CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Pat Quigley 07-18-2009 08:50 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Birch (Post 627183)
Amy are you doing Melissa Byers 30 day challenge? Sounds like.

Pat and Laura, the premise behind the 30 day paleo "cleanse" if you will is outlined here (w/f safe) in Melissa Byer's blog. She does a great job of explaining the why, what, and how of the 30 days of clean eating. Here's a quote from the post from the "why" section:

Check out the whole story(w/f/s), it makes alot of sense.

thanks Matt, good "food" for thought.

Laura Kurth 07-18-2009 05:31 PM

I read melissas blog all the time. I've probably read everything she has ever written :)

Don Roxby 07-19-2009 10:27 AM

Help! I'm about thirty days into a Paleo-like diet and two weeks into CrossFit. I was formerly a big sugar junkie with the sugar coming mostly from gallons of sweet tea. I have been feeling great with lots of energy until about three days ago. After Crossfit I came home and suddenly just felt wiped out. The feeling can best be described as having been drained of energy or just plain out of gas. That feeling continued all day Saturday (rest day) and is worse today. I had no "umph" at all during CrossFit this morning. Has anyone else experienced a slump like this when dropping sugar and grains?

My hunch is that I'm simply not getting enough food in me, but I eat whenever I'm hungry. Any thoughts? Here are some typical days from my food log:

7/12/09
BF: Cashews
Lunch: Sliced Turkey Breast/Salad w/Oil & Vinegar
Snacks: Cashews/Asparagus
Dinner: Elk/Chicken/Arugula Salad w/Tomatoes

7/13/09
BF: Asparagus/Green Salad
Lunch: Salad w/Alfalfa Sprouts/Pecans – Lamb Chops
Snacks: Apple Sauce
Dinner: Steak/Asparagus/Salad w/Walnuts

7/14/09
BF: Walnuts/Carrots
Lunch: Garden Salad w/Almonds/Cheddar
Snacks: Almonds/Watermelon
Dinner: Ham Steak/Cucumbers/Baby Sunflower Greens

I have on average a cup of whole milk a day and occasional cheese on salad.

Height 6'1"
Weight: ~195

Thanks!

Amber Mathwig 07-19-2009 11:45 AM

Hi Don,

You didn't include any portion sizes here, so erring on the side of caution, I'm going to say you don't eat enough and need more protein. Your meals from the 14th show only one bit of protein? Also, it would do you some good to have a high carb veggie/fruit sometime during your day (preferably after a workout) to replenish your glycogyn (sp) stores. Your body should be used to the change in eating after 30 days, so I'm guessing your hungry.

Welcome!

Amber Mathwig 07-19-2009 11:51 AM

RECIPE ALERT!

This is my new favorite recipe:

The Original
Batter Bread (a thin soft bread suitable for toppings or sandwiches)
------------
6 T oil
1 t raw honey (optional)
3 eggs
1 C pecan nut meal
1/4 C arrowroot

Combine all and pour on to a greased cookie sheet (approximately 12x8x1/2
inch). Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes. Cut in to desired size.

I used almond meal and cooked small amounts in a cast iron skillet for bread for sandwiches on Friday night. This morning I substited coconut oil in and made waffles! Although we did use syrup, they are sweet enough if someone chose to go with just butter and fruit. Double batch made 8 good sized waffles.

(Side note: Breakfast also included sauted sweet potatoes, peppers and onions with hot sausage and eggs as well as a side of bacon. I love weekends!)

Don Roxby 07-19-2009 11:53 AM

Amber, I haven't been weighing anything operating on the assumption that eating enough has never been a problem for me. I generally just eat until I'm full. What I'm realizing is that my appetite has completely changed! I've gone from eating constantly all day, (maybe as a result of my insulin rollercoaster ride) to eating regular meals. I just ate a couple of tangerines and within minutes I was feeling better so I think you are right about the fruit.

I have alot to learn! I just signed up for FitDay and I'm hoping this will help to organize my eating a bit.

Thanks for the reply!

Amber Mathwig 07-19-2009 11:55 AM

Let us know how you feel in a few days after adding the fruit!

Amber Mathwig 07-19-2009 04:53 PM

Ok, great recipe posted in my paleo blog for zuchinni "pasta" and seafood. I'm going to try and remember to do this more often, as I think I'm a damn good cook and should share what I know. :D Ha.

Jason R O'Dell 07-19-2009 07:42 PM

Ok so I've been avoiding sugar like the plague lately. I don't think I need much support for that, because it's fairly easy to do. (although sometimes you'll get something and eat it then turn it over and find out it has like 3g of sugar. But I mean I avoid stuff that I know if full of the crap).
However, it's led to me not eating as much fruit. About how much fruit would you say is acceptable on a daily basis?
Only with one meal a day or only once as a snack? Or if I had an apple as a snack and strawberries and blueberries with lunch would I be ok?

I mean I know it's natural sugar so it's not like the processed crap, and thus not as bad, but too much of it still isn't good. Right? I know this has probably been discussed in this thread, but it's 71 pages. That's a lot of reading before bed! Haha.

And while I'm on that subject. How many of you will not read a label and go "Oh it probably doesn't have sugar" and then eat something and then turn it over cause you're curious and see that it has like 2-4 grams a serving. That drives me nuts. I try to avoid it, but if it's like 1-5 I just ingested I don't typically mind. Now if we're over 5 and especially in double digits then I freak.

Don Roxby 07-19-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell (Post 627787)
How many of you will not read a label and go "Oh it probably doesn't have sugar" and then eat something and then turn it over cause you're curious and see that it has like 2-4 grams a serving. That drives me nuts. I try to avoid it, but if it's like 1-5 I just ingested I don't typically mind. Now if we're over 5 and especially in double digits then I freak.

I made a salad tonight and for a change splashed some rice wine vinegar on it. The second damn ingredient was high fructose corn syrup. You can hardly escape that crap. It's in freaking everything.