CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 03-16-2014 04:02 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Glad I did a test run of this on Friday, and I watched some folks go yesterday as well, didn't really make much difference for my plan for 14.3 but at least my low back wasn't fired up going into it.

Went at Open gym today and had a pretty good run. Heavy deadliest for high reps are NOT in my wheelhouse, and I (like a lot of people) were likely caught off guard with this one.

14.3 - 137 reps with a tie break at 6:37

Went UB, UB, 10-5-5, 5-5-3-3-2-1's, singles at 315# it was breaking three's at 275# that cost me 140+ but I just had nothing left there. Not worth snapping my back in half either.

Really happy with the effort. This one will cause our leaderboard to go all wonky I am sure. I will stay ok, but I think my shot at top 60 has blown away unless I can get a top 60 on the last two weeks events, which is possible but would be tough. Regardless, I am doing MY best and putting in full effort, which equals full victory.

Rode the AD for 20 minutes and rowed for 10 later in the afternoon to try and make sure I am not too tight tomorrow.

Jason A Smith 03-18-2014 07:21 PM

Rest day on Monday, low back, hamstrings etc all still lit up from 14.3, CNS is toast as well.

Back at it tonight.

A. Power Snatch Cluster, 1.1.1 - build to a tough set - Completed to 60KG and just had nothing left
B. Back Squat @ 20X1, 2 reps @ 90% RM x 3 sets, 3 min - skipped these, low back said no way
C. Power Clean and Push Jerk Cluster, 1.1.1 - build to a tough set - 90KG
D. AMRAP in 10 minutes:
5 burpee ring muscle-ups
5 ground to overhead @ 185lbs
3 rounds even, actually the MUs felt fine it was the G to OH that was the problem. Normally this weight is pretty easy but not tonight.

So that is what a fried up CNS feels like ? I no likey. Regardless, went out for a big meal afterwards and should feel better by tomorrow......I hope.

Worked on stringing together some MUs after I was done as they have felt way off the last few weeks, and it went much better.

Jason A Smith 03-20-2014 07:32 PM

Took a rest day yesterday as we went into Winnipeg to watch the Jets game. Had a great time with my daughter. It was something I promised I would do with her a year ago, glad I was able to deliver. Back at it today even though I was a bit groggy from a late night.

AMRAP in 15 minutes:
20 Wall Balls - 20#
15 toes to bar
10 burpees to 6" OH
6 rounds even. WB's mostly UB and T2B in two sets

I guess this was good practice for 14.4. I am looking forward to this one. Been doing lots of WB's, T2B, MU's. Always am rowing or ADing as well and I usually know how to pace for these lengths of efforts.

Jason A Smith 03-23-2014 05:01 PM

Friday - Asked what the Open prep was.......do 14.4 Yikes

A. BS @20X1; 2 reps @ 90% (325#) X 3 sets; rest 3 min - completed, low back did not like this at all.
+
185 reps, 10:49 tie break time. Major bust on the rings. Failed about the same amount of MUs as I made. Pretty displeased

Rested on Saturday

Sunday
14.4 round 2 - 188 reps, tie break was 10:39, leading to the rings felt way harder but I was actually 10s faster, weird. Went much better, made a double to start and only failed once. Would have been nice to hit 4-5 doubles but was not happening. Those MUs were some of the most well earned ones I have ever done. I rowed about 5s slower, broke the T2B a little more than my first time as well.

My throat is still burning hours later, have the "Crossfit Open cough"

Jason A Smith 03-25-2014 04:46 PM

Rest day on Monday, and we are now in the home stretch of the Open 2014, finally the last week. I must admit I am a little burnt out right now. 5 weeks is just such a long time when that is your focus. For folks where it is just a training day I could see it but for me, this is the Crossfit season. My low back was really sore yesterday again, I had a friend who is a physic give it a quick look and she thought I was ok, just sore nothing major. Due to that fact I pulled ahead what was supposed to be Thursday's work today as it looked like a better idea.

30 minutes @ 75% effort/moderate:
30 cals AirDyne
25 step down Box Jumps - 24"
20 Wall Balls - 20#
15 Push-ups
10 Toes to Bar
5 rounds + 10 cals

I must be getting better at WB's and T2B anyways because those all went UB and pretty easy. Not sure I could say that a year ago.

Good times, likely roll myself out later and hopefully tomorrow back feels better and I can move on. Oh yes, I am currently siting 101st place in my Region. Goal going in was top 100 so pretty much right on target. Would love to have more wiggle room but it is what it is. Hopefully 14.5 is a good one for me and I can post another decent score. So far two out of four have been pretty good. 14.3 was a bust for me and 14.4 was ok.

Jason A Smith 03-26-2014 08:45 PM

Feeling better again today and very much so mindful about positioning tonight.

A. Squat Snatch, work to a challenging single - 170#
B. Back Squat @ 20X1, 2 reps @ 90% RM x 3 sets, 3 min - did not do this as I did not want to tweak myself again
C. Squat Clean and Split Jerk, work to a challenging single - 225#
D. EMOM x 10 mins:
2 thruster @ 135lb
2 ring muscle-ups
completed and a lot easier than I thought it would be

Good session today. Happy I was able to lift without discomfort and happy I could do thrusters with out any discomfort.

