CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Newbie introduction: are there WOD exercise substitutes? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=605)

Matt K 05-19-2004 09:04 AM

Hi everyone, I recently stumbled across CrossFit while searching for gymnastics info. I downloaded the free CFJ issue and I have to personally say this is the best "fitness philosophy" I have ever come across, at least I think it's the best for my interests.

I don't have a physically demanding job anymore (it's still blue-collar but it's not as demanding as my previous military job). Having stated this, my fitness goal is to remain [i]physically[/i] young, flexible, strong and basically capable to attempt just about any physical activity I wish to endeavor -which is why I really like the CrossFit exercise philosophy because it seeks to cover a broad range of physical movements as well as incorporating enough day-to-day variety to prevent boredom which almost inevitably leads to quitting.

Anyway, I've been practicing various bodyweight exercises for months now and have daily access to a pull-up bar and parallel bars for dips. I also have rigged up web slings (with tube handles) which I loop around my pull-up bar to use for body rows. I figure I can substitute this exercise for rowing but I have some questions about some of the other WOD exercises.

Can anyone recommend any substitutes for the O-Lifts until I can eventually get the necessary equipment. (I do have an adjustable set of dumbells...) I can run, I think I've figured out a way to substiture rowing, and I'm working on getting a bike here soon. I'm also trying to figure out a way to rig up a set of PowerRings somewhere here at my apartment...

I'd appreciate any exercise-substitute suggestions for the O-lifts, swimmimg, and anything else I may not have covered so I can start practicing the WOD exercises sooner than later.

Thanks for any help!
Matt K :happy:

David Wood 05-19-2004 11:09 AM

Hello Matt, and welcome to CrossFit!

Most of us love it (and/or occasionally hate it, but we keep coming back).

At the top of the message board, there is a pretty good search functionality . . . try putting the words "substitution" or "alternative" into that and you should get a ton of prior discussions about exercise alternatives (finding an alternative to rowing is a common problem).

Unfortunately, there's no real good alternative that will do for the O-lifts (nothing really compares) . . . but the dumbbell versions of them may come close. If your DBs can be loaded up to 55-65-75 lbs or more, you can do very good one-arm snatches, etc., and give yourself a heck of a workout . . .

Mike Yukish 05-24-2004 10:22 AM

Matt,

You can go pretty far on the O-lifts with a cheapo barbell set that mounts 110 LBs or so. Then go scrapping around for more plates. Most of the O lift WODs require about 95 LBs, with the "go heavy" days being the exception.

I used to always go to the gym when the WOD called for O lifts, but now keep finding myself staying at home and doing the workout in the garage with my barbell set I bought for $15 at a yard sale. Pounds is Pounds...

Parth Shah 06-01-2004 02:49 PM

$15 barbellset! Wow, how much weight? I need to start collecting stuff.