CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Brian Bedell 03-21-2009 02:07 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Not really sure why you would zone. I think better food choices are a great idea, but why in your case measure what you are eating?

Marianne Urbanski 03-21-2009 02:08 PM

Hey everyone... I haven't been checking this thread enough lately and i haven't been doing as good as I have wanted (probably why I haven't looked here.. didn't want to know! )
I was at a business meeting the other day and they only had bagels and pastry for breakfast (note to self: eat BEFORE you leave for meetings!), I finally indulged in 1/2 bagel when I couldn't even concentrate any more cuz I was so hungry! --note: I did have coffee w/ whatever that cream crap they had--2 cups!!

the good news:I had salad and fish for lunch (they got a special piece of fish for me cuz i don't eat meat!).. BUT.... I didn't have any cookies!! :)(man, they looked good!)

I have been really craving nuts lately and they are honestly my down fall. The problem is they have salt and I know I am eating too many. I wonder .. am I craving the salt or the fat? I don't eat meat, so possibly i am craving small amount of protein in them? I think I am just being a very bad girl and I should throw them out!

today I skiied all day and I get SO hungry when I do. I usually indulge in chips/salsa and whatever other crap we have at the end of the day (with my wine of course!) .. but I have just indulged in the nuts (and ONE BITE of my daughter's pasta!).. Man... it's hard not to eat pasta and bread when everyone else does, isn't it!?! anyone else experience this? (thank GOD I brought some dark chocolate!)...

Amber and EVERYONE.. you are doing GREAT!! keep up the great work everyone. I am enjoying reading about your progress.. it really does help to motivate me!! :)

Tom Gerhard 03-21-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Man... it's hard not to eat pasta and bread when everyone else does, isn't it!?! anyone else experience this?
Yes! My family basically exists on pasta. I also bake regularly (sourdoughs, french bread, cinnamon rolls, cookies) for them and others -- so yes, definitely hard to resist, but I do anyway except for a lapse every now and then.

I've been strict paleo all week except for cereal on Tuesday and a cookie last night. I made sure I ate before I took my son to his Cub Scout dinner where all they had was pizza and cake, and I didn't have a bite.

Jesse Short 03-21-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Bedell (Post 547181)
Not really sure why you would zone. I think better food choices are a great idea, but why in your case measure what you are eating?

Because I've noticed that my workouts are much improved when I have experimented with balancing my protein/carbs/fat for each meal. Normally I just eat a bowl of pasta or have just a chicken sandwich for dinner. Or like right now, half a bag of Chex/Mix.

I think just switching to healthier food won't be enough for me. I want to make sure that I am getting enough protein/carbs/fat to sustain my lean body mass while doing CF, as well as balancing everything between meals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas (Post 546073)
Damn you chikfila chicken biscuits! DAMN YOU!!!:ranting2:

Yeah, I second that! Those are going to be impossible to give up! I am definitely adding them to my list of things to eat before getting back from Vegas. I have been known to buy 3 or 4 on Saturday and put them in the fridge, just so I can put them in the microwave on Sunday morning when the store is closed. I went to school in Atlanta and there is a Chik-Fil-A on every corner.

Amber Mathwig 03-21-2009 03:11 PM

Michael - good job! Keep it up! breaded chicken....blah.

Mat - it happens :shrug: Best thing to do is to get back on track with the next meal.

Jesse - :welcome: So, are you trying to gain weight as well as be a firebreather?

Tom - you bake? I think I have the wrong boyfriend.

Hi Brian!

Marianne - Agh! You spoke too soon! I had some ice cream today :rofl: I couldn't stop thinking about it, and via an experiment a few months ago, I know sometimes it's just better to eat whatever I am thinking about. It is different though from all the cookies, which I had completely been grabbing out of habit and not neccessarily want. You're doing great though! Skiing is tough work and calls for massive replenishment at the end of the day. I dropped nuts out of my daily regime a few weeks ago. I think I was mostly craving the salt (as well as mindless eating of them throughout the workday), as I used to keep raw nuts at home all the time and rarely overindulged in them.

Back on track. I'm winding down for the day, drinking my tea.

