CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vegan Paleo (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=58398)

Darryl Shaw 05-25-2010 03:50 AM

Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Skowron (Post 788155)
How does that suggestion deal with the protein issue?

Almost everything you eat contains all eight essential amino acids in varying amounts so any diet, even a strict vegan diet, will provide all the protein you need if you eat a variety of foods over the course of the day and eat enough calories to meet energy needs.

David Knutzen 05-25-2010 03:55 AM

I feel that I need to mention that the vast, vast majority of the protein found in veggies and nuts is incompleted - meaning it is lacking 1 more of the amino acids that the body uses. This makes the issue of a lack of protein all the more complex, because now you need to be knowledgeable on the amino acid profile of the proteins you are consuming, and try to match up one food's amino deficiency with another food's amino surplus. Otherwise you'll still be hurting for protein.

Probably the least damaging option for a committed vegan who wants to CrossFit and be paleo is to use pea protein powder. Trueprotein.com sells a version that's not too expensive. Not really paleo, as peas are legumes, but its a better option than soy or gallons of quinoa every day.

Also, I don't know what tests ou've done to determine the cause of your IBS, but it is much more likely that the wheat, dairy, nuts, or soy is responsible instead of meat. Eliminating those might enable you to comfortably eat meat. Obviously you know your body much better than I do, but something to keep in mind as you begin your paleo journey.

David Murman 05-25-2010 04:11 AM

If the reason for being vegan is due to animal well fare you could raise your own chickens and/or keep a goat?

But supplement with rice protein and make your own tempeh, not paleo but healthy.

Heres an article on it. WFS

http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/vegan_diet.html

Kevin Burns 05-25-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw (Post 788373)
Archeological evidence shows that grains have been part of the human diet for over 100,000 years.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ets121409.php (wfs)

Seriously ? You can't compare the gathering of wild plants to the processed grain disaster we have today. Grains are so nutrient deficient people never would have spent the time necessary to process and eat them. Further more people back then did not have the technology to create the processed foods we have today.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/stone-age-grains/ - WFS

Kevin Burns 05-25-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knutzen (Post 788376)
I feel that I need to mention that the vast, vast majority of the protein found in veggies and nuts is incomplete -

Somewhere on Robb Wolf's site he talks about the glucagon response to non-animal sources of protein such as nuts and seeds. Glucagon balances the insulin response and non-animal sources of protein have a very very low impact on glucagon production meaning that unless your sources of protien are animal based your insulin is going to go up regardless of the amount of nuts/seeds you are eating.

Katherine Derbyshire 05-25-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Burns (Post 788507)
Seriously ? You can't compare the gathering of wild plants to the processed grain disaster we have today. Grains are so nutrient deficient people never would have spent the time necessary to process and eat them. Further more people back then did not have the technology to create the processed foods we have today.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/stone-age-grains/ - WFS

And the whole point of the Paleo diet is that processed foods are a disaster, right? You can eat grains without succumbing to the evils of modern processed foods. Steamed brown rice is not the same as Rice Krispies.

Katherine

Shane Skowron 05-25-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 788531)
And the whole point of the Paleo diet is that processed foods are a disaster, right?

Not entirely. Ratios are important too, even though there isn't an explicit set of numbers that's thrown about.

The point is that you eat the diet that humans were supposedly evolved to eat. This means eating the foods that paleo man ate in the approximate ratios that they ate (which, of course, was different for various tribes). But there are certain unifying trends, such as the fact that grains and legumes were eaten in very minimal quantities. On the other hand, leafy vegetables and high-protein animal connective tissue were eaten in large quantities.

One thing that bugs me about the proponents of the paleo diet is that they claim you can eat anything as long as it's paleo. For most people that'll be a huge improvement, but there are certain things that need to be kept in check. For example, having olive oil as 50% of your caloric intake can't be good, no matter how paleo it is.

Robert Newman 05-25-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 788115)

To the OP, I would just say that diet is critical to performance. Inadequate diet can and will undermine everything you're working for in the gym. Which is not to say that you're on the wrong path, just that you've chosen a very difficult route, and will need to pay very close attention to make sure you aren't digging yourself a nutritional hole.

Katherine

I would really like to disagree with the "Diet is critical to performance" part of that. We see that all over the boards. Does anyone remember Josh Everett's diet video last year? It was terrible (no offense to the guy, he seems really cool in Every Second Counts and an awesome CFer!), or Michael Phelps, or one of the regional winners on the videos who eats Burger King regularly? There are tons of pro athletes that eat garbage but perform an an elite level.

Diet should be linked to health. Are you sleeping well at night? Do you need coffee every morning? Does your skin regularly break out? Are your bowl movements regular and consistent? etc.. These are all questions that should be asked concerning diet. Not who has the biggest dead lift or fastest fran. They will come with calories. Let us not forget how effective Starting Strength is, and how terribly unhealthy the diet is for you.

I started eating a raw diet and I'm fine. I'm not losing muscle mass, recovery has been better than on paleo, workouts feel stronger, sleep is better, skin is better, and more energy through out the day. Am I dead lifting 500 lb? No, but I wasn't dead lifting 500 lb 3 months ago either.

Give the girl a break. Everyone is very set in their ways here, but I haven't seen one study that actually fed people an all raw diet with a good amount of calories. People are piecing together different studies and making assumptions.

Kevin Burns 05-25-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 788531)
Steamed brown rice is not the same as Rice Krispies.

Brown Rice is one of the few things I will always eat when I get Chinese Food. Then again why not while I'm eating General Tso's Chicken soaked in whatever that non-paleo delicious red sauce is.

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-25-2010 10:28 AM

You say "Diet is critical to performance" is incorrect then list examples of Phelps who eats like that to drive performance and sustain energy levels and Starting Strength diet which encourages high consumption to drive adaptation and muscle growth. In both case, performance is highly coupled to diet.