CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sharknado (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83073)

Nik Nichols 07-24-2013 07:16 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1180776)
N/m after ''more analysis'', I think she just put some body fat on.

HAHAHAHAHA:rofl:

Nik Nichols 07-24-2013 07:18 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1180768)
So, I went to open gym at my CF affiliate yesterday, and several people were asking me to watch/critique their snatch (like I'm some kind of expert from being on a weightlifting team for three weeks :rofl:)... I can diagnose and cue for a lot of the lift, but one problem nearly everybody there had was their hips going straight up first thing on the first pull (there was one coach we had that taught the lifts in a way that lent itself to that error), and I couldn't figure out a cue for that, though I tried a bunch of different things.

Any ideas?

Other then the fact the back and hips should rise at the same time. The dead lift cue of ''feet through the floor'' once you get the beginning set up tight.

The reason that happens is everyone is automatically going to the dead lift form because it is what everyone knows and the mind goes there because it is ingrained.

Bill M. Hesse 07-24-2013 07:23 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1180780)
HAHAHAHAHA:rofl:

At least someone indulged me.

John Holcombe 07-24-2013 07:30 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1180783)
At least someone indulged me.

I was going to give you a little rolling around laughing smiley guy too but Nik beat me to it

Jeff Enge 07-24-2013 07:31 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1180781)
Other then the fact the back and hips should rise at the same time. The dead lift cue of ''feet through the floor'' once you get the beginning set up tight.

The reason that happens is everyone is automatically going to the dead lift form because it is what everyone knows and the mind goes there because it is ingrained.

That's pretty much what I tried. Part of the problem is going to deadlift form like you say, but the other problem is that they have been taught that the "correct" second pull is to bring the bar into the hips and bounce off of them, as opposed to meeting the bar with the hips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1180783)
At least someone indulged me.

Nothing wrong with a little more padding, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. :rofl:

Jeff Enge 07-24-2013 07:33 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1180774)
I was thinking if your knees don't go past your toes isn't that a good thing?

That's pretty much my point. But that's nearly impossible to do while keeping the torso vertical for most people.



Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1180774)


I might have to upload a snatch video for your expert analysis now ;)

but seriously I might do that.

Oh geez. There's definitely better technicians on here than me so hopefully you get good advice :D

Bill M. Hesse 07-24-2013 07:36 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1180790)
That's pretty much my point. But that's nearly impossible to do while keeping the torso vertical for most people.





Oh geez. There's definitely better technicians on here than me so hopefully you get good advice :D

For front squats and the clean, vertical shins are not helping in the least. Your body positions to center the weight. If you were powerlifting then you might consider it a benefit. Really depends on what you are trying to accomplish, being strong in the hole for a clean or snatch, or moving big weight on your back only.

John Holcombe 07-24-2013 07:40 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1180793)
For front squats and the clean, vertical shins are not helping in the least. Your body positions to center the weight. If you were powerlifting then you might consider it a benefit. Really depends on what you are trying to accomplish, being strong in the hole for a clean or snatch, or moving big weight on your back only.

Move big weight with good form that is healthy for my bod

Bill M. Hesse 07-24-2013 07:58 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
There doesn't really seem to be anything inherently wrong with the knees being forward. Climbing and stairs require it. Forcing a non-mobile joint into that position is another story.

John Holcombe 07-24-2013 08:07 AM

Re: Sharknado
 
A guy I used to work out with is currently in 6th place after day 1 in the men's 55-59 division! Pretty cool.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.