Brian Bedell 03-21-2009 06:34 PM

That makes some sense Jesse, but quality and quantity are two different things. Again, when you mentioned "non-zoning" you said you ate pasta, sandwich, chex/mix. I just think that you can change your choices without the measuring. But whatever works for you, I just think the measuring would cause you to eat less. And, i'm just jealous, if i did not have to watch my portion control, i would never measure anything.

Joe Bernard 03-21-2009 06:37 PM

160 and 6ft, man ditch zone and the WAMing and just eat paleo! You and I are sticks man (I'm 146-148 and 5'10). Eating paleo and ditching grains and sugars really helped my performance and body comp (been doing it for 1.5years now), it will do the same thing for you if you give it a shot. The zone on crap is still zone, but not ideal. I'm with Brian, food choices are better.

Jesse Short 03-21-2009 11:49 PM

You guys make some excellent points. I hadn't thought of it that way. I'll start with the paleo, cause I know that when I eat crap food I feel like crap. I guess, maybe I thought the Zone would be good because its something I could transition into easily. Me switching to no grains is going to be like taking away Austin Power's mojo.

Jay Cohen 03-22-2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski (Post 547182)

I was at a business meeting the other day and they only had bagels and pastry for breakfast (note to self: eat BEFORE you leave for meetings!), I finally indulged in 1/2 bagel when I couldn't even concentrate any more cuz I was so hungry!

the good news:I had salad and fish for lunch (they got a special piece of fish for me cuz i don't eat meat!).

I have been really craving nuts lately and they are honestly my down fall.

today I skiied all day and I get SO hungry when I do. I usually indulge in chips/salsa and whatever other crap we have at the end of the day (with my wine of course!) .. .

Marianne;

Least you're trying, and that's 90% of the battle.

Dan John summed it up pretty good when talking about the V-Diet. It's a 28 day battle and you must stayed focused on that battle, period. Family, friends, work, dogs, sailing, skiing, etc do not come first, but rather the V-diet for 28 days comes first, period, end of story.

Now I know, some might think that is extreme, well, NO SH-T, it is EXTREME. Chances are the person that is on this diet is FAT and has been FAT and has not lost weight via other programs, so now it's time to declare war on the FAT. It's not for everyone, in fact, most fail, but those that do make it, feel stronger (least mentality), then return to a more healthy eating style(hopefully).

So, what's this got to do with your post, well Ms. Marianne, you need to plan better. You really need to think about what your next day eating is going to be like, THE NIGHT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a business meeting, or sporting event, you either eat before, or more on point, bring your own food. Don't tell me you can't do that, just mention, you have a food allergy or must eat certain foods. Done, don't need to explain any further. Open up your little fancy lunch pail and eat your own foods, which in most cases people will say "that looks good, wish I would have thought to bring some healthier food like that"

I have a friend that has Celiac disease, so no Gluten for her, and she has no problem passing up the pasta and bread made with junk white flour, but rather when the mood strikes, makes her own bread using potato, rice flours and a host of other gluten free products.

As to nuts, if they're your downfall, don't keep them in the house, or buy very small amounts. You probably are craving more fat vs the salt.

Bottom line, how bad, how really, really bad do you want to lose weight, get stronger, become a lean mean fighting machine????????????

Willing to be talked about, maybe lose a so called friend or too, go to bed earlier, maybe miss up a few social functions, yada yada yada.

Look at anyone that is at the top of their game, and you'll see someone that lives the 3 D's.

Discipline
Determination
Dedication

Everyone wants to go to Heaven, No one wants to Die.

Have a great Sunday.

Amber Mathwig 03-22-2009 06:41 AM

Jesse - Actually, going paleo is a heck of a lot easier than zoning. For the reasons Brian and Joe stated.

Jay, as usual, makes sense. The long post must be compliments of the beef heart???

Despite last night's ice cream (3/4 cup, maybe?), today was the first time I saw a significant drop on the scale (yes, I do still weigh myself occasionally, I have no choice since I hover around the Navy's max weight for my height). Maybe I need to read through the whole Breyer's thread to see what this is all about. :p Regardless, I am NOT going to eat sweets today. Beautiful sunshiny day in Baghdad, AND I just managed to plan my own going away party - turns out there is an Iraqi BBQ restaurant available!

I just hope it's not wild dog. :eek: