CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Safe Heart Rate (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=2745)

Adam Burella 04-15-2005 06:57 AM

Just wondering if there is a certain heart rate that is dangerous? When I'm doing some WODs my heart rate is between 180-195. What does your heart rate hit at the peak of an intense WOD?

Cheers,
Adam

Frank C Ollis 04-15-2005 07:02 AM

Adam,
I looked at your profile, and I don't see your age. Safe max heart rate is determined by age.

I never really monitor my heart rate, If you bump the intensity high enough, you will puke long before you have a heart attack.

Larry Lindenman 04-15-2005 09:00 AM

As long as it's beating that's good. Max heart rate is a guess, at best. I could rock my heart rate much higher then the any formula out there for a 42 year old guy. As long as you don't have any congenital defects, go for it. By the way, doing the WOD I know I don't have any congenital defects or plaque build-up, if I did I would be 6' under now. Sort of the next step in natural selection...the weak die.

Daniel Wilson 04-15-2005 09:12 AM

Thats too highI believe. Maximum for a human unless under unusual circumstances is 205.

The formula I know for working out what our heat rate should be is.

205 - A = M

Where A is your age and M is maximum hear beat. Then yuo multiply by 0.8 and 0.6 to get your target zone parameters. Unless you wish to work at about 80%. But that should really be not very often.

Tanner Kolb 04-15-2005 09:36 AM

adam, any HR formula based on age(all of them) can be off anywhere from 15-30 beats. so if you are concerned use the RPE chart or something, or just go off of what you feel. my age predicted max is 196 (220-age) and i had mine up to 209 doing thrusters the other day.

for me the WOD or any other WO is to do as much, as fast and as often as i can. i could care less about zones or where my HR is, cause i know i am doing good things for it.

James R. Climer 04-15-2005 09:40 AM

220-45 (me)= 185, this means I am not allowed tro sprint anymore, or most Crossfit WOD's, because I exceed 190 routinely. And my Resting HR is currently 50.

Frank C Ollis 04-15-2005 10:24 AM

James,
A resting heart rate of 50 at 45 years young is pretty respectable. Good on ya!

Brian Hand 04-15-2005 10:43 AM

The decline of the max heart rate with age is not a sure thing, especially for people that work out hard. I know several runners in their 40's who have had no drop off so far.

The formula is a half assed guesstimate of MaxHR, the real test is usually done on a track or a treadmill - you go all out and measure.

Donald Woodson 04-15-2005 11:37 AM

I was just wondering if Crossfit improves the actual acceleration abilities of a heart. Any studies ever done on heartbeat acceleration rates? Timing an athlete's heart going from a resting rate of fifty to full blast 180 or so? And can that rate be shortened with training?
Seems to me, that would be important for some professions such as police officer.

Frank C Ollis 04-15-2005 12:50 PM

Donald,
I agree. It is equally important for the military folks.