Jason A Smith 03-29-2014 09:46 PM

I actually trained Thursday night just did not post. Life took a weird turn and we got a call about my grandfather. He has been in the hospital for two months but he had a maasive bad turn and now we are just waiting for the end.

Thursday night was

AMRAP in 5 minutes:
50 burpees to 6" OH
AMRAP Thrusters @ 95bs in remaining time
Made 25 thrusters. I had a goal in mind I wanted to make and hit it. Finished the burpees with 2:20 to go
(5 min rest)
AMRAP in 5 minutes:
50 burpees to 6" OH
AMRAP Thrusters @ 135lb in remaining time
11 total mostly all singles. Burpees were a little slower and only had 1:58 to go

Took Friday as a rest day. We traveled to Winnipeg, went to the hospital, and our daughter is in her last hockey tournament of the year. Also had a dinner at my wife's parents to get to.

Saturday
"14.5" - did this at Crossfit Sublime here in Winnipeg. Had my old coach as my judge. It was a good run too
11:19 and really happy for me to hopefully turn in one of my strongest efforts.

Not only did I have a decent time but my lovely wife did it in the same heat as me. She took a while but got all the work done and did not quit. I am so proud of her.

So that is the end of the Open for me and also my season. Glad I could finish on a high note and now doing all those burpees has finally paid off. As this year finishes I found only a few things left to work on.

1. C2B stamina
2. Heavy DL's
3. MUs under fatigue

Should find myself improved by some spots this year too. Which I am happy about.

Milton Brisson 03-31-2014 02:03 PM

Jason, I see that you are sitting 75th now (3pm on Monday...). Not sure how many people have yet o submit, but I have to say taht you have done a really, really great job on the Open this year!

Depending on who didnt film a work out, or who declares for team, you may still have a chance at getting an invite to regionals.....unless they dont move people up.....

Anyway, regardless, you have really done well this year, hanging in there with all of those whippersnappers! Proud of you man!:highfive:

Jason A Smith 03-31-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton Brisson (Post 1226385)
Jason, I see that you are sitting 75th now (3pm on Monday...). Not sure how many people have yet o submit, but I have to say taht you have done a really, really great job on the Open this year!

Depending on who didnt film a work out, or who declares for team, you may still have a chance at getting an invite to regionals.....unless they dont move people up.....

Anyway, regardless, you have really done well this year, hanging in there with all of those whippersnappers! Proud of you man!:highfive:

The last two hours before they close lots of folks submit. My goal from last year was top 80-90 and I am right there now, and may stay there. I did not video the last two and do not expect an invite to Regionals though this is by far my best finish in four years. After the debacle that was 14.3 and 14.4 I was pretty much done.

The bright side is that I was only a handful of reps away this year. I am pumped out how well I trained and prepared too. I really doubt I could have done much more.

So thanks.

Jason A Smith 03-31-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1156473)
Took a rest day yesterday. Hung some better lighting in the garage as I will be moving back into my training dungeon at the end of the month. The stretch at the affiliate has been awesome but I need to work on some strength and aerobic capacity. The OPT Being program will let me do that, so that is likely what i will return to. A couple of mods to the garage gym and I should be good to train there all winter. Trying to keep the intensity as low as possible this week without totally resting.

Did some skill work on HS walking this morning and got about 10 feet, this is coming along nicely and will be an addition to my regular training a couple times a week.

Back Squat
5-5-3-3-1-1
185-225-245-265-285-305, about 90% of 1RM
+
6 Minute AMRAP of "Nate"
2 Muscle Ups
4 HSPUs
8 KB Swings 70#
4 rounds + 2 MUs
+
3 minute rest
+
3 Minute AMRAP
20 DUs
10 Med Ball sit ups
4 Rounds + 10 DUs

Fun day, glad to be done training already. Looking forward to taking it easier this week.

Very glad I did the Open this year. I ended up at about 150 in my Region, which I am pleased with. That is within the top 10%, which compared to 2011 when I was in the top 30% I will take for now. I know it isn't as good a comparison as the 2012 results, but it is all I have. After the first two events I was around 300, and was actually in around 120-130 for the last three. Likely working towards an 80-90 place finish next year. Most of the names are similar to 2011-2012 (with a few exceptions). I know a top 48 (Regional spot) is a long shot for me as I advance to be a Masters competitor but it gives me something to work towards. Our affiliate owner qualified as well as another guy in our gym (sort of. He didn't register but would have been well within the scores). So I know what it looks like to have a qualifying score. Leah (my wife) is going to do it next year as well, and maybe a local event too , so that is even better.

So reading this from last year, I was very close to exactly this. I ended up #92, a 50 spot improvement from last year and one more decent score from close to top 60. My goal heading in was top 100. I am very excited about what the next year has in store for me. My shoulders feel awesome, I am as healthy as I have ever been and ready to keep at it for a while yet.

I will also have an extra 5 months of working with Mike as well. I will have to check but I am pretty sure I would have been competitive in Masters as well which is the more long term goal.

Onward !