CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 12-16-2011 02:35 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Good discussion, I like it. Ultimately you can follow whatever programming you want. The reasons for doing it will be up to the individual. As far as CFFB vs Outlaw's comp program I would say that for strictly getting ready to compete at Crossfit, The Outlaw program looks fantastic. For me, I have made a mental commitment to follow OPT's stuff until Sectionals, his programming for competitive Crossfit is top notch and he knows his stuff. I think I would put Rudy in that same boat I will be interested to see how You, Jay and Kevin progress with it. To use CFFB for a comp program you would need to follow it to the tee and also add in some "extra" work. I have never seen a wall ball, barbell thruster, overhead squat, muscle up or high rep box jump (but that;s another story) programmed in a met con in CFFB. I have seen them lots at a competition. For me, if I can somehow make it through to Regionals i will consider my time at OPT a success. I am still progressing nicely and my "fitness" is improving. Like I said I may bump up to "Will" in January and see if I can handle the extra volume. we'll see. Great comments and so opt on from both of you. Rested yesterday, actually I fell asleep on the couch at about 8:30 ! Today:

part 1:
AMRAP HSPU
Run 400 m @ 90%
20 anchored sit ups AFAP
rest walk 3 min x 5

1. 14/1:24/UB
2. 13/1:28/UB
3. 10/1:26/UB
4. 11/1:30/UB
5. 9/1:26/UB

I rowed all of these, it's wintery and rowing sucks way more than running.

rest 4+ hours

part 2:
35 tough squat snatch for time
(make it strength capacity based)
score as % of 1RM + time for 35 reps
135 (80%) 22:50

I missed about 12 of these and finally am starting to figure out how to catch a full snatch. Oddly a lot like taking off a jump in skating, much patience and then right under the bar. I missed them all forward. I think I am finally starting to improve my HSPU's as well. This felt much improved. Also I hit 4 no false grip MU's today, woohoo !

Nik Nichols 12-16-2011 08:24 PM

CFFB is desighned for foot ball players and wont put in movement that may cause injury like a failed MU. They are dedicated to training for football and I have heard that it is well planned out to fully take athletes to there best for football.

Jason A Smith 12-16-2011 10:21 PM

I absolutely 100% agree with that statement Nik. I followed it for a year and a bit exclusively. I am pretty familiar with American Football and I also think it's a great GPP program for the general population.

Jason A Smith 12-17-2011 03:50 PM

Pretty good sleep last night, feeling rested and ready to go for today. We had kids hockey today and after Grandma and Grandpa took us out for lunch at.....A & W. Not the best pre-WOD nutrition but it's pretty rare, maybe a couple times/month I would eat something like that. Took about an hour afterwards before starting.

A. clean grip DL @ 55% 1RM; 8 sets of 2 @ 11X1; 30 sec b/t sets - 235
B. hang power clean - 1,1,1,1; rest 3 min - 205,215,225F,225F
+
5 sets @ 100%:
15 unbroken chin ups
20 unbroken wall balls
25 unbroken double unders
(rest 4 min b/t sets on airdyne @ Z1) - I rowed this about 600m each time
1. 1:25
2. 1:25
3. 1:29
4. 1:29
5. 1:28

All sets were done UB, tripped on first DU of last set before starting, but it was the WB's that are making me happy ! :)

I think that is a PR on the HPC. I almost had 225 just not enough hip drive and my thumbs were really sore. I think I finally have made some break through with my goats. I had some really good HSPU's this week, MU's & now with WB's felt like I finally figured out how do to them and stay planted, which makes a huge difference. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Jason A Smith 12-18-2011 01:20 PM

300 FY

post total cals in 10 min on airdyne to comments
(sub rower if no AD available)
post thoughts throughout the 10 min episode as well

Here is what happened:

Done on the rower as I still don't have an Airdyne, which may change in the new year. I was quite nervous going in as I really wanted to hit a PR from Oct. 22. Felt pretty good and warmed up nice and easy. Took off on the rower and was cruising along at 1400 cal/hr for almost 3 min. Then my legs locked up and I lost all the power I was generating. Shut it down before bad things happened. Rested about 10 min and then saddled up again with a new strategy. I was going to hit 200+ by setting the damper down to 5 and maintain 1200 cal/hr or better. Just couldn't generate a pace that would allow it. I got 183 calls (6 less than last time) and a bruised ego. I was pretty spent when done but I was able to get back on after 2 min of laying on the floor and row another minute at about 1260 cal/hr without dying, after I set the damper to 6. How did I feel all the way through. The first three minutes I was great breathing good, felt pretty easy. Between 3-7 min I was using all the positive self talk I could to keep my self "in it". After 7 min I focused on pacing it to the end. I really struggle with this and would love to improve sooner as opposed to later. Not sure what to do.

