CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 02-07-2014 08:18 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Rest day yesterday and my legs were not as mad at me as i thought they would be. I guess my tolerance for wall balls has improved.

A. Front Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 2 - 130KG, tough but not ridiculous
B. Snatch High Pull. Above Knee Hang Squat Snatch, 1.1 @ 115lbs per min x 10 mins - completed, took a video
C. BTN Split Jerk. Split Jerk, 1.1 @ 155lb per min x 10 mins - completed, this felt awkward tonight
D. 10 touch n go Squat Clean @ 155lb every 2 mins x 5 sets - got the first three sets, fourth set I made it to seven and lost my grip. actually fell down on last rep of last set. This felt tough, not Fran-ish, but still tough.

I had an absolutely crap last couple days at work (from a bad decision I made for 5 minutes). You live, you learn. Trying to deal with it and move on, but no doubt it was weighing on me. Had a Facetime with Mike tonight too. We discussed training. We are aiming for a top 100 finish (in my Region) in the Open. I am still maintaining my run for last place at Can West Regionals. Will see what happens when the events are released. If it is right in the wheelhouse I stand a chance, super heavy snatches and I will be in trouble.

Jason A Smith 02-08-2014 02:47 PM

Back at it today. Did not have a great sleep last night.

AMRAP in 10 minutes:
14 power snatch @ 75lbs
7 bar facing burpees
6 rounds + 8 PS

This was my weekly Open tester. Badly played by me. I went out too fast and my low back tightened up really badly around round 4. I am positive that with a better and different approach i could move better on this one.

Chalk this up to a learning experience. Cold is pretty much gone !

Jason A Smith 02-09-2014 03:13 PM

Feeling better today, had some work issues late last week. Hopefully successfully sorted out tomorrow and can move on. I guess we shall see.....Not a whole lot I can do to control the situation so no use worrying about it. Had a great day today.

For time:
Ring Muscle-ups - 5,4,3,2,1
Box Jumps (30") - 10,10,10,10,10
2:59 - moved well. All MUs UB and actually did BJs so I was happy about that. Mindful about positioning on them etc.
+
rest as needed - 15 minutes
+
15 min AMRAP:
15 push press @ 75lbs
200m Row
50 du's
200m Row
5 rounds even, which is good, I think. Everything UB and smooth, obviously transition time into out and of the rower took some time

Rest day tomorrow.

Jason A Smith 02-11-2014 08:46 PM

Rested yesterday. Back at it today. Took the dog for an hour long Z1 dog walk first. Went to the affiliate tonight as I wanted some company for what I was getting myself into.

A. Squat Snatch, build to a tough single - 170# easy, missed 175# twice just a little off. Left it there, but feel like my confidence with snatching is getting better. Now just need to keep it up and drill consistency
B. Squat Clean and Split Jerk, build to a moderate double - 5 sec reset b/t reps - 205#, this felt about right. Thought about maybe going up another 10#, but was needing some time for the other stuff.
C. 2 sets ALL OUT:
250m Row
15 KBS - 32kg
25 Burpees
15 KBS - 32kg
250m Row
--10 min rest and repeat
*Goal is sub 4 min on both efforts
3:44, 3:53 - That hurt. I felt pretty recovered after about 5:00 but started to cramp. As I was leaving the gym and getting into my truck, everything cramped up. I know I hit it hard.

Those are PR's on those testers for sure. I have done the other rep scheme (same test) a few other times and up until now my best was 4:16 or so. I tried to stay under control until about halfway through the burpees and then just hung on. Never slowed at all on the burpees and all swings UB. Proud of this effort.

Jason A Smith 02-13-2014 09:03 AM

Had an impromptu rest day yesterday as I did not sleep well on Tuesday night. Decided to rally the tropps, get to bed early and hit it early this morning before work. Been a while since I did that.

A. Back Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 5 - only one tough set - 295#, a little less than last time but still tough and heavy. My quads were really tight warming up.
B. OHS @ 135lbs, on the minute until failure - start @ 1 min, increase by 1 rep per min - made 5/8 on minute 8 and lost the bar. Could have saved it. My goal was to go to 10. A little disappointed with this
C. 9 burpees onto 24" box per min x 10 mins - completed. I won't say this was "easy" because it was not but it wasn't as awful as the wall balls from a couple weeks ago either. I am good with both of these mevements. I did most of them jump up, step down which seemed to be the best and most efficient. I did a couple sets rebounding and did a few stepping up. The rebounding tired me out and only increased the entire set speed by a couple seconds. Jump up/step down tired me out less and was only marginally slower. Fastest set was 25s, slowest was 35s (set 8 & 9 were the sloest by 4 & 5s, all the others 30s and under)

Good session, would have liked to go a couple minutes more on OHS, wouldn't mind trying it again next week and see if I can do better.

