CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 07-16-2012 08:57 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Jordan, it was pretty gross last year in Rocanville too. I remember it was 40C one day i was training in the garage. I chalked up but my hand were like they had glue on them.

Finally a bit of a break from the heat today, only for a couple days though which is fine, bring it on !

So, I was not feeling great yesterday. Ran a bunch of errands and just never got to my training. Did it all today though, all of it after work in the evening. Joined by 2 of my 3 favorite training partners (Ava & Olivia my little ones, missing the wife). Felt good and the heat finally died down and is helping my energy levels.

AM ( which was actually just the early evening)
A. Trap 3 Raise 6-8 reps @ 3011 x 3 sets; rest 60s b/t arms
15# for all, 8 reps each set
B1. Standing single arm DB braced press 5x4-6 reps @ 40X0; rest 10s b/t arms; rest 90s
45# for all, 6 reps each set
B2. Subscapularis pull-up, 5x4-6 reps @ 41X2; rest 90s
4 reps each set, not sure if I did them totally correct or not
+
Tabata Sit-ups
12 each set, likely could have pushed and got 13 on at least the first 4 sets

PM (later evening, after kids in bed)
Row:
8 reps [30s @ 90% aerobic; 30s EZ]
140,140,141,144,147,144,146,146 - found my stride after the first couple of feeling it out. No warming up again just back on the rower after about 3 hours of "rest"
+
Practice handstand walking for 5:00
x 3 sets
I did this as one set of 15:00, not great tonight. Best I got were a few really good holds and about 4 steps. Kind of bummed as these were coming along nicely.

Good night of work. I am feeling ready to get back to some regular Crossfit type stuff (sort of, I know it will hurt). I have an appointment to get my hamstring worked on tomorrow. It is still nagging a bit. I would love to be just healthy and progressing again.

Jason A Smith 07-18-2012 07:59 PM

Got some ART done yesterday on my aching leg, it feels much better today so that is good. Going to work some thoracic mobility for the shoulders as well.

Trained today:

A. Clean lift off (3 second pause at top) + Hang clean; 2+1 x 7 sets; rest 60s
http://vimeo.com/19571208
Build weight throughout
The key points here are that the weight starts at mid foot and shifts toward the heel by the time you’re at the knee. You need to pause with the weight just above the knee cap and a VERTICAL SHIN. Pause in the same spot every time. Same instructions for snatch below except obviously with snatch grip.
145-155-165-175-185-195-205, may have started a bit light. Did full cleans, I got about half way through and realized I should be doing video of them.

B. 6 sets:
8 Touch-n-go Power Clean, 135#
8 burpees AFAP
Run 200m
1:30-1:24-1:22-1:30-1:22-1:30
Rest 5x work time, I rested 5:00 in b/t, was 100% ready to go again
+
Spend 10 minutes working on thoracic mobility in prep for tomorrow - right after supper, which I am going to right now.

Actual training today which was nice for a change. Still pretty hot outside.

Jason A Smith 07-19-2012 10:13 PM

Got at it again late tonight, still wicked hot and sweaty in the garage. I was actually shirt off, which is pretty rare and just dripping. It's like going to hot yoga...but lifting weights instead.

Spend 10 minutes working on thoracic mobility (choose some stuff off M-Wod)
Did this and spent quite a bit of time during the erarly evening working mobility
http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=thoracic+mobility
A1. Snatch lift off @ 21X3; 3-4 reps x 4 sets; rest 60s
155-165-170-175 (all 4's)
A2. Overhead squat @ 32X1; 3-4 reps x 4 sets; rest 60s
115-120-125-130 (all 4's, tricky with the tempo, feeling out my shoulder)
B. Build to a max Weighted Supinated Chin-up
85# was the best
C1. Bodyweight kipping chin-ups AMAP in 30s x 3 sets; rest 30s
15-15-13, I did these exactly as written regular kipping (and just a little) chins
C2. AMRAP double unders in 30s x 3 sets; rest 30s
50-50-50, I can pretty much game this as I know I can do 50 in 30s and 100 in a minute pretty much every time
C3. DB Push Press, 50/h AMRAP in 30s x 3 sets; rest 30s
12-12-12, these got gross and I hung on really well

Grip was the limiting factor tonight. I had trouble and got too much chalk on and was worried about ripping....and then it was slippery.

Still not sure about the competition, I am contemplating signing up for one in Sept. in Saskatoon. I really do not want my shoulder getting jacked up and I know it will be a pretty good test for them both Friday night and Saturday. I am pretty sure I can handle the volume of the day. It'll be tough because i wil likely put forth a very controlled effort...I will have to. Off to bed and some camping this weekend. Day off tomorrow, which rules....I miss my 4 day work week.

Jason A Smith 07-21-2012 05:41 PM

Nice rest day yesterday and we are now camping......which means no lifting but I did get some running in this afternoon

5 sets:
Run 5:00 @ 90% aerobic
Run 2:00 EZ

Figure, I covered about 7 km or so total. This felt really good, I actually don't mind running. Beautiful day at the campground, really good grass fed steak for supper too and some tasty cherries. Love summer !

