CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Murray Birch 03-31-2009 08:33 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

This 7 day challenge (Safe) looks like a good way to get things kicked off or get things back on track. I don't know if it needs to be followed to the letter, but it's a good starting place.

Mat Frankel 03-31-2009 12:30 PM

Going on day 2. Going well. Going to do yesterdays WOD today, kinda nervous and really excited. After working really hard, it's just not worth it to put crap into my body. I am what I eat.

Matt Berardi 03-31-2009 01:03 PM

Hey guys, finally decided to start the whole paleo thing. I've been on IF for a while so I'm no stranger to eating differently! I actually do shorter feeding periods... on the weekends I am less religious though because I do workouts earlier in the day.

My question for everyone on Paleo is - How do you deal with not eating ice cream / sweets? I can cut out the pasta. I gladly cut out potatos. But when theres a Hawaiian Blizzard waiting for me at dairy queen, I don't know how I'll resist! furthermore I think I'd really miss it as a part of life.

What are some good replacements for this kind of joy? Protein shake ideas would be great! Smoothies... I guess sorbets are still fair game?

Thanks!

Jack Stetson 03-31-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Berardi (Post 555558)

How do you deal with not eating ice cream / sweets?

Hasn't been a problem so far...

To satisfy a sweet craving I'll have a piece of fruit or some berries. Sometimes a few nuts will do the trick--pecans and macadamia nuts taste sweet to me.

Fruit smoothies made with almond milk, coconut milk, water, or (for members of the LactoPaleo tribe) regular milk are great.

After a couple of days, I just didn't miss the sugar or starch. It's extraneous.

Erin Arno 03-31-2009 02:21 PM

After ordering a cheeseburger with fries tonight, I will be trying a one month n grain/no sugar trial. I have been doing Zone/Paleo guidelines since January and have been very happy. I have just tried IF this month and I'm documenting it's affects and feel great. So I need a next step. I'm really good at starting things, so I have added something new to the schedule every month and it's really been helping me keep on track.

Tomorrow will be easier because it's a fasting day, so I only have to handle dinner, which is the hardest meal for me to keep right. I also love eating my oat bran in the morning and just bought a bunch of steel cut oats before I decided to do this, but I want to know what NO grains is like, so I will just hold off until May.

So checking in to the challenge, and here we go!

Tom Gerhard 03-31-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

This 7 day challenge (Safe) looks like a good way to get things kicked off or get things back on track.
Thanks, Murray!

As I'm travelling this week without total control of my foodstuffs, I'll be trying this when I get home. :)

Amber Mathwig 04-01-2009 01:04 AM

:welcome: Erin and Matt!

Matt - I just eat the darn ice cream. :D A once in awhile treat (however often that once in awhile may be) is not going to make or break your diet - provided it is not an everyday/all day thing. Sorbets and smoothies are great substitutes for ice cream cravings.

Monday and Tuesday went great - NG/NS. I had a belgium waffle for breakfast today along with some super sweet apple-cinnamon topping. Might have ice cream later (my stomach has been hating me since Monday night) then Thursday through Saturday will be NS/NG again.

Michael Ricketts 04-01-2009 03:04 AM

Good work All!

I gotta agree, a cheat every now and then is required to maintain a little sanity. At least for me...

Jesse Short 04-01-2009 05:16 PM

So I'm back from Vegas and it went exactly as planned. Lost some money, drank way too much, and didn't get any sleep.

I started paleo today and it was great so far. Mostly eggs, ham, and fruit for breakfast and then chicken with sliced carrots, onions, and some soy sauce. Still working on dinner, but probably some kind of stir fry. If I can make it a week I will be estatic. I definitely think I can teach myself to finally each vegetables if I cook them right. The tough part is not getting bored and making sure all my meals are planned. I look forward to reading everyones different recipes and food suggestions over the coming weeks. We have a farmers market in town, which I am going to start going to on the weekends. :stir:

Amber Mathwig 04-02-2009 12:37 AM

Yesterday's planned cheat went a little overboard, but it was GOOOOD (except I have confirmed I really DON'T like Do-si-dos GSC's).

Thursday-Saturday = NG/NS. :D