CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Carla Tremblay 03-23-2009 07:36 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Cohen (Post 547464)
Marianne;

Least you're trying, and that's 90% of the battle.

Dan John summed it up pretty good when talking about the V-Diet. It's a 28 day battle and you must stayed focused on that battle, period. Family, friends, work, dogs, sailing, skiing, etc do not come first, but rather the V-diet for 28 days comes first, period, end of story.

Now I know, some might think that is extreme, well, NO SH-T, it is EXTREME. Chances are the person that is on this diet is FAT and has been FAT and has not lost weight via other programs, so now it's time to declare war on the FAT. It's not for everyone, in fact, most fail, but those that do make it, feel stronger (least mentality), then return to a more healthy eating style(hopefully).

So, what's this got to do with your post, well Ms. Marianne, you need to plan better. You really need to think about what your next day eating is going to be like, THE NIGHT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a business meeting, or sporting event, you either eat before, or more on point, bring your own food. Don't tell me you can't do that, just mention, you have a food allergy or must eat certain foods. Done, don't need to explain any further. Open up your little fancy lunch pail and eat your own foods, which in most cases people will say "that looks good, wish I would have thought to bring some healthier food like that"

I have a friend that has Celiac disease, so no Gluten for her, and she has no problem passing up the pasta and bread made with junk white flour, but rather when the mood strikes, makes her own bread using potato, rice flours and a host of other gluten free products.

As to nuts, if they're your downfall, don't keep them in the house, or buy very small amounts. You probably are craving more fat vs the salt.

Bottom line, how bad, how really, really bad do you want to lose weight, get stronger, become a lean mean fighting machine????????????

Willing to be talked about, maybe lose a so called friend or too, go to bed earlier, maybe miss up a few social functions, yada yada yada.

Look at anyone that is at the top of their game, and you'll see someone that lives the 3 D's.

Discipline
Determination
Dedication

Everyone wants to go to Heaven, No one wants to Die.

Have a great Sunday.

Wow, Thanks Jay! You've got me pumped for this week. I leave for SD tomorrow! Going to the store today to get some supplies for my work conference...

Amber Mathwig 03-23-2009 02:55 PM

Hmm, so I've been going a little batty for the past few days....other than ribs last night, the only other non-battered/gravied protein option has been dry chicken. (Please nobody mention eggs, I'm not awake for breakfast and HB eggs only go out on the midrats chow line 1-2 times a week). So, today I had a STRONG craving for anything besides dry chicken and veggies. My meals were still largely protein and veg, but also included a small handful of onion rings, a very small amount of cheese and a quesadilla. Plus two cookies. :( Back on track tomorrow.

11 and a wake-up! I never eat desserts so consistently at home, I can't wait to get home.

Rachel Canning 03-23-2009 03:43 PM

Hey everyone - so the road trip during our PCS move was very cheat style after the first day. That lasted for about three days (let me tell you how fat and nasty eating crap made me feel!) and even though we won't be moving into our house until at the earliest Wednesday, we (I make my hubby Zone with me too) have been really good with our diets. In fact I just had an awesome snack that I thought I would share. Sorry for you Paleo fans, it isn't Paleo due to the dairy (right?)

Half cup of Cottage Cheese
One fuji apple - chopped up
Crushed walnuts

Mmm, it was yummy! Other than that we have been doing veggie omelets and fruit for breakfast and yesterday had some grilled chicken and a salad up in Tucson for dinner. I can't wait to get all moved into our house so I can start cooking again!

Amber - when do you come home? I am sure you are not only excited, but ready. I know my hubby hated his food at the chow hall and from your descriptions of lack of available foods you are as well.

Michael Ricketts 03-23-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 548714)
Hmm, so I've been going a little batty for the past few days....other than ribs last night, the only other non-battered/gravied protein option has been dry chicken. (Please nobody mention eggs, I'm not awake for breakfast and HB eggs only go out on the midrats chow line 1-2 times a week). So, today I had a STRONG craving for anything besides dry chicken and veggies. My meals were still largely protein and veg, but also included a small handful of onion rings, a very small amount of cheese and a quesadilla. Plus two cookies. :( Back on track tomorrow.

11 and a wake-up! I never eat desserts so consistently at home, I can't wait to get home.

11 days to go! Awesome!

The food choices there sound kinda... boring. I don't remember the food being all that bad in Iraq. (Other than the lack of fresh fruit) Maybe it is different becuase I was on a huge Marine Air Base. Our saying anytime anything started to suck... At least I am not on the boat!

