CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Peter Brzezinka 02-28-2009 05:50 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel Canning (Post 529557)
I do want to mention that from what I have read in the CrossFit journal and have heard Coach Glassman say is that upping your fat intake will not necessarily stunt your goal of leaning out. It sounds like you have a good handle on the Zone, but like I said each person reacts differently. :)

Best of luck to you this week Peter. Keep us posted!

Wow fast reply! Tahnks for the support, I'll let you know how it goes. Wohoo hickory smoked macadamias x2 then possibly! :)

Marianne Urbanski 03-01-2009 06:53 AM

I have a couple of questions for you guys... I just watched the video in the journal by Rachel Glassman about maximizing performance and the importance of weighing and measuring your food. I think this makes sense and I have to admit I have been really bad at this. I also am not really careful to get protein/carb/fat (all together) every time I eat. Finally, because I don't eat meat, I definitely haven't been getting enough protien..

So... my questions are:
1) who weighs/measures things and if you do, is the weight before or after cooking. (do you measure your broccolli and things like that too?)
2)Any ideas for extra protein for someone who doesn't eat meat and I am "on the road" a lot. (I do eat a little fish, and I probably should do more, but I can't stomach "fish in a can"...)
3) does anyone have any thoughts on 'bars"... like "zone bars"? they seem high in sugar, but they are really good to take on the road
4)I am supposed to have 11 (possibly 12?) blocks a day, but with that amount of food I still get really hungry.. I have been adding veggies like cucumber, celery and stuff like that, but after listening to the video and reading some stuff in the journal, possibly I need to add fat and/or protein? Any ideas???

thanks all.. I find this thread really helpful!!

Brian Bedell 03-01-2009 08:10 AM

1. I "eye ball" zone mostly, but I do measure my protein about half the time; if for no other reason then to save money by avoiding eating too much. But I have some experience with how much food is what, etc. I measure before cooking. I measure a cup of all veggies as one block.
2. When on the road, probably best to prepare your meals the day before and bring with you. But, it is very ez to drink milk when on the road. It's at every convenience store/gas station. A quart of milk is a great meal replacement, imo.
3. stay away from bars, in general. Yep, its the sugar...even the zone.
4. Hunger is not really a great gauge of if your diet is working. What about your weight loss and/or performance goals? Everyone here is hungry!

Renee Lee 03-01-2009 08:38 AM

whyyyyyyyyyyyy do i keep going back to grains to "indulge?" i KNOW they make me feel like crap the day after i eat a significant portion of them, i KNOW my energy/performance completely tanks...

yet i STILL convince myself, "it's your birthday, have some lobster ravioli"

MORON!

:wallbash: ugh...i hate grains

/rant

Samantha Aurelio 03-01-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee Lee (Post 529793)
whyyyyyyyyyyyy do i keep going back to grains to "indulge?" i KNOW they make me feel like crap the day after i eat a significant portion of them, i KNOW my energy/performance completely tanks...

yet i STILL convince myself, "it's your birthday, have some lobster ravioli"

MORON!

:wallbash: ugh...i hate grains

/rant

It's okay to indulge every now and then. I mean, if it makes you sick maybe not but try not to beat yourself up! (And Happy Birthday!)
Yesterday I had a slice of cheesecake factory cheesecake that my grandma got for me for when I feel better (I had the flu last week) and it was so sad how much my body cannot take dairy or sugar -- never mind them all together. sad reality. no more dairy or sugar for me!

Murray Birch 03-01-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski (Post 529762)
I have a couple of questions for you guys... I just watched the video in the journal by Rachel Glassman about maximizing performance and the importance of weighing and measuring your food. I think this makes sense and I have to admit I have been really bad at this. I also am not really careful to get protein/carb/fat (all together) every time I eat. Finally, because I don't eat meat, I definitely haven't been getting enough protien..

So... my questions are:
1) who weighs/measures things and if you do, is the weight before or after cooking. (do you measure your broccolli and things like that too?)
2)Any ideas for extra protein for someone who doesn't eat meat and I am "on the road" a lot. (I do eat a little fish, and I probably should do more, but I can't stomach "fish in a can"...)
3) does anyone have any thoughts on 'bars"... like "zone bars"? they seem high in sugar, but they are really good to take on the road
4)I am supposed to have 11 (possibly 12?) blocks a day, but with that amount of food I still get really hungry.. I have been adding veggies like cucumber, celery and stuff like that, but after listening to the video and reading some stuff in the journal, possibly I need to add fat and/or protein? Any ideas???

thanks all.. I find this thread really helpful!!

Marianne, I have found Zone bars to be helpful in a pinch. Obviously if you have a whole food option, that would be better, but if it's good enough for Greg Amundson, it's good enough for me.

Protein and fat are very satiating, so if you get those in at every meal, that should help with the hunger. 42 Ways to Skin the Zone (safe, $2.50) is an excellent resource from Robb Wolf, and for that matter his blog (safe) would be great as well.

Amber Mathwig 03-01-2009 09:09 AM

Marianne -
1) I weigh a few proteins/nuts a week just to keep myself reminded on what a portion size really should look like. I eyeball 2 cups of most veggies as 1 block.
2) I forget - why don't you eat meat again?
3) There are some bars, I forget the name, whose base starts with coconut oil and nut butters. They are grain free and delicious. I found them at whole foods (note, they do need to stay somewhat cool)
4) I would have to eat a TON of cucumber and celery to feel filled up. Try different veggies.

Renee - On the bright side, you now have this as a reminder to why you gave up grains....easier to say no the next time.

Julie Parisien 03-01-2009 01:57 PM

It is nice to read results from the paleo/zone diet. I've been doing paleo for 2 months with cheat days only occuring recently (last weekend was a doozy in terms of stress...and knocked me off my good train) and I still have not seen any results. I feel good, I have good energy and I have been hitting some PR's. But the scale will not budge - and it's not from continuing to put on muscle bc I have a lot of those already! I am getting frustrated and starting to tell myself that its the performance and energy that counts instead of the scale/mirror. I must have over 30% BF. The sh*& just won't budge. At what point should I give up on losing the BF if performance standards are being met, and I feel dang good? Can I be a good crossfitter with 30% fat?

Amber Mathwig 03-01-2009 06:04 PM

Julie - I was looking at Caity Matter's athlete profile today, and she is 5'9" and 165lbs, which is about 5lbs below my normal weight (same height). At that weight, I am about 27% BF, so your question kinda makes me wonder what her BF% is....but at the same time it doesn't matter because she is kicking ***! I definitly know how you feel about performance and energy vs. scale/mirror. I'm happy to have found a way to be healthy.....still would like to buy smaller clothes that shows off my hard earned physique :D Keep focusing on the positives.

Samantha Aurelio 03-01-2009 07:38 PM

Amber! I feel the need to pick your brain since you seem to be so into all of this! Okay. I am 19yrs old, 5' tall, ~119/120 lbs, ~22(?)% BF. My diet consists of paleo friendly foods. Generally I eat eggs and fruit and dark veggies and seafood (I was a vegetarian for 3.5 years and started eating fish in October when I started XFitting. Also I work out on a 3on/1off rate. I have been cheating a little too much food wise as of late. I am a sucker for dark chocolate and nut butters. I know that needs to be cut. I cannot possibly eat sugar or dairy as a cheat any more because I may die. My body cannot take it any longer. And yeah.
Basically. I'm trying to lean out. Would you have any suggestions? I was on zone/paleo at 10 blocks in November and was a solid 113 lbs. I would love to be 113 lbs again. Any suggestions from your end? You seem so knowledgeable I just was looking for your advice :) Thanks so much!!