Jason A Smith 02-14-2014 10:23 PM

Back at it tonight. I don't mind training in the morning, I like getting git over with. But heavy lifting and gross conditioning first thing in the morning hurts. Hopefully I can get back to it and free my evenings back up.

A. Front Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 3 - To a tough but reasonable 275#
B. Power Clean. Push Jerk. Split Jerk, 1.1.1 per min x 10 mins - 5 mins @ 135lbs, 5 mins @ 155lbs - completed
C. Squat Snatch. Snatch Balance, 1.1 per min x 10 mins - 5 mins @ 105lbs, 5 mins @ 115lbs - completed
D. 15 unbroken touch n go power snatch @ 95lbs x 5 sets, 1 min b/t - got four out of 5 sets UB though I had to re-grip on set four at rep 11. Last set actually broke 11/4

The stamina work has helped and pointed out that my barbell efficiency still needs some work. I was good to about rep 10 on each set and then it got really quite ugly. Something to think about for next time.

Jason A Smith 02-16-2014 08:58 PM

Was supposed to train yesterday but an all day hockey tournament out of town put the brakes on that one. Back to it today

AMRAP in 10 minutes:
15 chest to bar
10 thruster @ 75lbs
15 chest to bar
10 thruster @ 95lbs
15 chest to bar
10 thruster @ 115lbs
15 chest to bar
10 thruster @ 135lbs
15 chest to bar
10 thruster @ 155lbs
15 chest to bar
AMRAP thruster @ 175lbs in remaining time
Made it 5 reps into the set of 155# thrusters. This was a tough one and all C2B's for me. The thrusters I only broke 5/5 at 135#, did the last 5 UB as well. Got a blood blister in there somewhere so that didn't help either.

That was a gooder. There is video of my coach Mike F. doing very similar. He got 9 reps at 175# but started without the 75# thrusters. So I feel pretty good seeing as how that was not the issue for me (thrusters)

I am somewhat intrigued and tempted at the MP challenge for tomorrow. I can do triple unders and those heavy thrusters. Maybe that should be the Open WOD 14.1

Jason A Smith 02-17-2014 08:06 PM

And I am no longer intrigued. Ben Smith made that too easy. Today was a day off of work today but busy still. Our daughter was involved in a girls hockey event in Brandon today. She got to be on the ice and meet some 3 time Olympic Gold Medallists. Which was super cool. I caught up on some much needed shovelling (2 hours) and then took the dog out for an hour. Then I got at my training.

21,15,9 @ high effort:
KBS - 32kg
Box Jumps - 24"
GH Sit-ups
5:52, I moved quite well on this one. Minimal transitions in between and all Ub and smooth
+
rest as needed - 10:00, which is how long it took me to set up and wait for my wife to finish with the rower
+
For time:
1k Row
10 burpee ring muscle-ups
1k Row
20 kipping hspu
1k row
30 toes to bar
20:13, MUs were a little slow today as I could still feel the C2B's from yesterday. HSPUs went 8/7/5 but it took about 10 reps to find a good kip. (I can do better). T2B were really good in sets of 10 in well under 2 minutes.

All things considered a good way to end the weekend. Missing Saturday has screwed my schedule up for the week but I will soldier on. Open in ten days.

Jason A Smith 02-18-2014 08:23 PM

So day 3 for me, and it was scheduled to be an epic showdown.

A. Power Snatch Cluster, 1.1 - build to a tough set - 160#, which is a PR double. Tried 165# but didn't get a good pull. Next time
B. Split Jerk, build to a tough single - Up to 235# easily and quickly. Lilkely should have loaded up 245# and hit a PR
C. For time:
10 thruster @ 115lb
15 lateral barbell burpees
20 power clean @ 115lbs
15 lateral barbell burpees
10 thruster @ 115lb
*Sub 2:45 min
3:40, total bust about halfway through the PC's. I pretty much psyched myself out of this one. Had I been able to get deep into the PC reps I would have charged hard to the finish. And I could have for sure. Mentally I gave up, so I am disappointed with that.

One more session tomorrow before a rest day. This was the only thing that had me a little concerned this week. Everything else actually looks like fun.

Jason A Smith 02-19-2014 06:36 PM

Day 4 in a row, and much better. I trained at home tonight which I haven't done in a while through the week.

A. Back Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 3 - only one tough set - 145KG, which matches my best 3 so happy about that. Felt like there was a couple more KG's in there for sure
B. Squat Snatch. OHS, 1.3 @ 135lb per min x 12 mins - Completed and decent, started a little stiff and actually got better as I got going, about 8 minutes in this felt good.
C. EMOM x 10 mins:
10 Wall Balls - 20#
5 Toes to Bar
All completed at 26s, I moved well on these, this felt really good tonight.

A much better effort tonight, I am happy to have this done and over with and move on. Those lactate testers get me all nerved up for some reason. They shouldn't, it is just exercise.