I can see now how that would be more of an opposing condition to POSE running. So I will have to take that into consideration the next time I get a pair of shoes, which will be soon because I go through at least 2 to 3 shoes per year…my wife is not too happy about the expense. :o I usually switch off between New Balance, NIKE or Sauconies. And they vary in styles every year. Again, the bottom line is that you will just have to try them out for yourself. There is no one shoe for everybody, IMHO.

Good luck.:thumbs_up

Vibram Fivefingers?? Thanks George, I'll have to look for some. :highfive:

Michael Leach 09-07-2007 06:46 AM

I read lots of great things about the Puma H-streets and went out searching for a pair. I found them and they were super comfy, but a bit extreme to wear at my job (where I get away with jeans/polo and tennis shoes), so I ended up with another less-extreme pair of Puma running shoes. After coming home and continuing to read even more awesome reviews about the H-streets and how difficult they were starting to be (since Puma discontinued them), I ended up returning to the store and buying a pair of the H-streets as well. Now, I wear the less-extreme Puma's to work, and wear my funky black & shiny silver H-streets everywhere outside of work.

They're super comfy, but my feet/ankles/etc have been really sore lately. Of course, thats because I switched over to these minimalist running shoes 24/7 cold-turkey, AND tried running that 5K last week using the Pose Method for the first-time. I haven't ran or even jogged in several years and the whole thing was just a bad idea. But I'm recovering. I was actually feeling pretty good until I tried a couple-box jumps and set myself back a few days. From what I've read, it's gonna be a little weird for a couple weeks while your feet/ankles/etc all adjust to supporting your actions rather than the ultra-fancy supportive shoes we've been wearing.

I read about the Nike Frees, but I read too many reviews where people said they fell apart within a couple weeks or even days. Whereas, I read several reviews about the H-streets where they people said they lasted over a year and for some people even longer.

I think the Vibram Five-Fingers would be cool, but I can't find any place locally where I could "check them out" before buying. I hate buying things online where you can try them on first.

just my 2 cents. i paid $59.99 for my Puma H-streets. my only gripe, and its not with the shoes themselves, is that almost all of my jeans are wide-leg, nothing extreme, but i end up walking on part of my pant leg. i've just been cuffing them and looking even more like a dork. and as far as buying pants the right size, if you're a short guy, you can relate, but for the others, jeans generally don't come smaller than a 30" inseam. i'm 5'4" and probably need like a 27" or 28" inseam. sure i could have them hemmed, but i'm still scarred from all the comments i used to get growing up when my mom had to hemm all my pants. ha!

here's a pic of the H-streets:
http://completerunning.com/running-b...7/02/shoes.png

Ben Moskowitz 09-07-2007 08:19 AM

How did those H-streets fit on you? What size foot are you using the metal, big-shoehorn-looking device?
I'll probably have to get them off of Ebay and I share your affinity for trying things on. Oh well.