CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 08-19-2011 10:43 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Rested yesterday as it was scheduled as a double day and......the Part 1 looked long and I work on Thursday.....but not Fridays. If it is a single day I would likely have done it, that and I had lots of trouble falling asleep wednesday night. Anyway, much better rest last night, a solid 8 hour sleep and I woke up feeling really good.

Part 1:
A. Power Clean 2-3 X 4; rest 3 min - 185,190,95,200 (all 3's, 5 lbs off a PR but it felt really good today left it there)
B. Hang Power Clean X 1/Jerk X 1 on the min for 6 min - all done at 175, last one felt a little heavy
C1. Touch and Go Power Clean X 10
C2. 15 (but I did 10) CTB pull ups rest 2 min X 3
:58 @ 115/UB, 1:14 @ 115 5/3/2, 1:29 @ 115 4/3/3

Well my times were not that consistent and motor still needs work. That was a lot of power cleaning. Feel pretty good and have 6 hours to think about doing Part 2. Very happy that the strength gains I have worked so hard for are still there. Looking forward to getting my engine going.

Jason A Smith 08-19-2011 07:36 PM

Rested the Rx'd 6+ hrs and back for part 2:

For time:
50 Wall Balls
15 KBS 1.5pd
35 WB's
30 KBS
20 WB's
45 KBS
15:25

Not a stellar time by any stretch, this should be sub 10:00. I am really inefficient with WB's. Never do em so that explains it. I waste energy and time wandering all over and making errant throws. I should wander over to the school and do sets of 10 until I get it right. Tougher than it looks. Last time I did them was during sectionals and they were a goat then. Onward.

Milton Brisson 08-19-2011 10:13 PM

Good start on the OPT stuff Jason! If you want to be in competitions, his is a good program to go with - being the first winner in CF history and all!

I have thought about a program change too, but there are so many to choose from - CFFB still feels right, and I am going back to the ASWoDs. I will keep a close eye on your progress though, and maybe switch over if it looks like you are closing in faster on the 400# squat!:evilsmile

Jason A Smith 08-20-2011 12:28 PM

Yeah Milt I'm hoping it'll help prep me to be mentally stronger to push through stuff, which is itself a weakness. I could keep going but don't.

Today:

Worked up to a heavy power snatch pre-WOD for a warm-up.
155X2 (which ties PR), 160 (PR), 165 FX2
I was pretty happy with that effort, it's been a while since I maxed out at that. What I really need to do is learn how to catch a full snatch which will allow my #s to increase. I would love to feel like a snatchmaster ! Haha

For time:
15 Power Snatch 115
9 Box Jumps 24"
12 Power Snatch
12 Box Jumps
9 Power Snatch
15 Box Jumps
7:40

Pretty good time. I saw some guys go sub 5, which would be doable with quicker touch and go snatches, which I elected not to do. I did quick singles all the way through. The box jumps were quick. Very happy this is not a double day. Looking forward to pushing tomorrow.

Jason A Smith 08-21-2011 01:22 PM

Woke up today feeling.........sore. Very sore, my neck and upper back and quads and hair follicles ! I need to keep pushing though so I took a very long warm up and got at it. Helps that it's nice and sunny and that I had my favorite training partner(s) today. Thanks to Leah and the kids.

5 Heavy Front squats
10 burpees
15 chin ups COVP
Rest actively for 5:15 b/w sets 5-7 sets
increase Front Squat weight each set

1:10 @ 185
1:17 @ 195
1:22 @ 205
2:15 @ 215
1:50 @ 225

Called it there, I didn't even think about another set. I had planned on getting to 225 and made it. The fourth set was a complete disaster, I took no break to get to the burpees and really plodded through them. Fifth set had way better pacing. grip slipped on the last chin ups or could have gone unbroken. I feel beat up and am ready for a rest day. I do however feel like I will be better prepped for some competition WODs. Oh yeah, that didn't feel like rest hardly at all, how does that work ?

Milton Brisson 08-22-2011 03:19 PM

Man, that OPT stuff looks pretty heavy! Should get you into competition form! Once your body gets over the shock of the xtra volume, I am sure that you will kill the stuff!

Jason A Smith 08-23-2011 08:20 PM

Rest days are the best days, sort of. I felt way better yesterday after some contrast showering. It was cold !

