CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sharknado (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83073)

Bill M. Hesse 07-12-2013 09:33 AM

Sharknado

Because that just happened!

Bill M. Hesse 07-12-2013 09:36 AM

Re: Sharknado

We'll need a head count to confirm. Hopefully no one turned into shark chum.

Jeff Enge 07-12-2013 09:57 AM

Fantastic. I like it.

Andrew N. Casey 07-12-2013 10:23 AM

checking in, thread head Casey present and accounted for...

now, outside to workout...

John Holcombe 07-12-2013 10:30 AM

checking in on first page of Sharknado

anyone done the Smolov Jr program for squats?

Andrew Bell 07-12-2013 10:50 AM

Yall are too much sometimes even for me. lol

Saw the trailer, couldn't even make it all the way through. I am not one for wasting my time with crud sometimes, and am pretty hard headed about that kind of stuff. eh.

Nik Nichols 07-12-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bell (Post 1178401)
Yall are too much sometimes even for me. lol

Saw the trailer, couldn't even make it all the way through. I am not one for wasting my time with crud sometimes, and am pretty hard headed about that kind of stuff. eh.

Not so hard headed to join the new and shark aproved thread me thinks?!?!

and to set in the first workout numbers
daily squat 5th day in a row of 335lbs(151.9k) squat for a single.

Vickie Ellickson 07-12-2013 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:shrug:

Nik Nichols 07-12-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson (Post 1178422)
:shrug:

NICE!!!

Nik Nichols 07-12-2013 01:22 PM

Gotta love front squat, bumped it by 5 lbs today and did more reps.

Jeff Enge 07-12-2013 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Braaaains...

Blair Robert Lowe 07-12-2013 07:25 PM

Well, John for the past 2 weeks I tried Smolov Jr. Only got through 6x6 last week and the 6x6 this week and to the 3rd set of 7x5 on Wednesday. Had to call it this week.

Too much for me. Maybe if I calculated my numbers @90% instead of 100% and slept better but my sleep was pretty good this week.

Kinda bummed me out but good luck.

I think it was just too much volume initially from what I was working before.

Pearse Shields 07-13-2013 01:13 AM

This is my workout from today, cleans up to a single at 95kg (not quite 1rm) and 4 x 8 x 70kg front squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BrUJnC3PF4 (WFS)

Andrew N. Casey 07-13-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1178396)
checking in on first page of Sharknado

anyone done the Smolov Jr program for squats?

the only thing with this is that you have to be willing to do this and only this if you want it to work. not smolov plus pressing, or metcons, etc. just smolov, eat, sleep. it will get your squat up. the question is if you can keep the gains once you go back to a "normal" program.

Andrew N. Casey 07-13-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearse Shields (Post 1178520)
This is my workout from today, cleans up to a single at 95kg (not quite 1rm) and 4 x 8 x 70kg front squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BrUJnC3PF4 (WFS)

nice work.

Andrew N. Casey 07-13-2013 03:23 PM

whew, long day. time to go workout, except it is 102 freakin' degrees outside which doesn't make me want to do anything. ugh. hopefully i can at least find a little motivation to do a few quick lifts and a short walk or run.

Pearse Shields 07-13-2013 10:00 PM

I much prefer the heat to the cold. Definitely looking forward to going to Thailand for a training holiday at some point.

Sara Ochsner 07-14-2013 03:31 PM

Tried Almond Joy coffee creamer as per a Thread recommendation. It was fantastic and now my go too treat.

Jeff Enge 07-15-2013 05:43 AM

Looky who decided to drop in again!

Andrew N. Casey 07-15-2013 05:45 AM

well the good news is that it cooled off... the bad news is that it is pouring rain...

in other news i should be heading home for a while today or tomorrow...

John Holcombe 07-15-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe (Post 1178484)
Well, John for the past 2 weeks I tried Smolov Jr. Only got through 6x6 last week and the 6x6 this week and to the 3rd set of 7x5 on Wednesday. Had to call it this week.

Too much for me. Maybe if I calculated my numbers @90% instead of 100% and slept better but my sleep was pretty good this week.

