CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help: Lead up to crossfit comp. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81507)

Damian Garozzo 04-14-2013 11:35 PM

Help: Lead up to crossfit comp.
 
Hi guys,

My name is Damian, I'm 25yrs old, 65kg, 180cm... (don't know if its relevant, but I assume all info helps!)

I'm partaking in a local crossfit comp in 4 days, and have had a week off due to the flu.

I'm still not 100%, but I'm keen to get back into the gym to train for the event so I can register the best time possible!!

The WOD is:

7min amrap.:

7 pull ups
7 toes to bar
7 push ups
7 air squats



I want to be able to program this next 4 days smartly, so what do you suggest I focus my time on?
(knowing full well that I cannot perform a miracle in that time..)

My weakness is definately upper body strength; (Pull Ups: 5-7 rep max.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Damian

Matthew Swartz 04-15-2013 06:35 AM

Re: Help: Lead up to crossfit comp.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Garozzo (Post 1158175)
Hi guys,

My name is Damian, I'm 25yrs old, 65kg, 180cm... (don't know if its relevant, but I assume all info helps!)

I'm partaking in a local crossfit comp in 4 days, and have had a week off due to the flu.

I'm still not 100%, but I'm keen to get back into the gym to train for the event so I can register the best time possible!!

The WOD is:

7min amrap.:

7 pull ups
7 toes to bar
7 push ups
7 air squats



I want to be able to program this next 4 days smartly, so what do you suggest I focus my time on?
(knowing full well that I cannot perform a miracle in that time..)

My weakness is definately upper body strength; (Pull Ups: 5-7 rep max.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Damian

If your comp is 4 days away, stay away from stuff that is going to smoke parts of your body. Thus, high rep squats, high rep pull ups, high rep.. anything..

You're not going to add any strength the next 4 days. I suggest skill work you're not good at mixed into metcons that will give you a good lung workout to prep for competition nerves.

Scott Jenkins 04-15-2013 06:52 AM

Re: Help: Lead up to crossfit comp.
 
This is a qualifier workout for The French Throwdown, everyone has until Saturday afternoon to complete it in the same format as the open.

You do not have time to improve your pull up/toes to bar capacity Damian but you do have time to practice a more efficient or faster kip for both, just make sure you do not kill your arms too much learning that come your attempt at the workout you are spent. Im competing also so hope to see you there in June Damian.

Damian Garozzo 04-15-2013 07:51 AM

Re: Help: Lead up to crossfit comp.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins (Post 1158226)
This is a qualifier workout for The French Throwdown, everyone has until Saturday afternoon to complete it in the same format as the open.

You do not have time to improve your pull up/toes to bar capacity Damian but you do have time to practice a more efficient or faster kip for both, just make sure you do not kill your arms too much learning that come your attempt at the workout you are spent. Im competing also so hope to see you there in June Damian.

Wow thanks Scott, great advice
Yes it is indeed for French Throwdown, and damn I wish I didn't have to take off the whole week last week sick so I wouldn't find myself in this situation!! :(
Looking forward to it.. And thanks again for the great advice.

Damian Garozzo 04-15-2013 07:52 AM

Re: Help: Lead up to crossfit comp.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz (Post 1158220)
If your comp is 4 days away, stay away from stuff that is going to smoke parts of your body. Thus, high rep squats, high rep pull ups, high rep.. anything..

You're not going to add any strength the next 4 days. I suggest skill work you're not good at mixed into metcons that will give you a good lung workout to prep for competition nerves.

Great, I'm glad to hear because I was scared of smoking out my limbs before the day!!
Thanks for the sound advice!
Damian

Michael Cook 04-15-2013 04:49 PM

Re: Help: Lead up to crossfit comp.
 
I agree. You can try to improve your kipping technique in the pull ups and t2b. Also, you can work on improving your transitions from one movement to the next. Have that planned out so you can go from one movement to the next as quickly as possible. Finally, you can figure out a pace that will work best for you.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.