CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Squats (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67098)

Matt J Negline 05-11-2011 09:37 PM

Squats

My squat is pretty pathetic at the moment. Im lucky to get past 90 unless I really squeeze it and feels unstable.

To remedy this Im trying to hang out in a free squat (on my back) for about 10 minutes a day.
Im also doing basic quad and hamstring stretches before and after wods. Im happy to say that my fingers finally reached my toes the other day lol

Has anyone got any solid advice to make my squat depth a little easier. 145Lb isnt a drama for me but Im desperate for depth.

Adam Carlson 05-11-2011 10:16 PM

Re: Squats

video yourself squatting and post it to the boards.

Squat more ;)

Jon Campbell 05-12-2011 06:45 PM

I started doing lots of mobility (mobilitywod.com has been a life saver, Kelly is the man)work combined with squating light and working on going deep and keeping form. Has really helped me. I still have work to do but I am light years ahead of where I was just a few months ago.

Veronica Carpenter 05-13-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Campbell (Post 936063)
I started doing lots of mobility (mobilitywod.com has been a life saver, Kelly is the man)work combined with squating light and working on going deep and keeping form. Has really helped me. I still have work to do but I am light years ahead of where I was just a few months ago.

You're on track then. Take a look at Dan John's squat vid (wfs):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1301858251744#

Michael Gray 05-25-2011 07:33 AM

I've found that doing squats very slowly (about 45 seconds per) helps me a lot. I also do variations on foot position (toes in or out) as it works different leg muscles.

I always do free weights as it forces you to keep your balance. Balancing muscles are important. They keep you from falling down in the winter (lol).

Shane Skowron 05-25-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gray (Post 940362)
I've found that doing squats very slowly (about 45 seconds per) helps me a lot. I also do variations on foot position (toes in or out) as it works different leg muscles.

I always do free weights as it forces you to keep your balance. Balancing muscles are important. They keep you from falling down in the winter (lol).

I'm going to question the usefulness of a 45 second squat.

Scott Kraatz 05-25-2011 08:11 AM

Like Coach G says: Just Squat.

Practice practice practice.

Mine was pretty lousy when I first started but I just kept doing them in any free time I had. I also did Kelly Starrett's (sp) hip mobility from the Journal, check it out, helped me a lot.

Also, spend time resting in a full squat (hands on wall or something to keep your balance at first).

Good luck and SQUAT,

Scott

Michael Gray 05-25-2011 06:47 PM

OK... I'm not always conventional. lol

If you do an explosive squat (which definitely has its uses), you start the momentum at the beginning, then just follow the weight through the motion.

Doing any exercise very slowly requires strength throughout the entire range of motion. It's much more difficult and balance can become an issue.

Try it, but cut your weight down about half. See how many reps you can get without losing form.

Richard Allen Pagel 05-25-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gray (Post 940669)
OK... I'm not always conventional. lol

If you do an explosive squat (which definitely has its uses), you start the momentum at the beginning, then just follow the weight through the motion.

Mr. Gray, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Adam Carlson 05-26-2011 04:48 AM

Richard - a bit harsh in the response, I think, especially since you didn't talk specifically why you don't think that slow squats would benefit anyone.

While I may not agree with doing slow squats since that would not benefit my training, at least Michael gave his reasons why he likes them and uses them. I think that if you are going to dismiss his ideas, a less aggressively phrased explanation of why you don't agree with him might be better.