Jason A Smith 12-20-2011 09:51 PM

Rest day yesterday, back at it today with a two parter !

part 1:
A. Power Clean Cluster - 1.1.1.1.1.1; rest 90 sec x 3 - 10 sec b/t reps - 185,195,205
B. Push Press x 1/Split Jerk x 1 - 5 sets, build per set; rest 90 sec - 165,175,185,195,205
C. KB Snatch - 5 min amrap - 2/1.25 pd - try to get equal reps/hand - 36 total (18 each arm)

Never done KB snatches with the 32 kg, so I think it went well. I was really trying to not hurt myself. I will look forward to doing these again.

rest as needed - went to the school Xmas concert

part 2:
Row 20 sec @ max effort - 116,116,115,116,114,114
rest 2:40 x 6
(HS walk practice 10 min) - just worked HS for 10 min
Row 20 sec @ max effort - 115,115,111,114,115,114
rest 2:40 x 6

Felt really good about today's training. Got a chance to think about the 300 FY, Next time I will go hard and then not and see if that helps.

Milton Brisson 12-21-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1014851)
CFFB is desighned for foot ball players and wont put in movement that may cause injury like a failed MU. They are dedicated to training for football and I have heard that it is well planned out to fully take athletes to there best for football.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1014871)
I absolutely 100% agree with that statement Nik. I followed it for a year and a bit exclusively. I am pretty familiar with American Football and I also think it's a great GPP program for the general population.

It didnt hurt my rugby or hockey playing abilities either! Its designed for people playing contact sports - and Like Jason said - very good for GPP (perhaps even better that CF.com).

The OPT stuff intrigues me as well, I may have given it a shot if I had a home gym. I dont have the time for everything it calls for (but I dont always have time for the full CFFB program either....). There is good variety with the OPT stuff, and I am seeing Jason make excellent progress here.

Everything is GREAT! As long as you stick to it!

Jason A Smith 12-21-2011 08:03 PM

Thanks Milt. I actually don't find the OPT stuff too tough. The double days are the big thing, but not too bad. Sometimes having a home gym is a blessing, sometimes not. I mostly WOD at night and lots of times (like tonight) after the kids have gone to bed. Which brings me to:

21,15,9 rep rounds for time:
Burpees
CTB Chin Ups
5:06

The burpees were good, the C2B's not so much. Broke 15/6,5/5/5,5/4. I could;t keep a rhythm on them for some reason. I am still coughing 20 minutes later. Feels like Fran cough. I feel about 80% tonight so I am pretty pleased with my effort. Love the quote, we're watching 30 Rock right now.

Milton Brisson 12-22-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1016399)
Thanks Milt. I actually don't find the OPT stuff too tough. The double days are the big thing, but not too bad. Sometimes having a home gym is a blessing, sometimes not. I mostly WOD at night and lots of times (like tonight) after the kids have gone to bed. Which brings me to:

21,15,9 rep rounds for time:
Burpees
CTB Chin Ups
5:06

The burpees were good, the C2B's not so much. Broke 15/6,5/5/5,5/4. I could;t keep a rhythm on them for some reason. I am still coughing 20 minutes later. Feels like Fran cough. I feel about 80% tonight so I am pretty pleased with my effort. Love the quote, we're watching 30 Rock right now.

I like that workout - except for the burpees, and the C2B!:rofl: Nice work! I hae found that I have more success with C2B when I am in the supine grip....

Great time on that one! As always - your consistency is paying off! You will crush the Open this year!

Milton Brisson 12-24-2011 10:00 PM

Have a great Christmas my friend!!!! I hope OPT gave you the day off!