CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Carla Tremblay 03-20-2009 08:26 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 546194)
Ooh, Carla, I'm so jealous. I miss SD SO MUCH right now. Hmm, if you are on a business trip you really need to hit up a place called The Linkery in North Park. I know there are a couple people on the boards who would agree with me on this one. Glad I could inspire you!

OMG. I just checked out their menu. It looks fantastic! Thanks for passing that along. I will definitely be checking it out when I go. If you have any other suggestions please let me know! I've never been and I'm pretty excited. I already have 3 SD affiliates that I will be checking out while I'm there! :)

Amber Mathwig 03-20-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla Tremblay (Post 546209)
OMG. I just checked out their menu. It looks fantastic! Thanks for passing that along. I will definitely be checking it out when I go. If you have any other suggestions please let me know! I've never been and I'm pretty excited. I already have 3 SD affiliates that I will be checking out while I'm there! :)

LOL, well that depends? How do you feel about hole in the wall bars? :D There is another awesome sustainable restaurant downtown called J-Six (it's on the corner of 6th and J St). My knowledge of SD cuisine goes only as far as my checking account did. Of course the affiliates.....um, a one-day pass to Balboa Park and all the museums there.

I'll be in San Antonio in May, I'll be sure to send you message closer to then.

Carla Tremblay 03-20-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 546226)
LOL, well that depends? How do you feel about hole in the wall bars? :D There is another awesome sustainable restaurant downtown called J-Six (it's on the corner of 6th and J St). My knowledge of SD cuisine goes only as far as my checking account did. Of course the affiliates.....um, a one-day pass to Balboa Park and all the museums there.

I'll be in San Antonio in May, I'll be sure to send you message closer to then.

Yes, let me know when you are in SA! Thanks for the additional suggestions too. Most of my nights are booked with work events but I'll have a couple on my own.

Steven Matheson 03-20-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 546194)
...you really need to hit up a place called The Linkery in North Park. I know there are a couple people on the boards who would agree with me on this one.

Add one more recommendation from someone you don't know. I love SD.

Amber Mathwig 03-21-2009 03:30 AM

I've been planning to go to the Linkery upon my return to stateside for like 3 months now....cause it's the same weekend as my birthday! 21 days folks!

I will not eat desserts today. I did not yesterday either, although I ate WAY to many hardboiled eggs and chicken wings. I have not been eating peanut butter either.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Michael Ricketts 03-21-2009 06:07 AM

21 days? Your gettin short Amber!

I did ok today, not great but I had some breaded chicken and I am kinda regretting it.

Mat Frankel 03-21-2009 11:20 AM

Cheated a lot yesterday...homemade cookies are a big weakness. Back on it today though. Great workout this morning and CFE session this afternoon, I feel good.

Jesse Short 03-21-2009 01:18 PM

Since I stopped growing at 18 (6' 0") I have been a very consistent, very scrawny 153 lbs, never more, never less. My military father had me on weight gain at age 12. Didn't do a damn thing. Anyways, to make a long story short I dabbled in CF 6 months ago and decided to head to the gym full time starting in mid February. So far its been great.

That being said, I have the worst diet of all time. I have always eaten whatever I like because I have the fastest metabolism ever (And probably a 26 year old tapeworm). As such I have never watched what I eat and I don't think I've had green vegetables since I was 3 or 4. My eating has consisted of fast food, and tons of grains. Over the past couple of years (and different girlfriends begging) I've started eating green and red peppers and some stir fry. Anyways, I recently decided and after much poking around on the forums and google that I want to do some form of the Paleo/Zone diet. I think I'm going to start with Zone and slowly but surely switch to a Paleo lifestyle. I actually don't have to worry about giving up sugar, but the grains is going to be tough. I'm going to Vegas for the first time this coming weeekend, so I am going to get started when I get back.

Anyways, I have loved all the improvements to my life since starting CF (mentally and physically) and appreciate all the support I've gotten from everyone. I'm sure it will be the same with trying to actually eat green vegetables! :pepper:

Tom Gerhard 03-21-2009 01:29 PM

Vegas, baby!! Dessert with every meal!

Welcome, Jesse! :welcome:

Like you, the only veggies I ever liked had to be fried. Knowing I had to make an eating/lifestyle change, I tried different ways of preparing them.

My current favorite: steamed carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower drizzled with a little dill butter. Yummy!

Jesse Short 03-21-2009 01:49 PM

My entire life my definition of vegetables has been potatoes, black beans, and rice. Not even joking. I don't even eat lettuce. I eat all sandwiches and burgers plain with just meat and cheese. I convinced my parents about 15 years ago that I was a "supertaster" and as such couldn't stomach bitter green vegetables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster
(For some reason, I still like beer though.)

I'm going to spend this coming week researching a week's worth of paleo/zone meals that my stomach will be able to handle. Once I get used to keeping track of what I eat, I'm going to work in the greens.