CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Biggest Pet Peeve (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=64408)

Departed1 01-19-2011 12:13 PM

Biggest Pet Peeve
 
I guess this is kind of a piggy back off of the "seen at globo gym" thread. What is your biggest pet peeve that people do when it comes to fitness (nutrition/workouts). Mine would be either - loading the bar w/ plates, then only going half way down on squats. Or, people who only do upper body lifts. So they're built like a triangle with a huge upper body and little bitty legs. I always wonder if they will topple over in a stiff breeze.

Joe Bernard 01-19-2011 01:33 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
People who use equipment and don't put it back where it belongs. The plates on a barbell is not a big deal, it's just a guessing game as to whether they are done using them or not, but when there are pairs of dumbbells lying around everywhere it gets annoying when you trip over them.

I've actually had to say this to someone before: You know your mom is not coming to pick up after you, put the weights away.

FYI it's a college gym, I don't get how some people can leave stuff on the ground :shrug:

Jason R O'Dell 01-19-2011 01:35 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Well this one is stupid but it really bugs me for some reason. The word "yum". I hate it when someone goes "I'm eating blank, yum" or "blank, yum". Drives me insane for some reason.

Jesse Gass 01-19-2011 01:41 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
1)Talking on you frickin cell phone like you've got a megaphone stuck in your face, while thinking the moron on the line can't actually hear you. Worst ever. Talk at home or outside.
2)Complaining to everyone around about how the gym you're a member of doesn't have what you want. Wishing the gym had more equipment is fine, but trying to build a crybaby gang is lame. Just quit.

Jason Wallis 01-19-2011 02:29 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Slow drivers in the left lane.
My wife leaving cabinet doors open.
Slow cashiers.
Incompetence.
Whiners.

Rebecca Roth 01-19-2011 03:00 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Wallis (Post 893397)
Incompetence.
Whiners.

I will second those. Similar to the slow checkers at the store I would say I hate when old people get into the self-checkout lane and take forever to scan and bag each item, and then can't figure out how to pay or can't read the screen.

As far as the gym goes, I would say biggest pet peeve is people who are wasting their potential because they choose to rest more than they work in the gym. Whether that be in terms of excessive rest during a wod or excessive rest days away from the gym, it always effects their performance/times and they whine about it, but don't do anything to change it.

In general pet peeve is people who are perpetually "dieting" but can't actually stick to a single plan or cheat all the time, and if they complain about the diet not working... HULK SMASH. People that are overweight, unhealthy, or immobile due to their inability to do anything they don't enjoy, or attempt to rationalize such behavior, get no love from me.

Jared Ashley 01-19-2011 04:00 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
People inexperienced in the art and science of fitness who give me unsolicited advice about what I could do better or what I'm doing wrong.

I'm ok with a very experiened person overhearing something and giving me their $.02. And I recognize that there are individuals who can coach at a much higher level than they can perform. But if you're fat, slow, and have been to the gym three times in as many years, don't tell me what lifts I should do, why running is bad for my knees, what I should eat, or anything else for that matter.

Andrew Bell 01-19-2011 04:52 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
People trying to talk to me while I'm working out. I'm there to work, not socialize. Of course this is a little different at the box, but at the globo I go to.

Morgan McGaha 01-19-2011 06:29 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
New pet peeve: the crossfit bros at the gym who are drama queens after every workout. They fling themselves on the floor, huff and puff, and make a big scene out of doing a few light snatches. ****es me off.

I also can't stand when people watch me play guitar and immediately ask, "You must be GREAT at guitar hero.":ranting2:

Jamie Gowens 01-19-2011 07:00 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bell (Post 893464)
People trying to talk to me while I'm working out. I'm there to work, not socialize. Of course this is a little different at the box, but at the globo I go to.

:thanx:

Eric Montgomery 01-19-2011 07:30 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bell (Post 893464)
People trying to talk to me while I'm working out. I'm there to work, not socialize. Of course this is a little different at the box, but at the globo I go to.

Or an offshoot of that, the creepy guy(s) ganging up to talk to an attractive girl at the gym.

"It's a weight room, not a date room."

Amanda Henry 01-19-2011 07:37 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha (Post 893497)
New pet peeve: the crossfit bros at the gym who are drama queens after every workout. They fling themselves on the floor, huff and puff, and make a big scene out of doing a few light snatches. ****es me off.

HATE THIS. Seriously. I know that there totally times when you need to lay down after a workout, but SERIOUSLY. Leave the drama with your Mama.

Reid Peryam 01-19-2011 08:02 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
1.) Having to explain Paleo
2.) Having to explain Crossfit
3.) Having to explain what writing code entails

at some point I just want to say "Stop -- trust me you wouldn't get it"

Another pet peeve of mine - germaphobes. Seriously these people act like they don't have a functioning immune system? Really annoys me.

For instance I recently met the friend of an acquaintance at breakfast. I extended my hand so that I might shake his; he withdrew it and shook his head at me "Sorry man I don't shake hands -- I only fist bump". Except he was serious.

Amanda Henry 01-19-2011 08:16 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
[quote=Reid Peryam;893536]1.) Having to explain Paleo
QUOTE]

I'm a lactose intolerant celiac who is allergic to almonds. Try explaining THAT to people.... "Not even WHOLE grains?" "Isn't that sort of a fake thing?" "ONLY almonds?" :rolleyes:

Danny Sidebottom 01-19-2011 08:38 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha (Post 893497)
New pet peeve: the crossfit bros at the gym who are drama queens after every workout. They fling themselves on the floor, huff and puff, and make a big scene out of doing a few light snatches. ****es me off.

"I do not lie on the back after metcon."

Adam Carlson 01-19-2011 11:09 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
'I don't want to lift weights because I'll get too big and bulky' -said by many a student at my school. If it was that easy, why would there be so many skinny people?

'Coach, do you have any programs to increase my vertical?'... 'oh, I don't really want to squat. Do you have any cool calf-raises that I can do?' -for some reason, jumping seems to be a function of the ankle, and not of the hip for some people...

Jared Ashley 01-19-2011 11:22 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha (Post 893497)
New pet peeve: the crossfit bros at the gym who are drama queens after every workout. They fling themselves on the floor, huff and puff, and make a big scene out of doing a few light snatches. ****es me off.

It's the CF equivalent of grunting really loud during your 35-lb preacher curls or whatever. Not impressed.

I'll admit I've more than once flung myself to the floor and held my head between my knees gasping for air and staving off nausea for 10 minutes. But since I work out in my living room where there's noone to impress, I don't feel bad.

Jared Ashley 01-19-2011 11:26 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
[quote=Amanda Henry;893541]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reid Peryam (Post 893536)
1.) Having to explain Paleo
QUOTE]

I'm a lactose intolerant celiac who is allergic to almonds. Try explaining THAT to people.... "Not even WHOLE grains?" "Isn't that sort of a fake thing?" "ONLY almonds?" :rolleyes:

heh... I feel your pain. My mom has Celiac, but had narrowed her intolerance down to wheat gluten (through trial and error) in the early 90's, long before even your average doctor had heard of Celiac. At least now she can put a name to it, lending it some legitimacy.

Vince Mannella 01-20-2011 12:26 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
-People at the gym that walk at a snails pace on the treadmill forever reading a book while I wait for one to be free so I can actually do a REAL run.
-The "bro's" that hang around the gym and tell loud stories while you try to workout yet, even though you are listening to angry crossfit music on your ipod, you can ALWAYS hear them.

Milton Brisson 01-20-2011 12:37 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Guy who is sitting at the bench press/squat rack texting between sets!

Jon Gregory 01-20-2011 01:59 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Mannella (Post 893621)
-People at the gym that walk at a snails pace on the treadmill forever reading a book while I wait for one to be free so I can actually do a REAL run.

I feel that pain!!

It peeves me that I can grow hair anywhere on my body with consummate ease but have a rapidly developing patch on me head that's given up!

