CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739)

Sal Ocampo 09-21-2009 09:24 PM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
Because many times the only equipment avaliable is a pull up bar and room to run, I've been using your bodyweight workout resource v1 to train my Marines for quite sometime. I'm going to use your v2 for tomorrows workout. Thank you!

Craig Howard 09-23-2009 11:07 AM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
Terrific resource. Thank you sir!

Troy Britton-Coe 09-27-2009 10:47 AM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
This should be in every crossfitter's inventory!

Willie Bossie 10-05-2009 08:51 PM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
Thanks for the wonderful updat of this..i have a copy in my workout book.. thanks a million

Jonathan Slater 10-09-2009 09:00 AM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
Man, that is awesome. I'll be using this whenever a WOD that I don't have the gear for comes up.

Matt D. Thompson 10-11-2009 12:29 PM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
How are you guys using this? Are you just picking one randomly when needed, or using it to focus on something in particular?

I would like to use this to pull from for my daily workouts since I currently don't have the money to buy equipment or go to an affiliate.

What would be the best way to go about doing that?

Shane Skowron 10-11-2009 05:06 PM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D. Thompson (Post 678269)
How are you guys using this? Are you just picking one randomly when needed, or using it to focus on something in particular?

I would like to use this to pull from for my daily workouts since I currently don't have the money to buy equipment or go to an affiliate.

What would be the best way to go about doing that?

Well fortunately I have access to equipment and I own some, so I don't have to rely on this that much.

But if I didn't have anything, I would make sure to maintain the constantly varied part of CrossFit. It's tough to do when all you're doing is bodyweight WODs, but it's certainly possible.

It's very easy to take my list and pick random WODs and come up with really bad programming.

Consider these two splits:

Mon: Cindy
Tue: Angie
Wed: Death by Pullups
Thur: Rest
Fri: 150 burpees
Sat: Ryan
Sun: Murph

Mon: Run 10k
Tue: Cindy
Wed: Jumping pistols 5x5 (each leg)
Thur: Rest
Fri: Annie
Sat: 30 muscle-ups
Sun: 6-10x 100m sprints with full recoveries

See the difference?

In the first split, all you're doing is long metcons, way too many pullups and pushups. Not enough strength, not enough speed, not enough recovery. The WODs are all mostly oxidative in the range of 15-40 minutes. They're all great WODs, but in that setup, they're not.

In the second split, you've got a strength workout (pistols), a speed/power workout (sprints), a monostructural endurance (10k), strength endurance (30 MU), and work capacity (Annie and Cindy). The times range from 10-20 seconds in the case of the sprints and up to 40-60 minutes in the case of 10k run. You may be workout similar muscle groups back to back, but you're still giving them enough time to recover. In my opinion, that's a much better split for overall Crossfit-defined fitness.

So I wouldn't recommend picking WODs randomly, but giving consideration to the above.

Mike Romo 10-11-2009 07:02 PM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
So, Shane, in a previous life did you happen to be Torquemada, the Grand Inquisitor? Just kidding. In all seriousness, you did a great job on the list of WODs.

To follow on the last couple of entries, if you are considering a third version in the future, is there a way to label the WODs in such a way to assist those who need help programming to prevent the death by pullups/pushups syndrome or multiple long metcons or an overdose of strength minus conditioning? These are great workouts and my programming is alright, but I know many folks who are equipment challenged may do themselves a disservice by just picking randomly or in groups of familiar movements rather than varying programming in true CF style.

Thanks again and great job.

Shane Skowron 10-12-2009 07:33 AM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Romo (Post 678365)
So, Shane, in a previous life did you happen to be Torquemada, the Grand Inquisitor? Just kidding.

Hmm are you insinuating I'm some sort of CF purist or something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Romo (Post 678365)
To follow on the last couple of entries, if you are considering a third version in the future, is there a way to label the WODs in such a way to assist those who need help programming to prevent the death by pullups/pushups syndrome or multiple long metcons or an overdose of strength minus conditioning? These are great workouts and my programming is alright, but I know many folks who are equipment challenged may do themselves a disservice by just picking randomly or in groups of familiar movements rather than varying programming in true CF style.

I'll probably do that for a future version. I think that's more of an opinion matter and I'm no expert on programming, but it is easy to cherry pick WODs and not make many improvements.

Mike Romo 10-14-2009 11:35 AM

Re: Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0
 
[quote=Shane Skowron;678504]Hmm are you insinuating I'm some sort of CF purist or something?



Not at all Shane, no insult meant. I only posted that in regards to the strenuous nature of many of the WODs and the general nature of the CFer to self-punishment:) in the search of fitness. Nothing negative was meant, just a little firehouse humor.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.