Kinda bummed me out but good luck.

I think it was just too much volume initially from what I was working before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1178542)
the only thing with this is that you have to be willing to do this and only this if you want it to work. not smolov plus pressing, or metcons, etc. just smolov, eat, sleep. it will get your squat up. the question is if you can keep the gains once you go back to a "normal" program.

It's probably not going to be for me then. That is why I asked you guys. Thanks!

I survived the tough mudder this weekend and I have to admit it was a lot harder than I expected.

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 07:15 AM

Popping in for a heads up. Long week moving to a new place and 4th death in the family in 10 months. This time my cousin, my age minus 3 months, died on his older brother's first wedding anniversary. What a way to celebrate....

John Holcombe 07-15-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1178798)
Popping in for a heads up. Long week moving to a new place and 4th death in the family in 10 months. This time my cousin, my age minus 3 months, died on his older brother's first wedding anniversary. What a way to celebrate....

Sorry to hear man. It's the worst when you hear about somebody young passing away. Was it an accident of some kind?

Jeff Enge 07-15-2013 07:35 AM

Good for the new place, but that's rough Bill. Hang in there. Praying for ya.

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1178800)
Sorry to hear man. It's the worst when you hear about somebody young passing away. Was it an accident of some kind?

Drug overdose. Had a nasty break up with his girlfriend and spiraled down over the last week. It is unknown if intentional at this time, but he got fired from his job and spent the last two weeks drunk as a skunk. He struggled with addiction for the last 10 years. That fight is over now.

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 08:28 AM

Behind the neck wide grip press

65x10
95x3
105x3
110x3
65x10

Deadlift
225x5
275x2
295x2
315x2
335x2
225x8

Nik Nichols 07-15-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1178811)
Drug overdose. Had a nasty break up with his girlfriend and spiraled down over the last week. It is unknown if intentional at this time, but he got fired from his job and spent the last two weeks drunk as a skunk. He struggled with addiction for the last 10 years. That fight is over now.

Sorry my man, really hurts to hear.

I like your deads, mine have been lacking, I am doing 5/3/1 but once a week is no good for me, I feel I do better with at leasy twice a week to get good gains and to stay comfortable. (looking at Andrew for advice?)

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1178824)
Sorry my man, really hurts to hear.

I like your deads, mine have been lacking, I am doing 5/3/1 but once a week is no good for me, I feel I do better with at leasy twice a week to get good gains and to stay comfortable. (looking at Andrew for advice?)

I have had quite a bit of set back from going sumo to conventional, but I think the conventional is a better strength builder on paper. I am going to test it out. No matter what, I will pull more sumo than conv. but I am going to be working into Olympic lifting in the future and will be trying to arrange my business to that end. I am about 80lbs under my sumo for a double.

Additionally, I think you can deadlift more than once a week if you take a Bulgarian max as your guide to performance. I am no longer interested in grinding reps out. The Russian literature in me has brainwashed me and I refuse to push it to those levels anymore. Easy Strength and watching enough Klokov have me believing going as heavy as you can and still having solid speed are the way to go.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1178828)
I have had quite a bit of set back from going sumo to conventional, but I think the conventional is a better strength builder on paper. I am going to test it out. No matter what, I will pull more sumo than conv. but I am going to be working into Olympic lifting in the future and will be trying to arrange my business to that end. I am about 80lbs under my sumo for a double.

Additionally, I think you can deadlift more than once a week if you take a Bulgarian max as your guide to performance. I am no longer interested in grinding reps out. The Russian literature in me has brainwashed me and I refuse to push it to those levels anymore. Easy Strength and watching enough Klokov have me believing going as heavy as you can and still having solid speed are the way to go.

I will have to look up the Bulgarian max because I don't know anything about it.

I like the max efforts or reps of the 5/3/1 because I feel you gain strength hitting that level of effort at ''heavy'' weights. But I also and seeing that one set seems short for me. I mean hitting say 325lbs squat for a single ME and hit say 3 reps is some real work for me.

But once it is over I wonder if doing sets there would build more. Or maybe I am not pushing for enough reps but at the time it sure feels like it. I am giving it all I have right then at there, but always wonder if I could have hit another set after I recovered.