Christy Labrie 01-20-2011 07:29 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
I dont have many.
However, my biggest peeve is the dumb lazy fools who dont put their cart in the little cart holder when they are done--just leave it out there in the parking lot. Grrr

Oooh, and the people who keep telling me how to get pregnant and want to discuss why I havent gotten KU yet (Got married in June- it is a hot topic now...).--that one was for the ladies :)

Christine Parry 01-20-2011 07:59 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christy Labrie (Post 893686)
I dont have many.
However, my biggest peeve is the dumb lazy fools who dont put their cart in the little cart holder when they are done--just leave it out there in the parking lot. Grrr

Oooh, and the people who keep telling me how to get pregnant and want to discuss why I havent gotten KU yet (Got married in June- it is a hot topic now...).--that one was for the ladies :)

Holy crap. I can't stand that. Half the supermarket parking lot is unusable spaces because someone just left their cart there. Even worse are the people who let their carts roll into my car. :ranting2:

Allen Tluczek 01-20-2011 08:01 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
People who talk on the phone at a checkout or cashiers line.
The person who occasionally takes the space I usually park in at my apartment.
Slurping the milk off a spoon when eating cereal.
The sound of aluminum cans opening.

Bryan Kemper 01-20-2011 09:29 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
One of my biggest peeves is winter snow covered parking lots. Do you really have to leave a four to six foot gap between cars? This reduces the totally parking capacity by sometimes 25 to 50%. I don't care about parking close, just the ability to get into a parking lot and find a space.

Richard Allen Pagel 01-20-2011 11:38 AM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton Brisson (Post 893623)
Guy who is sitting at the bench press/squat rack texting between sets!

why would that bother you?

Jason Wallis 01-20-2011 12:06 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christy Labrie (Post 893686)
I dont have many.
However, my biggest peeve is the dumb lazy fools who dont put their cart in the little cart holder when they are done--just leave it out there in the parking lot. Grrr

Oooh, and the people who keep telling me how to get pregnant and want to discuss why I havent gotten KU yet (Got married in June- it is a hot topic now...).--that one was for the ladies :)

My wife has had to deal with the KU thing for years. We have one daughter and will never be able to have more. People that don't know ask why we don't have more far too often, when they're missing a good opportunity to STFU.

Rene' Hardee 01-20-2011 12:14 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
When someone says to me, "I would go to your gym, but I need to get in shape first!" Blows my mind! It's like saying, "I would go to the doctor, but I need to heal first!" It makes absolutely no sense???!!!

Liz Stanley 01-20-2011 01:23 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
People who ask me a question and then interrupt me (or worse, start talking to someone else) when I'm in the middle of answering it. If you don't want to listen to my answer, then don't ask the question.

People who look at a photo I've taken and say "you must have a nice camera!" That's like complimenting someone on their cooking skills by saying "you must have nice pots and pans!"

In general, people who want to be hand held. I enjoy helping people, and there are many occasions where I ask for help myself. But put some effort behind your request for help, make an attempt to understand the problem and ask an intelligent question. Otherwise I'll be forced to send you to http://www.lmgtfy.com/ (WFS) .

-True story: One time someone asked me a stupid question, so I sent them to lmgtfy.com (WFS), and then they asked me how I made that. So I then I had to actually send them to http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgtfy.com (WFS) .

Michael Travis 01-20-2011 01:29 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz Stanley (Post 893885)
...People who look at a photo I've taken and say "you must have a nice camera!" That's like complimenting someone on their cooking skills by saying "you must have nice pots and pans!"...


A Nikon D7000 typically takes a much better looking picture than a kodak disposable. A good teflon nonstick pan typically does a better job of cooking an omelet than some other pans.

Liz Stanley 01-20-2011 01:43 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Travis (Post 893888)
A Nikon D7000 typically takes a much better looking picture than a kodak disposable. A good teflon nonstick pan typically does a better job of cooking an omelet than some other pans.

Sure ... in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. The camera doesn't take the picture, and the pan doesn't do the cooking. It's the skill of the person using the equipment that makes it work. Which is the whole point behind my pet peeve.

Amanda Henry 01-20-2011 02:42 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Travis (Post 893888)
A Nikon D7000 typically takes a much better looking picture than a kodak disposable. A good teflon nonstick pan typically does a better job of cooking an omelet than some other pans.

