CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Dave McCutchen 03-23-2009 06:39 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio (Post 548871)
fruit!!!!!!!! oh so much fruit! and dried fruits. and greens and potatoes and squash :)

For some reason, I've never had any problems with any of those foods. Personally, I am a very "Dirty" eater. If I allow myself to eat whatever I want, it's going to be something like Pizza, Cheeseburgers, Hot Dogs, Meat Lovers Pizza, etc...

David Hanson 03-23-2009 09:11 PM

I'm stationed out in Iraq on a base with a gloriously well stocked chow hall and trying to pick up Paleo. Suggestions on how to best get started and stick with it?

Mat Frankel 03-24-2009 05:20 AM

No sugar yesterday, 100% zoned. Feels good to work hard and get back into it after having cheated on the weekend.

I will not have sugars today.

Have a good one everybody.

Harley Jennings 03-24-2009 08:28 AM

David, where you at man and yes I can help you with Paleo choices...

David Hanson 03-25-2009 03:25 AM

I'm about 50 miles west of Baghdad at TQ. The chow served up has plenty of options (G-d Bless the Airwing). There's always at least two meat choices, a veggie portion, fast food, special of the day, salad bar with most of the fixings, sandwich bar, and of course the pastry bar.

I stick to the meat stuff pretty easy. Vegetables are pretty clear cut with respect to no beans or potatoes. I stay away from any preserved foods (like canned pears). The fast chow (ie chee burgers, philly cheese steaks, pizza's) I stay away from as well.

With salads, what's the accepted rule on dressings/oil/vinegar and what are some good paleo snack choices for when the chow hall is shut down? Any other suggestions are certainly welcomed and appreciated.

Randy Hill 03-25-2009 03:50 AM

Chiming in.. My first goal is 2 weeks of no crack.. I got this! :cool:

Harley Jennings 03-25-2009 04:37 AM

David,

You are right, there should be plenty of options out at TQ. Salad dressing really depends on you at this point. Are you trying to keep your net carbs low? If so, stay away from anything "low fat" or "lite" as they are usually higher in carbs. Remember that fat is your friend and will help you burn fat. Olive oil is always a good choice.

One thing I do here in Mosul is take a chicken breast from the main line, shread it up on a bed of lettuce, and mix a TBS of olive oil with some texas pete (makes a buffalo taste) and use that as the dressing.

Of course hard boiled eggs in the AM. Bacon if you aren't 100% strict paleo. Stay away from the deli meat if you can stand it, it is usually over processed and full of Sodium.

Do you guys have a Stir-Fry lane? That can be your friend, meat and a ton of veggies (no noodles or rice), and go light on any sauce.

Matthew Upright 03-25-2009 04:48 AM

David,
The chicken breasts from the health bar make a good mid afternoon snack, grab a to-go plate when you get in the DFAC and pick one up as you grab your lunch that way you can throw it in the fridge when you get back to work.

Mat Frankel 03-25-2009 06:00 AM

:ranting2:

Anyone else think that almonds/cashews/nuts in general have some kind of addictive ingredient that we just don't know about yet?

David Hanson 03-25-2009 06:22 AM

Matthew and Harley,

Thank you both for your support and insight. While we don't have fridges in our rooms any take home meal won't go bad in one morning or afternoon. Stir fry sounds damn good too. Haven't had it yet. Those options are definitely going to be looking into.

Another brain picker: What's a good quick energy snack for the slow late night post?

And Mat: Simplicity.