CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739)

Shane Skowron 09-02-2009 08:56 PM

Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0

1 Attachment(s)
After 11 months, it is time for a newer version of the Comprehensive Bodyweight Workout List. It's not drastically different than the previous one. But it's in a more attractive format, I've added a few workouts, some suggestions, tips, and tidbits which might be useful for people who go long periods without equipment.

Here is the table of contents:

(a) Classic CrossFit benchmarks....2
(b) Metcons, no equipment required....3
(c) Metcons, pullup bar required....6
(d) Metcons, rings and pullup bar required....10
(e) Metcons, jump rope, bar, and rings required....13
(f) Skills and strength work with bodyweight....14
(g) Running workouts....15
(h) Endurance challenges....17
(i) Scaling suggestions....20
(j) List of possible bodyweight exercises....21
(k) Credits and links to more resources....23

I'll post separate PDFs for the various sections later after I get some feedback and see if anyone finds mistakes or has suggestions. I'm looking for ideas to make this better, so please post them.

The document is work/family safe. There are links at the end of the document, though they may or may not be wfs.

Norman Tasfi 09-02-2009 10:19 PM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0

amazing job! Thank you again!!

Christopher Delgado 09-02-2009 11:02 PM

Shane,

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate you taking the time to do this and provide it to the community.

Jon Clingenpeel 09-03-2009 03:06 AM

Awesome job man, thanks a million

Pedro Nabais 09-03-2009 03:45 AM

October Breeze?! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Joshua Murphy 09-03-2009 06:29 AM

Awesome Shane! Thanks for updating it!

Travis Hall 09-03-2009 06:29 PM

Cheers, Mate. Good job.

Ramsey Abdulrahim 09-03-2009 08:43 PM

great job! Thanks!

Kevin Wood 09-04-2009 04:06 AM

I like that you added the recommendation for gloves for the burpee mile!

Stan Wildes 09-04-2009 07:15 AM

Awesome Job Shane. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

John Harris 09-04-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Wildes (Post 657950)
Awesome Job Shane. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

+1 what he said.

Fränk Klein 09-08-2009 03:02 AM

Thanks a lot for putting this list together. I don't have the time or the money to go to a gym, so I'm doing lots of bodyweight and running. Having a nice list with workouts to choose from comes in very handy.

Thanks!

Ed Walto 09-08-2009 03:25 AM

Thanks. I use these all of the time.

Lee Hoy 09-08-2009 01:17 PM

Shane,

Thanks so much, I have shared this with several folks who work out with me at home, but need something for when they go on vacation or work trips.

Lee

Carter Jee 09-08-2009 06:10 PM

thanks shane!!!...

its a great travel resource!!!

like the new avatar btw!! pistol whilst playing with a weight plate...

Mods,

any chance of stickying this thread or combining this thread with the v1.0 thread??

carter

Chris Hench 09-08-2009 06:27 PM

thanks man, been waiting for 2.0!

Joe C Thomas 09-09-2009 06:31 AM

Only a man that does weighted pistols could have put this list together! Gracias bro.

Randy Barnett 09-09-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Skowron (Post 657051)
After 11 months, it is time for a newer version of the Comprehensive Bodyweight Workout List. It's not drastically different than the previous one. But it's in a more attractive format, I've added a few workouts, some suggestions, tips, and tidbits which might be useful for people who go long periods without equipment.

Here is the table of contents:

(a) Classic CrossFit benchmarks....2
(b) Metcons, no equipment required....3
(c) Metcons, pullup bar required....6
(d) Metcons, rings and pullup bar required....10
(e) Metcons, jump rope, bar, and rings required....13
(f) Skills and strength work with bodyweight....14
(g) Running workouts....15
(h) Endurance challenges....17
(i) Scaling suggestions....20
(j) List of possible bodyweight exercises....21
(k) Credits and links to more resources....23

I'll post separate PDFs for the various sections later after I get some feedback and see if anyone finds mistakes or has suggestions. I'm looking for ideas to make this better, so please post them.

The document is work/family safe. There are links at the end of the document, though they may or may not be wfs.

Thanks for the info man. Great resource

Stephen Tomilson 09-12-2009 06:47 PM

this is just plain awesome, especially considering i'm stuck in a hotel that only has bikes and treadmills. much appreciated, shane!

Michael Maurice 09-15-2009 08:20 AM

Great job!!!!

Sal Ocampo 09-21-2009 09:24 PM

Because many times the only equipment avaliable is a pull up bar and room to run, I've been using your bodyweight workout resource v1 to train my Marines for quite sometime. I'm going to use your v2 for tomorrows workout. Thank you!

Craig Howard 09-23-2009 11:07 AM

Terrific resource. Thank you sir!

Troy Britton-Coe 09-27-2009 10:47 AM

This should be in every crossfitter's inventory!

Willie Bossie 10-05-2009 08:51 PM

Thanks for the wonderful updat of this..i have a copy in my workout book.. thanks a million

Jonathan Slater 10-09-2009 09:00 AM

Man, that is awesome. I'll be using this whenever a WOD that I don't have the gear for comes up.

Matt D. Thompson 10-11-2009 12:29 PM

How are you guys using this? Are you just picking one randomly when needed, or using it to focus on something in particular?

I would like to use this to pull from for my daily workouts since I currently don't have the money to buy equipment or go to an affiliate.

What would be the best way to go about doing that?

Shane Skowron 10-11-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D. Thompson (Post 678269)
How are you guys using this? Are you just picking one randomly when needed, or using it to focus on something in particular?

I would like to use this to pull from for my daily workouts since I currently don't have the money to buy equipment or go to an affiliate.

