CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bench Press Technique (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63732)

Tyson Wright 12-20-2010 01:22 PM

Bench Press Technique

I'm not looking to debate whether or not bench press should be in Crossfit...yada yada yada (I yada'd the best part). I'm looking for information on bench press technique. I see some older journal posts but was curious what the board thought. Thanks.

Katherine Derbyshire 12-20-2010 01:27 PM

Re: Bench Press Technique

That's kind of a vague question... Are you looking for a critique of your current technique (post video!) or what?

Katherine

Tyson Wright 12-20-2010 01:32 PM

Just looking for recommended links or videos on proper technique. There's obviously a lot out there so was hoping for some favorites.

Eric Montgomery 12-20-2010 01:47 PM

Starting Strength has a whole chapter on it. I'm sure you could find some CFJ videos with Rip, Dave Tate, or Louie Simmons if you do some looking.

Sean Dunston 12-20-2010 01:49 PM

I'll try to find you some videos, but since it is a power lift, and if you are truly interested in incorporating it in your repertoire, you should look to the various PL Federations for what is REQUIRED for a good lift.

Most require that: 1) your feet must be in contact with ground (or a booster, if needed), 2) head, shoulders and buttocks must be in contact with the bench, 3) there must be a pause at the bottom -- no "bouncing" the bar off your chest -- before the press.

Here is a link (wfs) to the USAPL "Lifter's Handbook" - which is a condensed version of their rule book. You can scroll to the to bench press portion of it on page 8.

http://usapowerlifting.com/liftersco...LHandbook2.pdf

Tyson Wright 12-20-2010 01:49 PM

Thanks...I don't have my Rip book on me. First thing I was going to reference when I got home.

Eric Montgomery 12-20-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Wright (Post 881691)
Thanks...I don't have my Rip book on me. First thing I was going to reference when I got home.

Well, if you're looking for the gist of it...butt stays in contact with bench, arched lower back and good lumbar extension, big chest with shoulder blades pulled back and together, look at a fixed point on the ceiling and not at the bar, bar path is slightly toward your waist and not perfectly vertical so the bar should touch somewhere near the bottom of your sternum, elbows stay ~45 degree angle to your body, grip at a width where your forearms are vertical when the bar is on your chest, and keep your wrists in line with your forearms rather than letting them bend back.

Michael Loucas 12-20-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 881695)
Well, if you're looking for the gist of it...butt stays in contact with bench, arched lower back and good lumbar extension, big chest with shoulder blades pulled back and together, look at a fixed point on the ceiling and not at the bar, bar path is slightly toward your waist and not perfectly vertical so the bar should touch somewhere near the bottom of your sternum, elbows stay ~45 degree angle to your body, grip at a width where your forearms are vertical when the bar is on your chest, and keep your wrists in line with your forearms rather than letting them bend back.

Also I'd like to add squeeze the hell out of the bar.

Matt Corley 12-20-2010 03:08 PM

Google "Dave Tate and Bench Press"

Todd Rehm 12-20-2010 08:25 PM

Dave Tate has some great stuff on the bench press at elitefts.com (may not be wfs due to cursing in videos, occasional scantily-clad women).