I am signed up to compete in Saskatoon, will train my butt off to make a good showing. Clean up the nutrition, rest and mobility work as well and see how I do.

Back home tomorrow for one more week of work and then a couple weeks of vacation time.

Jason A Smith 07-22-2012 08:45 PM

Got back from camping and suffering from a bit of sunburn on my chest and back ! You would think I would know better. A bit stingy doing stuff but not too bad.

A. Build to a max Front Squat + Split Jerk
(this is for practicing transition b/t Front Squat arm position and jerk arm position)
Made my way to a pretty easy 225, missed 235 (elbows were way too high). It has been a while since I did any jerks and they felt pretty decent
B1. Romanian Deadlift @ 40X0; 6-8 x 4 sets; rest 60s
* use straps
185-195(3) all 8's, felt these in my erectors and lower back, I bought straps and they did help.
B2. BB Russian Step-up @ 21X0; 10-12 x 4 sets; rest 30s b/t legs
135(12/12,10/10),115(12's for the rest). These are awful
C. GH Raise - AMAP @ 40X1 x 3 sets; rest 90s b/t sets
5,2(cramped badly, changed shoes),5 - happy i can do these at all felt good once I changed out of my lifting shoes. My NB shoes worked much better for this.

This did not look like much on paper (or the screen) but it takes a while even with following the prescribed rests. Still really sweaty outside. Likely going up in volume and intensity as we work our way to a competition. See how my body holds up on the way.

Jason A Smith 07-24-2012 11:50 AM

Turns out my body didn't hold up worth anything. Had lined everything to ramp up this week and prep for my comp.....

Build to 1 RM snatch - 145, 155ffff and slightly sprained my left shoulder on the last one. I let it go in a hurry too.

Supposed to C & J later but that will not likely happen. It is time to let it die and wait for my shoulder to properly heal up, which will only happen given time. No snatches or OHS for a while.

I sent an email to withdraw from the event and likely will go back to CFFB pr OPT function where there are no snatches and OHSing. Very frustrating as I thought I was doing OK.

Jason A Smith 08-08-2012 08:48 PM

Last post left me pretty frustrated. I am out of the competition (which sucks) and not sure what to do. I spent a few days not doing much and feeling sorry for myself and I PR'd sun tannining and sitting at the beach for abut a week. We are on family vacation and spent a really nice week and a bit at the beach and in the camper. Just in Winnipeg for a couple days as well and heading to Minneapolis tomorrow for the weekend to finish things off. We will see Coldplay on Saturday and head back to reality on Monday. And back to work.....

I decided to stop being a suck and dropped into Crossfit Winnipeg and for the first time in a while did some regular classes. Felt nice to do it too.

Yesterday was

Back squat 6,5,4,3,2,1 - 245,265,285,305,325(1) and shut it down
+
3 rounds for time:
5 Thrusters 125#
15 Toes to Bar
30 walking lunges
6:36

Decent enough time for me and a fairly decent effort squatting

Today:
Work to a heavy single hang snatch
Built up to 135 and had enough (supposed to be squat snatch but my hips and quads are way sore so no)
+
8 rounds for time:
1 strict muscle up
4 hand snatch 95#
8 bar facing Burpees
13:40
Really fun day at the gym today. I really enjoyed myself training with the class. Which I rarely get to do. Very pleased with the muscle ups as well.

Still torn on whether to do CFFB with the wife, OPT being program or actually take a stab at Outlaw, building my strength with the snatch etc. along the way. Will give it a little thught over the weekend and go from there.

May do some stuff at the hotel of they have equipment. Also food has been pretty good. Not 80/20, but a solid 65/35. Hopefully keep it up for the weekend.

Milton Brisson 08-09-2012 02:52 PM

Hey Man! Havent checked in in a while! Work is hitting a busy season, so I have had to have my focus there.....:(

Anyway, training looks good, I hope that your shoulder heals up, sucks to have to drop out of competition like that! Whetever program you choose to move forward on, CFFB or OPT, you know cant go wrong there!

Good luck, heal up!

Jason A Smith 08-17-2012 07:50 PM

So I took a bit longer hiatus than I wanted to, but back at it today. I have decided that for a while I will follow the Crossfit.com WOD, crazy I know. Will see how long it lasts before I am itching for more. My hips are still really sore from the squatting last week. Must have strained them worse than I though.

Today:

Snatch Balance:
65-75-85-95-105-115-115F

Took it really easy today, still is very painful to get into a full squat position and I wanted to be careful with the shoulder as well. It feels better. Not sure what I will do tomorrow with the walking lunges but i will figure something out.

Jason A Smith 08-18-2012 11:11 AM

No chance of doing the OH walking lunges today as my hips just wouldn't have been happy. So I went back and did one from a few days ago that I wanted to test anyways.

3 rounds for time:
500m row
400m run
12:14

Pretty decent time. I lost about 30s total setting up the treadmill. Not sure for distance outside so I did it on there. Paced the first round as a pretty easy row/run and turned it up progressively throughout. Pleased with my effort in lieu of my really crummy work lately. Likely about 11:30 if pushing it hard.