CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   wait wut? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=58466)

James Rios 05-25-2010 10:24 PM

wait wut?

forgive me if this is has been discussed already, but i usually stay pretty up to date on what is going on in crossfit and am confused by what i just saw.

just saw Tommy Hackenbruck competing in the affiliate cup at his regionals... does this mean he isnt competing in the LA this year?

Katherine Derbyshire 05-25-2010 11:05 PM

Re: wait wut?

I think several well-known firebreathers were on their various affiliate teams. Remember that the top five from last year already have spots at the Games, without having to go through the Sectionals and Regionals. Affiliate teams, meanwhile, *do* have to qualify. Firebreather who doesn't have to compete as an individual + affiliate team needing a good result to advance = Hackenbruck (and others) on affiliate teams.

Katherine

Scott Stevens 05-26-2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 788826)
Firebreather who doesn't have to compete as an individual + affiliate team needing a good result to advance = Hackenbruck (and others) on affiliate teams.

Katherine

I think I read that Tanya Wagener wasn't going to compete as an individual this year?

Does the qualifying regional affiliate team not have to be the same people as who shows up in LA?

Leonid Soubbotine 05-26-2010 08:55 AM

Scott - yeah. This way if some folks won't make through individual competition but they have an affiliate team going to the games - they can swap members of the team. Pretty neat system actually to have the best athletes in Cali.

Walker Fenz 05-26-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine (Post 789008)
Scott - yeah. This way if some folks won't make through individual competition but they have an affiliate team going to the games - they can swap members of the team. Pretty neat system actually to have the best athletes in Cali.

Forgive me, I may be slow...are you guys saying that an affiliate team that qualifies for the Games...can send different affiliate members for the Games competition?

Katherine Derbyshire 05-26-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walker Fenz (Post 789058)
Forgive me, I may be slow...are you guys saying that an affiliate team that qualifies for the Games...can send different affiliate members for the Games competition?

I think the affiliate roster is fixed. However, the roster is six people, but only four are competing at any given time. (There might also be some leeway for subs due to injuries, other commitments, etc.) Theoretically, at least, you could use Tommy Hackenbruck in the Regionals and someone else in the Games. It would be tough to have a teammate doing double duty in the individual competition, but having that person on the team might be the difference between qualifying and not. :shrug: Ya do what ya gotta do.

Katherine

Renee Lee 05-26-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 789071)
I think the affiliate roster is fixed. However, the roster is six people, but only four are competing at any given time. (There might also be some leeway for subs due to injuries, other commitments, etc.) Theoretically, at least, you could use Tommy Hackenbruck in the Regionals and someone else in the Games. It would be tough to have a teammate doing double duty in the individual competition, but having that person on the team might be the difference between qualifying and not. :shrug: Ya do what ya gotta do.

Katherine

the 6 people you registered with at regionals are not automatically the roster for the games. you can change a few athletes or all of them if you want.

Walker Fenz 05-26-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee Lee (Post 789105)
the 6 people you registered with at regionals are not automatically the roster for the games. you can change a few athletes or all of them if you want.

So it seems that people could compete in the Games (on an affiliate team) without ever having to qualify to get there...? Kinda nuts...Then again, should you compete in Games and win, i supose it doesn't matter how or what you did (or did not do?) to get there. Still have to compete!

lol, i'd hate to be the guy who subs in for hackenbruck or the like, tough shoes to fill.

Aaron Lengel 05-27-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine (Post 789008)
Scott - Pretty neat system actually to have the best athletes in Cali.

It seems like this would keep better athletes from making it. If the team couldn't make it without Tommy and had to sub a lesser athlete, this would actually allow for a watered down competition at the games... or for your team to get smoked. Cool for that team though!

Leonid Soubbotine 05-27-2010 04:59 AM

Aaron - in this case - you're right. But there's many other great CF'ers who might not qualify through Individual (Ricky Frausto, Dave Lipson, Pat Barber etc) who's gym's team might be going. And those guys can jump into the team between the Regionals & the Games to make the teams stronger.