Dave McCutchen 03-23-2009 04:29 PM

But...But...I just bought 4 boxes of Aun Jemima's Microwavable Pancakes that I absolutely go wild about on my carb days.......

You know what, I think I am going to have to join the party with this one. I have been doing the anabolic diet for about 2 months now, and when I get to my carb days I go absolutely INSANE with grains and sugars. I spend the whole week working hard with my diet, yet when Saturday and Sunday comes around I blow it all by eating WAY more carbs than I am supposed to and they are not clean in any way. I'm not sure why I haven't done this sooner because I feel like a Zombie when I eat grains/sugars! Now, I've got a small bottle of MuscleMilk (Mmm, Brownie Batter flavor!) left, and each serving includes 4g of Sugar, so I'm going to finish that, yet cancel out any other sources of grains/sugars in my diet while I'm at it. After the bottle of MuscleMilk is gone, it will be 'Bye Bye' to my MuscleMilk Ice Cream shakes (MuscleMilk Brownie Batter + Heavy Whipping Cream + A little time in the freezer = A delicious, low carb, Ice Cream like shake) And I will be fully into this thing.

Count me in!

Brett Dartt 03-23-2009 04:58 PM

AHHHHHHH! i had another brownie and some icecream. tomorrow im doing this. although i do have a bit of honey in tea and in my greek yogurt. but thats it.

Is sprouted flax bread considered a grain or bad carb? because i like to eat it with eggs and bacon as toast. and sometimes a slice of toast with peanut/almond butter for a snack.

Brett Dartt 03-23-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McCutchen (Post 548804)
But...But...I just bought 4 boxes of Aun Jemima's Microwavable Pancakes that I absolutely go wild about on my carb days.......

You know what, I think I am going to have to join the party with this one. I have been doing the anabolic diet for about 2 months now, and when I get to my carb days I go absolutely INSANE with grains and sugars. I spend the whole week working hard with my diet, yet when Saturday and Sunday comes around I blow it all by eating WAY more carbs than I am supposed to and they are not clean in any way. I'm not sure why I haven't done this sooner because I feel like a Zombie when I eat grains/sugars! Now, I've got a small bottle of MuscleMilk (Mmm, Brownie Batter flavor!) left, and each serving includes 4g of Sugar, so I'm going to finish that, yet cancel out any other sources of grains/sugars in my diet while I'm at it. After the bottle of MuscleMilk is gone, it will be 'Bye Bye' to my MuscleMilk Ice Cream shakes (MuscleMilk Brownie Batter + Heavy Whipping Cream + A little time in the freezer = A delicious, low carb, Ice Cream like shake) And I will be fully into this thing.

Count me in!

this is what i do to. although i have been much better as of late. actually still eating pretty clean on the weekdays compared to before but like to have icecream or some other fatty desert before bed on the weekend now. but am learning to stay away from cakes and cookies and such except for my damn brownies yesterday and today. uggh
and i should say they arent just your average homemade brownie size. they are the super delicious safeway uber giant excessively moist fudge brownies that will blow your ****ing mind

Dave McCutchen 03-23-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Dartt (Post 548826)
this is what i do to. although i have been much better as of late. actually still eating pretty clean on the weekdays compared to before but like to have icecream or some other fatty desert before bed on the weekend now. but am learning to stay away from cakes and cookies and such except for my damn brownies yesterday and today. uggh
and i should say they arent just your average homemade brownie size. they are the super delicious safeway uber giant excessively moist fudge brownies that will blow your ****ing mind

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with the carb-up weekends on the anabolic diet. When I plan for the weekends, I get this sort of mind set that I can eat whatever I want and as much as I want. Today, that stops. My carb ups will not include any grains nor sugars, and I will feel great! I'm pumped now, it's time to take absolute control of my diet. Get some!

Samantha Aurelio 03-23-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McCutchen (Post 548870)
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with the carb-up weekends on the anabolic diet. When I plan for the weekends, I get this sort of mind set that I can eat whatever I want and as much as I want. Today, that stops. My carb ups will not include any grains nor sugars, and I will feel great! I'm pumped now, it's time to take absolute control of my diet. Get some!

fruit!!!!!!!! oh so much fruit! and dried fruits. and greens and potatoes and squash :)

Rachel Canning 03-23-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 548714)
11 and a wake-up!

Okay so I totally missed that you were referring to 11 days and a wake up left.... disregard my question!