Still though once a week on deads just is not enough for me to do well on my 5/3/1 days. I am thinking of a lighter but heavy session then my 5/3/1 on Monday or tues day and hit it hard on thursday which is my dead lift day.

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1178832)
I will have to look up the Bulgarian max because I don't know anything about it.

I like the max efforts or reps of the 5/3/1 because I feel you gain strength hitting that level of effort at ''heavy'' weights. But I also and seeing that one set seems short for me. I mean hitting say 325lbs squat for a single ME and hit say 3 reps is some real work for me.

But once it is over I wonder if doing sets there would build more. Or maybe I am not pushing for enough reps but at the time it sure feels like it. I am giving it all I have right then at there, but always wonder if I could have hit another set after I recovered.

Still though once a week on deads just is not enough for me to do well on my 5/3/1 days. I am thinking of a lighter but heavy session then my 5/3/1 on Monday or tues day and hit it hard on thursday which is my dead lift day.

It isn't really Bulgarian specific, but it means to hit the heaviest weight you can do without getting slow. Strong lifts only, no grinders. If you are grinding, you need to dial it back.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1178857)
It isn't really Bulgarian specific, but it means to hit the heaviest weight you can do without getting slow. Strong lifts only, no grinders. If you are grinding, you need to dial it back.

Ok, I work on it. Thanks.

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 11:26 AM

awwww, baby klokov! How cute! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1jvOQXoeo WFS

Andrew N. Casey 07-15-2013 11:55 AM

bill, sorry for you family situation. exactly a year ago went through almost the same exact thing with my step brother.

Andrew N. Casey 07-15-2013 11:58 AM

as for deads, what is weak? the hamstrings? the back?

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 12:24 PM

I wrote a few articles about combat techniques / battle system planning for the individual:

http://comradeboris.blogspot.com/201...werstroke.html

http://comradeboris.blogspot.com/201...or-skills.html

All links WFS

Nik Nichols 07-15-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1178876)
as for deads, what is weak? the hamstrings? the back?

Hams weaker over back. Like I said, I do 5/3/1 once a week and it is so uncomfortable when it is time to get ''heavy''.

Bill M. Hesse 07-15-2013 12:37 PM

Might want to consider some high rep RDLs.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1178885)
Might want to consider some high rep RDLs.

I have added in weighted good mornings 3 sets of 5. I think about the RDL, but have never really done it.

Andrew N. Casey 07-15-2013 02:17 PM

single leg RDL's. the weight will be light enough it will have almost no effect on your back or grip but they will kill your hamstrings and glutes. however, it is light enough load on your CNS and back and grip that you can add them in on top of everything else without worry. single leg glute bridge are also awesome.

add in some super heavy shrugs once a week and use alot of momentum.

if you have access to a cable machine then pull throughs will help alot. if you have access to a leg curl machine then those are also really great. leg curls are the one thing that i think most CF could really benefit from doing. sort of like bicep curls they get a bad wrap for no reason. obviously GHD are great, but too many people don't have access or aren't strong enough and do them wrong.

edit - i really like doing single leg RDL from an elevated box or standing on something. if you don't have much to stand on then using smaller plates (like 2 25's on a side instead of one 45, assuming steel plates not bumpers) can work good. using dumbbells and standing on something, even a bench or the end of a treadmill, can work great. but the point is the deeper you can get that stretch the better. using a trap bar can work great for this for balance if on a box. once you get really good with the stretch or if going from the floor, elevate the toe to really help strentch the hamstrings.

Andrew Bell 07-15-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1178828)
The Russian literature in me has brainwashed me and I refuse to push it to those levels anymore. Easy Strength and watching enough Klokov have me believing going as heavy as you can and still having solid speed are the way to go.

I use to pull 2-3 sets of 1 twice a week of around 92%. If you add variation in, such as snatch grip, deficet, sumo, etc, I absolutly believe it's ok. Personally I think it's less stress than working up to a high % squat every workout. My recomendation is to stay north of 88-90%, but south of 95% of your 1RM.