People who discredit other people's pet peeves :highfive:

Liz Stanley 01-20-2011 02:52 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda Henry (Post 893922)
People who discredit other people's pet peeves :highfive:

Not the case here ... he didn't discredit my pet peeve at all! How about, "unsuccessfully try to discredit someone else's pet peeve?" ;D

Amanda Henry 01-20-2011 03:07 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz Stanley (Post 893926)
Not the case here ... he didn't discredit my pet peeve at all! How about, "unsuccessfully try to discredit someone else's pet peeve?" ;D

:notworth:

Christy Labrie 01-20-2011 03:11 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz Stanley (Post 893885)
-True story: One time someone asked me a stupid question, so I sent them to lmgtfy.com (WFS), and then they asked me how I made that. So I then I had to actually send them to http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgtfy.com (WFS) .

I love this site. LOVE IT!

Milton Brisson 01-20-2011 03:24 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton Brisson (Post 893623)
Guy who is sitting at the bench press/squat rack texting between sets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel (Post 893825)
why would that bother you?

Well, if someone has a bar racked in the squat station and is hanging off the bar texting, instead of lifting - it takes him or her longer to complete the sets they are working on. That means I am waiting for the equipment longer. Which means I dont get my excercises done as fast as I would like. Which is a peeve of mine. Didnt think that one would require an explanation.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz Stanley (Post 893926)
..."unsuccessfully try to discredit someone else's pet peeve?" ;D

Liz - excellent multi-use post there!:highfive:

Wayne Riddle 01-20-2011 03:27 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Rader (Post 893318)
I guess this is kind of a piggy back off of the "seen at globo gym" thread. What is your biggest pet peeve that people do when it comes to fitness (nutrition/workouts). Mine would be either - loading the bar w/ plates, then only going half way down on squats. Or, people who only do upper body lifts.

How does them doing these things effect you? If you want to have pet peeves, fine, I like mine to be on those that actually effect me in some way.

Miguel Angel Cortes 01-20-2011 03:48 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha (Post 893497)
also can't stand when people watch me play guitar and immediately ask, "You must be GREAT at guitar hero.":ranting2:

Wait, wait, wait....so you are NOT great at guitar hero? :crybaby0: Completely kidding. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz Stanley (Post 893885)
In general, people who want to be hand held. I enjoy helping people, and there are many occasions where I ask for help myself. But put some effort behind your request for help, make an attempt to understand the problem and ask an intelligent question. Otherwise I'll be forced to send you to http://www.lmgtfy.com/ (WFS) .

-True story: One time someone asked me a stupid question, so I sent them to lmgtfy.com (WFS), and then they asked me how I made that. So I then I had to actually send them to http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgtfy.com (WFS) .

This cracked me up. Thanks for the link! I have never heard of this before. :thanx:

Jay Mulder 01-20-2011 04:21 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
People who constantly complain about something but never actively try to fix it. This applies to life in general but weight loss / getting in better shape is a particular complaint I hate.

Miguel Angel Cortes 01-20-2011 04:23 PM

Re: Biggest Pet Peeve
 
Serious now. ;) These are my pet peeves:

1) Pessimists, The Victims, The Excusers & The Quick Fixers - all these fall under the same group because they are usually lazy, always right, never want to do work and expect full results.

2) Big Group of Gossipy Gym Guys - A sausagefest of muscled chickens. They yack and yack and yack then lift a set and yack again just to repeat the routine!

3) Cell Phones, Magazines, Slurpies & Slobs - Just being inside the gym doesn't mean you will get results. On the other hand, if you can lift the weights from the rack I am sure you can lift them right back.

4) I'm Not Fit Enough - Someone already mentioned this but it is a huge pet peeve of mine for people to want change but are ashamed of doing the work. :confused: Then they dwell at home drinking beer, a burger, chicken wings and give me the dirty look because I had to pass by the gym before joining them.

5) Those Who Can't Take A Joke - I love to laugh and it bothers me when people are too stuck up to even smile.

NOW TIME TO DANCE! :pepper::pepper::pepper:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.