CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Supplement advise, please (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89099)

Dustin Standel 02-16-2016 02:13 PM

Supplement advise, please
 
What is the best post workout nutrition regiment for recovery and strength?

I was using Progenex Recovery mixed in almond milk. Recently I switched to Xendurance Protein and Fuel mixed together in water for post workout. I use ******** Catalyst (an amino acids dietary supplement) 30 minutes before breakfast, 30 minutes before a workout, and right before bed. I mix an ******** Biocharge (BCAA, antioxidant, and polyphenol supplement) with my water when I WOD or lift heavy.

Also, I often workout twice a day. On those days, the first workout is usually a strength based workout and some Endurance type intervals while the second is more metcon focused. Should I use supplements for both workouts or just the more intense one?

Luke Sirakos 02-17-2016 06:11 AM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
It sounds like you are wasting a lot of money on supplements to be honest. Get a big jug of creapure creatine and take 5g per day, find a decent protein powder (ON is fine, that stuff you are taking is likely overpriced) for a post workout shake, and finally make sure your diet is in line. Fish oil and a generic multivitamin can be a good idea too.

John Drohan 02-17-2016 06:14 AM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
I think Luke nailed it as far as a recommendation goes.

I won't go off into a tirade about supplements and how they are marketed to us, but suffice to say over the course of 25 years of lifting/exercising, I've tried all sorts of them.

Protein powder (for convenience) and creatine are perhaps the only 2 that matter. Everything else is very likely a waste of money as long as your diet of real food is on point.

Patrick A Horsman 02-17-2016 07:15 AM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Drohan (Post 1260650)
I think Luke nailed it as far as a recommendation goes.

I won't go off into a tirade about supplements and how they are marketed to us, but suffice to say over the course of 25 years of lifting/exercising, I've tried all sorts of them.

Protein powder (for convenience) and creatine are perhaps the only 2 that matter. Everything else is very likely a waste of money as long as your diet of real food is on point.

I specifiy these for most everyday clients:
-Protein Powder
-Fish Oil
-Viatmin D (super cheap and very good for us)

And these for competitive athletes
-Creatine if strength or muscle mass is an issue
-Additional BCAA's if you do multiple very intense workotus


Thats it / Thats all

Luke Sirakos 02-17-2016 07:44 AM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
If you are eating enough protein I can't see the need for extra BCAA's. Maybe if you workout fasted but I don't see much benefit to working out faster either. It has to be the most overrated and useless supplement assuming you are eating enough protein, which you should be doing if you are lifting weights.

I will agree that vitamin D is certainly worth taking as well and the reason I suggest creatine is it is one of the very few proven supplements and it is absolutely dirt cheap.

Ben Kissam 02-19-2016 10:34 AM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
Spent years (and plenty of dollars to boot) playing around until I finally discovered that post-workout should just stay simple.

Start with a good whey protein, mix with water. Consume some type of sugar along with it. If you like, mix a simple sugar into your shaker.

Eat a good meal of starch and protein 60-120 minutes thereafter.

Chris Mason 02-19-2016 07:58 PM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
I own a supplement company and obviously recommend my products, but in general terms:

If you are under 50 years of age:

Pre-workout (about 40 min. prior to training):
Caffeine - 200mg
BCAA - one serving (assuming each serving is properly dosed)


Post-workout:
Protein (blend of whey and casein is superior to just whey) mixed in water - 20g
Quick absorbing carbohydrate - 30-40g

Daily:
Creatine monohydrate - 5g
Beta-Alanine - 3-6g


Do the above and you are maxing out your supplement game (of a non-hormonal nature)

If you want reasons for each let me know.

Daniel Kunz 02-27-2016 08:05 PM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
Chris Mason, what is your recommendation for the over 50 year old crowd? Thanks.

Chris Mason 03-03-2016 03:39 PM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Kunz (Post 1260935)
Chris Mason, what is your recommendation for the over 50 year old crowd? Thanks.

The only difference is double the protein to 40g post-workout. Studies have shown that a larger dose is better absorbed and utilized by older individuals.

Chris Mason

David Meverden 03-04-2016 03:17 PM

Re: Supplement advise, please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1260726)
I own a supplement company and obviously recommend my products, but in general terms:

If you are under 50 years of age:

Pre-workout (about 40 min. prior to training):
Caffeine - 200mg
BCAA - one serving (assuming each serving is properly dosed)


Post-workout:
Protein (blend of whey and casein is superior to just whey) mixed in water - 20g
Quick absorbing carbohydrate - 30-40g

Daily:
Creatine monohydrate - 5g
Beta-Alanine - 3-6g


Do the above and you are maxing out your supplement game (of a non-hormonal nature)

If you want reasons for each let me know.

Great, concise, advice, Chris. Do you adjust those recommendations for women? I'm working with a 150 lb female CrossFitter and presumably she would need less protein than me (a 225# male), though I'm not sure if there is some other consideration, like the under/over 50 you were talking about.

And do you still use the same creatine and beta-alanine recommendations for women?

Thanks, Chris!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.