CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bee pollen (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71336)

Andrew Breyer 11-07-2011 03:47 AM

Bee pollen

Hello,

I am studying abroad in Greece, and at my local affiliate I got to talking with a member about bee pollen.

Supposedly the bee's in Athens collect excellent pollen, and as a nutritional supplement they are some sort of a "super food."

I have been searching around Google, and while I have seen pages that agree with this, it seems like everything I come across is written by someone trying to sell it.

Does anyone have experience taking bee pollen as a supplement? It's been sited to help everything from fat loss to memory to energy levels. I'm curious if anyone can support this first hand.

Wayne Riddle 11-07-2011 07:46 AM

Re: Bee pollen

If something sounds too good to be true then it probably doesn't live up to the claims.

Bee pollen has some benefits, not near as much as being pushed. Play with it and see how it works for you. I tried it for a couple of months and didn't notice any differences.

Ivan Wolfe 11-09-2011 02:37 PM

I've used Bee Pollen - but not for superfood benefits. I find that if I start consuming locally harvested bee pollen before and during allergy season, my allergies go way down (though they don't vanish).

Katherine Derbyshire 11-09-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe (Post 1003525)
I've used Bee Pollen - but not for superfood benefits. I find that if I start consuming locally harvested bee pollen before and during allergy season, my allergies go way down (though they don't vanish).

Just curious. Do you see the same benefits from local honey, or does it need to be concentrated pollen?

Katherine

Ivan Wolfe 11-09-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 1003544)
Just curious. Do you see the same benefits from local honey, or does it need to be concentrated pollen?

Katherine

I don't find the same results - but I consume honey is such small amounts (whereas I tend to consume more bee pollen) I might see the same benefits. But then I'd bee (hah, hah) taking in a lot more sugar than I would like.

Gene Pires 11-12-2011 08:11 AM

so the pollen is taken out of honey before put into the little bear bottles?

Someone was telling me that the chineese where extracting the pollen from their honey before shipping. This makes it untraceable and it can be sold as "made in usa" or wherever the country that is importing it. From what I understand, they are trying to hide the pesticide and other contaminates they use.

But this thread makes it sound like north america made honey has no pollen also. Why take the pollen out?

Katherine Derbyshire 11-12-2011 10:40 PM

Pollen makes the honey look cloudy, so more commercial brands tend to filter it out. (Even aside from the import issue.) Farmer's market honey, or honey sold as unfiltered, should have it.

Katherine

Todd R Bailey 11-14-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Pires (Post 1004294)
so the pollen is taken out of honey before put into the little bear bottles?

Someone was telling me that the chineese where extracting the pollen from their honey before shipping. This makes it untraceable and it can be sold as "made in usa" or wherever the country that is importing it. From what I understand, they are trying to hide the pesticide and other contaminates they use.

But this thread makes it sound like north america made honey has no pollen also. Why take the pollen out?

Someone sent me this link that talks about this issue a bit.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/1...ey-isnt-honey/ (WFS)

I have no idea how reliable this info/website is, but I thought it was an interesting article.

Ivan Wolfe 11-14-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 1004425)
Pollen makes the honey look cloudy, so more commercial brands tend to filter it out. (Even aside from the import issue.) Farmer's market honey, or honey sold as unfiltered, should have it.

Katherine

When I get honey, I only buy the unfiltered stuff - either from farmer's markets, or the same store I buy my local bee pollen.

Blair Robert Lowe 11-16-2011 06:59 AM

I used to take Bee Pollen amongst other things such as Royal Jelly. Quite honestly in hindsight I don't think it did jack but in supplement form enough probably isn't taken as well.