What would be the best way to go about doing that?

Well fortunately I have access to equipment and I own some, so I don't have to rely on this that much.

But if I didn't have anything, I would make sure to maintain the constantly varied part of CrossFit. It's tough to do when all you're doing is bodyweight WODs, but it's certainly possible.

It's very easy to take my list and pick random WODs and come up with really bad programming.

Consider these two splits:

Mon: Cindy
Tue: Angie
Wed: Death by Pullups
Thur: Rest
Fri: 150 burpees
Sat: Ryan
Sun: Murph

Mon: Run 10k
Tue: Cindy
Wed: Jumping pistols 5x5 (each leg)
Thur: Rest
Fri: Annie
Sat: 30 muscle-ups
Sun: 6-10x 100m sprints with full recoveries

See the difference?

In the first split, all you're doing is long metcons, way too many pullups and pushups. Not enough strength, not enough speed, not enough recovery. The WODs are all mostly oxidative in the range of 15-40 minutes. They're all great WODs, but in that setup, they're not.

In the second split, you've got a strength workout (pistols), a speed/power workout (sprints), a monostructural endurance (10k), strength endurance (30 MU), and work capacity (Annie and Cindy). The times range from 10-20 seconds in the case of the sprints and up to 40-60 minutes in the case of 10k run. You may be workout similar muscle groups back to back, but you're still giving them enough time to recover. In my opinion, that's a much better split for overall Crossfit-defined fitness.

So I wouldn't recommend picking WODs randomly, but giving consideration to the above.

Mike Romo 10-11-2009 07:02 PM

So, Shane, in a previous life did you happen to be Torquemada, the Grand Inquisitor? Just kidding. In all seriousness, you did a great job on the list of WODs.

To follow on the last couple of entries, if you are considering a third version in the future, is there a way to label the WODs in such a way to assist those who need help programming to prevent the death by pullups/pushups syndrome or multiple long metcons or an overdose of strength minus conditioning? These are great workouts and my programming is alright, but I know many folks who are equipment challenged may do themselves a disservice by just picking randomly or in groups of familiar movements rather than varying programming in true CF style.

Thanks again and great job.

Shane Skowron 10-12-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Romo (Post 678365)
So, Shane, in a previous life did you happen to be Torquemada, the Grand Inquisitor? Just kidding.

Hmm are you insinuating I'm some sort of CF purist or something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Romo (Post 678365)
To follow on the last couple of entries, if you are considering a third version in the future, is there a way to label the WODs in such a way to assist those who need help programming to prevent the death by pullups/pushups syndrome or multiple long metcons or an overdose of strength minus conditioning? These are great workouts and my programming is alright, but I know many folks who are equipment challenged may do themselves a disservice by just picking randomly or in groups of familiar movements rather than varying programming in true CF style.

I'll probably do that for a future version. I think that's more of an opinion matter and I'm no expert on programming, but it is easy to cherry pick WODs and not make many improvements.

Mike Romo 10-14-2009 11:35 AM

[quote=Shane Skowron;678504]Hmm are you insinuating I'm some sort of CF purist or something?

Not at all Shane, no insult meant. I only posted that in regards to the strenuous nature of many of the WODs and the general nature of the CFer to self-punishment:) in the search of fitness. Nothing negative was meant, just a little firehouse humor.

Shane Skowron 10-14-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Romo (Post 679908)
Not at all Shane, no insult meant. I only posted that in regards to the strenuous nature of many of the WODs and the general nature of the CFer to self-punishment:) in the search of fitness. Nothing negative was meant, just a little firehouse humor.

Ahh.... yeah pain can be good ... if it makes you better I'm all for it.

Daniel Kunz 10-15-2009 09:41 AM

Vary nice, Shane!

I'm heading out of town for 2 weeks Saturday and bringing my rings and jump rope. This will be very handy.

Thank you.

Brian Russell 11-03-2009 04:57 PM

Downloaded/Printed v1.0 then saw v2.0 haha. That's what I get for not reading through to the end before printing. Oh well. Really, really like this setup. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it. This will be very helpful to me, as I am just getting into CrossFit and have just ordered a set of EXFs. I cannot wait to get started with them.

Shane Skowron 11-03-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Russell (Post 690483)
Downloaded/Printed v1.0 then saw v2.0 haha. That's what I get for not reading through to the end before printing. Oh well. Really, really like this setup. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it. This will be very helpful to me, as I am just getting into CrossFit and have just ordered a set of EXFs. I cannot wait to get started with them.

Glad you like it.

What are EXF's?

Brian Russell 11-04-2009 05:52 PM

EXFs are gymnast rings developed by Tyler Hass, found here http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/exf-rings.htmlYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

lots of good info on that page and here as well: http://www.trainingrings.com/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Shane Skowron 11-04-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Russell (Post 691179)
EXFs are gymnast rings developed by Tyler Hass, found here http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/exf-rings.htmlYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

lots of good info on that page and here as well: http://www.trainingrings.com/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Oh... I used to have the Tyler Hass rings but they were called Elite rings, didn't know the name was changed.

Brian Russell 11-05-2009 02:26 AM

ah ok, and sorry I didn't annotae the links. Still getting used to things around here. It won't happen again, haha.

Brook Bedell 12-22-2009 08:40 AM

Being TDY and in the military I would like to say thank you for the list. I can do most of these workouts from the hotels I stay in or at any post. Thank's again.

Brook Bedell
MAJ, AV

Shane Skowron 12-22-2009 01:54 PM

Thanks for the comment Brook.

Ryan Navarre 01-27-2010 03:40 PM

This rocks