CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Progression on all fronts ? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50703)

Dan Andrews 09-01-2009 06:14 PM

Progression on all fronts ?

Hey guys, quick question I've been wrestling with over the past few days. Basically right now im doing mainsite CF 3-1 religiously, i am also following a CFSB program, and in the next week or so here im also going to be practicing gymnastics along with that for 2 and a half hours a day for basically for the next 10 months of my life.

Now before the CFSB i was doing CFE for a while, but switched my priorities a bit and my running times obviously have suffered slightly, but stayed relatively the same, Im setting PR's constantly on the WOD's and have made a vast amount of progress with Crossfit, but my max effort sort of strength hasn't moved a ton. Thus me switching to the CFSB program.

Now, before everyone starts screaming at me for over-training, i feel great, never really fatigued beyond being really sore occasionally, i eat well, a loose paleo, pretty strict for a kid, i get 8-9 hours of sleep a night, and I'm constantly setting PR's, so i would highly doubt the fact that I'm over training.

So my question is, could i do CF mainsite, a CFSB program, CFE, and gymnastics and still make vast improvements in all of those skills and domains faster ? I understand CF will practically improve all of those over time, i guess im just looking for catalyst's. I feel as though if I'm doing only CFE my 1RM or 5RM is suffering, or if im only doing CFSB my running is suffering. So im curious if i sort of did everything if nothing could suffer ? Clearly assuming the fact my body can handle it which i feel I can, probably something to do with still being a teenager :P

I understand CFE and CFSB are additional to CF, just personally CF isn't enough for me, or at least i can handle more. My thoughts are a bit jumbled, any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steven Low 09-01-2009 08:08 PM

Re: Progression on all fronts ?

Well, you can't work strength and endurance optimally at the same time. You can get good gains on both though.

If you are highly conditioned then yes multiple workouts a day may work well for you.

What exactly are your goals though? Just throwing stuff together looking for improvements in everything is a bad plan.

Dan Andrews 09-01-2009 08:35 PM

My goals are fairly unspecific which makes it difficult. Essentially I want to make as much progress with gymnastics as possible within the last 10 months i have with it at my high school, all the while increasing my max effort strength, GPP, and running capabilities to there fullest extent. I suppose in essence I can't have everything, but I'd like to be as close as possible.

I guess I'm asking do you think doing CF, CFSB, CFE, and Gymnastics assuming my body can handle it and still recover properly would achieve better performance in those domains rather than say CF, CFSB and Gymnastics. Or how much would CFE and CFSB hurt each other in terms of performance gains if done together ?

Steven Low 09-01-2009 09:01 PM

I don't think you should do anything without some concrete goals

Endurance work in general detracts from gymnastics. No routine is longer than about ~30-45s seconds except floor... maybe 90 seconds.

Dan Andrews 09-01-2009 09:25 PM

I have concrete goals, there all very different though. I know how short my routines are, but if I can help lose body fat which would generally make gymnastics easier by moving less needless weight by doing some running intervals every so often while becoming a better runner, that would be worth it too me. Here are some very specific goals I have on my crossfit blog

* Stutz on Pbars
* 300lb back squat
* Front Lever Pullup
* Sub 5:00 Fran
* Bench 300lbs by end of senior year
* Get down to 12% body fat
* 50 consecutive dips
* Planche on Pbars by beginning of season
* Do a controlled unassisted HSPU
* Get under 7:00 min mile

Haha, but as you can see, they all vary quite a bit and CF, CFE, CFSB and Gymnastics would cover all of them. So, its not that i dont have goals, i certainly do, they are all just... very different.

Marcel Zwinger 09-01-2009 09:35 PM

CFE, CFSB and Gymnastics = CF Main Wod

Katherine Derbyshire 09-01-2009 09:47 PM

You don't need CFE if your only running-related goal is a 7 minute mile. CFE targets 5K and longer distances.

I'd suggest either CF mainpage or CFSB, then spend whatever extra training time you have on gymnastics. IMO, once you have a good baseline strength and conditioning program, skill work gives a better return on the time invested. Especially if your sport is something as skill-intensive as gymnastics.

Katherine

Dan Andrews 09-01-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel Zwinger (Post 656288)
CFE, CFSB and Gymnastics = CF Main Wod

Clearly I'm going for volume, I'm already doing the CF Main Wod, unless your suggesting maybe i do 2 a day or something which I've thought about.

Dan Andrews 09-01-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 656293)
You don't need CFE if your only running-related goal is a 7 minute mile. CFE targets 5K and longer distances.

I'd suggest either CF mainpage or CFSB, then spend whatever extra training time you have on gymnastics. IMO, once you have a good baseline strength and conditioning program, skill work gives a better return on the time invested. Especially if your sport is something as skill-intensive as gymnastics.

Katherine

Katherine, you bring up a good point. I suppose running has the least transference to most of my goals, especially when I'm not looking for any hugely impressive distance times. I think I'll stick with something similar to what I'm doing now and see how everything comes along. Thanks!

Steven Low 09-01-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Andrews (Post 656285)
I have concrete goals, there all very different though. I know how short my routines are, but if I can help lose body fat which would generally make gymnastics easier by moving less needless weight by doing some running intervals every so often while becoming a better runner, that would be worth it too me. Here are some very specific goals I have on my crossfit blog

* Stutz on Pbars
* 300lb back squat
* Front Lever Pullup
* Sub 5:00 Fran
* Bench 300lbs by end of senior year
* Get down to 12% body fat
* 50 consecutive dips
* Planche on Pbars by beginning of season
* Do a controlled unassisted HSPU
* Get under 7:00 min mile

Haha, but as you can see, they all vary quite a bit and CF, CFE, CFSB and Gymnastics would cover all of them. So, its not that i dont have goals, i certainly do, they are all just... very different.

Let me say this:

If you REALLY want to get good at gymnastics then you're going to have to focus more on it. If you want to settle for decently-good results that's your prerogative, and it can obviously be done by combining all such things into your routine.

That said, why would you be doing CFE again? Because you want to get under 7 min mile? That's it? That's the only running goal? You can get a sub 5 minute mile by doing 400m intervals 2-3x a week in probably less than 6 months (a year at the latest).

The rest of the stuff, aside from the 50 dips (which honestly you shouldn't be working towards as a gymnastics goal), can be done easily with a hybrid weight/bodyweight strength program.

Diet for weight loss.

I honestly do not see why you need to be doing CFE or CF or even CFSB. But if that's what you want to do then go for it.