CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Joe Bernard 04-24-2009 07:44 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Kurth (Post 573867)
My favorite 'liquid sugar' is pure maple syrup. On pancakes of course :rofl:

I like it on pretty much anything :D Tomorrow it will be on french toast, mmhhhmmm...so good.

Melissa Urban 04-24-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Kurth (Post 573867)
My favorite 'liquid sugar' is pure maple syrup. On pancakes of course :rofl:

We may have been separated at birth, although I sub french toast for pancakes.

Other things you can put maple syrup on/in include:
  • Tea (instead of honey or cream/sugar)
  • Fresh fruit (strawberries or melon are my favorite)
  • Butternut squash
  • Sweet potato
  • Bacon (yuuummm)

Unfortunately, Dallas (my trainer and 603 partner) somehow evil-ninja'd me into doing a 30 day super-strict Paleo thing with him. No sugar, grains, dairy, processed foods or cheats of any kind. Which means NO SYRUP. Which happens to be the highest item on my F-Off Scale.

I am still trying to figure out how he got me to agree to this. We're a week in and I'm grouchy every time I have to pour a cup of coffee with coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream.

Laura Kurth 04-24-2009 08:16 AM

mmm I like French Toast too, but I have had this in the past and it came out kind of wet in the center. Gross. If the french toast is light and fluffy... Yummm

Laura Kurth 04-24-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Byers (Post 573913)
We may have been separated at birth, although I sub french toast for pancakes.

• Butternut squash
  • Sweet potato
  • Bacon (yuuummm)

Unfortunately, Dallas (my trainer and 603 partner) somehow evil-ninja'd me into doing a 30 day super-strict Paleo thing with him. No sugar, grains, dairy, processed foods or cheats of any kind. Which means NO SYRUP. Which happens to be the highest item on my F-Off Scale.

I am still trying to figure out how he got me to agree to this. We're a week in and I'm grouchy every time I have to pour a cup of coffee with coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream.

bummer. No... alcohol even :confused:

30 days is a long time to go without beer.

Samantha Aurelio 04-24-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

I am doing this to myself to see if I can possibly curb my stress with clean eating/great amounts of sleep. ickkkk.. I want chocolate and cheese and wine :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Kurth (Post 573920)
bummer. No... alcohol even :confused:

30 days is a long time to go without beer.

30 days is a long time without lots of things.. ahh! 21 more days! ...

Brittany Warren 04-24-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

• Butternut squash
  • Sweet potato
  • Bacon (yuuummm)

Maple syrup on butternut squash and sweet potatoes sounds wonderful.

I've been scouring the intarwebz for recipes that will A) get eaten by the hubs, and B) not violate the no grains no sugars thing. I'm doing acorn squash stuffed with apples tonight (Thank you, Elana's Pantry!) and I'm hoping he doesn't pull a toddler on me. He's...a little picky.

Laura Kurth 04-24-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittany Warren (Post 573976)
Maple syrup on butternut squash and sweet potatoes sounds wonderful.

I've been scouring the intarwebz for recipes that will A) get eaten by the hubs, and B) not violate the no grains no sugars thing. I'm doing acorn squash stuffed with apples tonight (Thank you, Elana's Pantry!) and I'm hoping he doesn't pull a toddler on me. He's...a little picky.

I have some stuff I like to do when trying to "trick" hubby into eating less carbohydrates.

Like cooking a bunch of cauliflower and pureeing it with cheese. (like gorgonzola or something)

Also, i have made lasagne with zuchinni instead of noodles.

Of course these ideas contain dairy which is no good if you are not eating that.

Oh i made the stuffed eggplants from marks daily apple a while back, it is eggplants that you scour the inside out of, chop it mix it with tomatoes, ground meat and some other stuff then bake in the oven. MDA is a good source for recipes.

I also make brussells sprouts with onions and apple chunks, all sauteed together with some apple cider vinegear and some spices and stuff. He loves that (goes well with pork) I don't eat it because brussells sprouts make me gag (yes, Melissa I saw your blog post but I just can't do it!!! )

Pete Mielo 05-05-2009 06:21 PM

Just got back from family vacation (Disneyworld) and did so/so with no grains/no sugars. While in Disney I did my best to stick to it but the two day drive on each end was another story. Two days on each end of mainly fast food, I felt like crap by this Sunday night! :(

Last night I had friends over who just got back from Iraq (Amber, they went to watch your CFT you held in Iraq!) and I made dinner. Boneless chicken breast and scallops parm with broccoli and faux (cauliflower) mashed potatoes. We made up our unfavorable carbs in 12 year old Scotch, Patron Tequila and Chianti though! :smiley_ev

Jason R O'Dell 05-05-2009 06:34 PM

I'm doing pretty good on my no grains and sugars right now. Although I've noticed sugar finds a way to sneak it's ugly little head in when you don't expect it. I swear it's in everything these days. But, I do pretty good avoiding it for the most part or at least heaping quantities of it like I'd have eaten before. The most I get is maybe 2g in my bleu cheese dressing.

Now what I am having trouble kicking is caffeine. I mean is caffeine as bad of a culprit as sugar and high carb processed foods when it comes to insulin sensitivity and keeping the spare tire on your midsection?

Harley Jennings 05-05-2009 11:29 PM

Caffeine is your friend Jason. You might actually find it as an aid in fighting that midsection.