Today:
A. Clean grip dead lift 11X1 @ 60%; 8 sets of 3; rest 45s - 250
B1. High Hang Power Clean 3X3; 80% rest 2 min - 135,145,155
B2. Close grip bench 30X1 5,5,5 rest 2 min - 135,140,145
C. GH raises 12X5 rest 1 min (called it after 4 sets)

Never done HHPC's before and it went pretty well. Pretty low key day, but tomorrow is going to be fun for sure !

Toby Smallwood 08-23-2011 09:54 PM

Hi Jason,

Looks like you have made awesome progress, and very interesting blog. Bit of a newbie to this so sorry if its a dumb question, but I see you are not following the WOD from this site. Where are you getting your daily routines from mate?

Jason A Smith 08-24-2011 01:12 PM

Toby,
Thanks for the response, I am very happy with my progress. My fitness journey is almost 3 years and going now and I couldn’t be happier. I will give you a “quick” synapses of my training just for background. I started Crossfit in June 2009 after 6-7 months of P90X, I followed the main page WODs right up until about mid-November 2009. I made great gains and was progressing quickly but my strength was holding me back to about “pack” scaling on a lot of the WODs. I decided that I really wanted to increase my strength numbers as I was at the time contemplating entering sectionals to qualify for the games. I did Starting Strength for a few months and made plenty of strength gains. All of my maxes on the slow lifts went way up. I decided I had enough strength for the time being and headed back to the main page and was able to Rx the weight on most of the workouts. I was still occasionally having to drop to “porch” scaling on a few things but all in all I wanted to get some conditioning back. I went back to main page WODs for at least another 3 months and continued to make progress but still wanted to increase my strength. I felt I had left some on the table when I stopped SS. I started Crossfit Football in March 2010 and followed the program pretty much exclusively up until the end of July 2011. I started on the amateur strength program and continued with it for about 9 months with a few resets along the way. I continued to improve my strength and also my conditioning stayed pretty decent. I got good at short heavy met cons and they translate quite well to regular Crossfit style stuff. I switched up to Collegiate strength at the beginning of this year and after a couple months more started to really PR and was still going strong before I stopped with CFFB before holidays this summer. At some point I competed right after starting CFFB and again when I did the Open Sectional this year, and I found the training to be fairly good prep work but I was still not as good at “Crossfit”. There are no wall balls or high rep light-mid weight work. The AMRAPs just about killed me a couple times but I made it through. My goals this year include making it to Regionals, so after holidays I thought I would switch things up in preparation for another upcoming competition. I am following OPT’s (Optimum Performance Training’s) Big Dawg training, which is run by James Fitzgerald (OPT the guy) who is the winner of the 2007 Crossfit Games. A lot of people who train to compete at Crossfit use his program as prep work and I know some of them, and they torched me at Sectionals (even though my strength numbers are way better). I will see how it does at getting me ready and make a decision from there.
I read your log and I would think that CFFB would be the best suited for you to play rugby. A lot of the guys who do it also play and the training is geared to in and out of season. Also, John Welbourne, who runs the site is not only a 10 year NFL veteran but also a really smart dude who is always learning. It would be my training of choice if I was just doing GPP. I would likely cycle in some more Olympic Lifting work throughout the year as well, but I think it’s the best training for what I need to do. I know a long post but it gives a little context. Best of luck !

Jason A Smith 08-24-2011 06:16 PM

Well a weird day today. My wife's grandmother passed away last night, she has been in a coma for about a week. It's a relief for the family and hopefully she's in a better place. Leah is pretty down, hopefully not too long. We are off to Winnipeg tomorrow, busy weekend coming up.

Today:

A. Build to a heavy 3 on OHS - 165 (which is PR and felt like I had lots more left !)
+
For time:
30 unbroken wall ball (used my 25# ball)
50 walking lunges 90# barbell (supposed to be sand bag)
15 muscle ups
50 walking lunges
30 unbroken wall ball
17:35

Had to cut the MU's at 9 as my wrist took a bad turn. It's been sore for a couple weeks. Otherwise pretty happy with it. It all fell apart when I strung some together. Bad idea. Hopefully feeling better tomorrow.