CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas??? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=28469)

Rohan Sookdeo 03-04-2008 01:01 PM

Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas???

Hello,
I am new to the crossfit forums. Though I have been Following the crossfit methodology for a few months now.
A Little Background, I am a 25 year old Male. Last January I weighed 280 lbs and was at a size 40 waist. Could not do a pullup for the life of me and was barely deadliftling 150 lbs. After months of research and trial and error with diet and training styles (ussualy from Mens health and the such). I stumbled upon crossfit. I am now 210 lbs and my waist is now a 34, Can do a max of 12 pullups and deadlifting 230lbs ( not max, I do can do 10 reps @ 230 without a problem .I am using a standard bar and it does not feel like it can take much more. Oly bar is my next purchase.)
I ussually workout in my basement with the basics. Med balls, a Pullup bar, heavy bag, kb's etc.I follow the prescribed, meats and vegetable, nuts, seeds, little fruits and no starches. Not exactly zone but along those lines. I ussualy make my meals at home so I control what I eat. This has produced great results not only in weightloss and strength but in the way I feel as well. I plan on sticking to it

Here is My dillema. My job has me living away from home in a hotel for the next three months.

So far I discovered the hotel has a small "fitness room" with a few treadmills and some weird looking multi workout contraption which looks like its out of a star wars movie. The useful things I found are a couple med balls and dumb bells up to 55 lbs and a weird looking but ussuable bench. There is also small pool. Being that I work out in my basement I know I can do alot of bodyweight excersises and substitutitutions. ex The chairs in my room are strong enough for dips and box jumps, the stairs in the hotel very isolated and I think I am the only one who ignores the fact that theres an elevator. so i can use those for short sprints and possible box jumps as well.

What can I substitute for pullups and lets say deadlifts, squats etc? I think those are important to continue my progress. Though i may be home some weekends not enough to get by for three months. I am staying in Buffalo ,NY so outdoor activities are probably out of the question at least for another few weeks.

As far as food goes There is a microwave, stove tops and a fridge. The pots are cheap and those tiny electric stove tops ussualy takes forever to cook. So I can get by sometimes but time being an issue I may be eating out more than I would like. There are your ussual chain resturaunts around and fast food resturaunts are non existent to me. Any suggestions about eating out but not falling of the wagon?

Thanks,

Rohan

Nicolas Kizzee 03-04-2008 01:07 PM

Re: Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas

First of all welcome to the forums :) I had a similar quesiton last year. Heres the link to it... http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24376 (W/F Safe). Basically it is some good workouts that you can do with limited space (in my case dorm room). Hope this helps and good luck.

Rohan Sookdeo 03-04-2008 01:37 PM

Re: Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas

Nicolas
Thanks, Lots of good info in the thread. And I have not attempted hand stands yet so im sure that alone will keep my busy. I am going to look throught the other suggested links tonight. How did you get around the "wonderful" food options while on campus. When I was living on campus there where was bad and worst as options. ohh yeah and the golden arches. Thats how i got to 280 lbs. Food options while out here is really my main concern. Right now its not looking great.

Rohan

Aaron Trent 03-04-2008 01:43 PM

Rohan:
Congrats on the progress!

Will you be staying in the same hotel for these 3 months? If you are, you may want to look for a gym (affiliate or Globo) that will allow you a 3 month membership. Explain your circumstances and see if they will allow you to do this.

Elliot Fuller 03-04-2008 02:42 PM

Take some rings with you, find a place to hang them, and check out the Simplefit bodyweight workouts at www.simplefit.org (w/f/s).

Eva T had some bodyweight workouts too, but I forget where they are -- a search can probably find them.

John Seiler 03-04-2008 03:36 PM

I'm sure you'll get plenty of info on the exercise so I'll address diet. Are you familiar with Intermittent Fasting? Now might be a great time to get familiar. Do a Google search and check out the forum section of Catalyst Athletics devoted to IF.

Essentially you would compress your eating into a shortened window of say, 6 hours. The great part about that for road warriors is that you don't have to worry about breakfast. (For example, I do my fast from 9pm at night until 3pm the next afternoon. I thought it was going to be a nightmare not eating until 3pm but it's not bad at all. What little hunger pangs I get are more than offset by the convenience of not dealing with breakfast.) Many people report better concentration through the day as well.

Chris Robinson 03-04-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohan Sookdeo
I ussually workout in my basement with the basics. Med balls, a Pullup bar, heavy bag, kb's etc...What can I substitute for pullups and lets say deadlifts, squats etc? I think those are important to continue my progress.

Take the KBs with you. Many people find that after doing KB work for several weeks their deadlift improves. As far as squats/leg strength, you've got:
- front squats (single and double KB)
- overhead squats (single and double KB),
- lunges (forward, reverse, diagonal, lateral; all can be done with either one or two KBs in the racked or overhead position),
- Sumo-Deadlift High Pulls,
- pistols (unweighted and well as weighted with one or two KBs in the racked, overhead position, or held out in front of you).

Beyond KBs I'd say a med ball (which you already have) and a sandbag (which you can make for cheap). I also second the rings suggestion.

Sarena Kopciel 03-04-2008 04:09 PM

Rohan, check your Private messages!
Also check here for info on IF. Its awesome...

wfs

John Biddle 03-04-2008 05:09 PM

There was a thread just in the last couple of days which had a long list of Eva T bodyweight workouts:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21576

If there's nothing to do pullups on where you're going, can you get one of those portable doorframe pullup bars? The type that hooks onto the moulding at the top of the frame, and is then also supported on the sides of the frame. Here's a link to the type of thing I mean:

http://www.pullupbar.com/

I haven't used this specific type, but have used something similar and found it adequate to use while travelling (my BW is about 200 incidentally, so you should be fine).

Good luck!

Steven Rogers 03-04-2008 08:08 PM

With 55# dumbbells, swings, snatches, cleans & jerks, one leg deadlifts, Turkish get-ups, farmers walks, and waiters walks are good options.