CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wed July 2 WOD (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33859)

Chris Puckett 07-02-2008 08:59 AM

Wed July 2 WOD

I have heard this WOD today is hard on the hands. I have a skin tear on my palm from a kettlebell session Monday night, and I am wondering if I should skip. But a big part of me wants to do this WOD. I can tape, but even that can prove harmful.

My question, if any of you have done this WOD today, where did it affect your hands. I have heard things about grip strength today. Does this specifically affect the callous pad immediately below the fingers, on the palm?

Thanks.

Jeff Yan 07-02-2008 10:00 AM

Re: Wed July 2 WOD

Chris
I've been able to do some light duty barbell WODs when I had torn calluses. (I'm not saying that this particular WOD could be considered 'light' work.) For protection I taped a folded up square of gauze over them.

Additionally, you might also want to consider taping around your thumbs for chafe protection on the hang power cleans.

Since you have open wounds on your hands, some people might consider it excusable if you were to wear gloves this time. The ensuing mockery and derision can be a great motivator to get a killer time.

Graham Webb 07-02-2008 10:03 AM

Hi Chris, How bad is the tear on your hand? I've had to deal with those before, I found success when I cut the torn piece of skin off, put a bandaid w/ a little vasaline on the tear then taped my hand. I used chalk and rubbed it over the tap, I didn't have any pain/discomfort.
Whenever I'm doing any type of power exercises (i.e- deadlifts,cleans etc) I make sure I chalk up my hands. I just did todays workout as rx'd and my hands were fine.
I hope this helps

Shane Skowron 07-02-2008 10:32 AM

If you tape, make sure to tape vertically (parallel to your fingers), otherwise the tape will just roll off and make things worse.

Chris Puckett 07-02-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Webb (Post 341892)
Hi Chris, How bad is the tear on your hand? I've had to deal with those before, I found success when I cut the torn piece of skin off, put a bandaid w/ a little vasaline on the tear then taped my hand. I used chalk and rubbed it over the tap, I didn't have any pain/discomfort.
Whenever I'm doing any type of power exercises (i.e- deadlifts,cleans etc) I make sure I chalk up my hands. I just did todays workout as rx'd and my hands were fine.
I hope this helps

the tear is a half inch circle right off the center of the palm. I was going to try the vertical taping, it seemed to work well last night with the press stuff.

Anthony Dubis 07-02-2008 04:43 PM

I empathize! I work 4 days behind the posted WOD's (so I can schedule sports and such that wont lead to overdoing it) and torn a nice callous mid pinky when doing squat cleans yesterday. I did the BW bench and max pullups today (Lynne) by putting a band-aid over it and then taping around that section of the finger. Didn't feel a thing, though I'm hoping it's healed by the time I do today's WOD...anyway, just thought I would toss up the band-aid under the tape idea, though the gauze mentioned above may work even better.

Hope it heals soon for you.

George Mounce 07-02-2008 06:20 PM

Chalk - had no hand problems at all with the WOD. Of course my hands are all calluses at this point.

Bryan Reece Coburn 07-02-2008 06:51 PM

I chalked up a lot during this workout and had no tears to already jacked up hands!! and it was an awesome workout i would not skip it if possible!!!

Anthony Dubis 07-04-2008 06:08 AM

Bryan, I agree. This workout comes up tomorrow for me and I will tape up my whole ***king hand if that's what it takes to give this a try.

Leonid Soubbotine 07-04-2008 08:53 AM

No rips at all. Kept hands dry and chalked up. Inner side of the thumb got a little tender but held up.
However scaling up to 150 lbs was a really bad idea. But I was sleepy and didn't realize what I was doing till the middle of the first round.