CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Laparoscopy/ Incisional Hernia Question (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43292)

Jenny Davis 02-24-2009 08:36 PM

Laparoscopy/ Incisional Hernia Question

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with a laparoscopic surgery and/or incisional hernia. At the end of December I had a cyst removed laparoscopically, and the doctor told me to avoid exercise for four weeks, and lifting for 6, because of the hernia risk of the incisions (small, but went through abdominal fascia). I tried to ask as many specific questions as possible, but my doctor basically just said "take it easy."

I started lifting light at the 6-week mark, and since the 8-week mark I've been working out harder, but still avoiding heavy ab work. Does anyone have suggestions for ways to build core strength back without damaging weak spots in fascia? Or, does anyone have experience to tell me what the warning signs are that I need to back off from an exercise?

Any advice much appreciated!

take care,
Jenny

Thomas Prewitt 03-09-2009 10:24 AM

Re: Laparoscopy/ Incisional Hernia Question

Jenny, I am a surgeon and do laparoscopic surgery regularly. Postoperatively, I tell patients to do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, whenever they feel like doing it.
It is hard to give medical advice to someone elses's patient, so please don't take my comments for more than they are intended. I just haven't had problems with port site hernias and believe that most of the restrictions given to patients for limited activities after surgery are not based on good data.

Blake Bush 03-09-2009 11:30 AM

I had laparoscopic surgery to correct my GERD (acid reflux problem) and I followed the same schedule as you did. I waited about 6 weeks then I started running and swimming then 2 weeks later I started doing calisthenics, then at about the 10-12th week post-surgery I started doing light to moderate CrossFit.
A couple times I had some pain at the incision sites, at which point I backed off for a couple weeks.
But it has a been 1.5 years since I had my surgery and I have no complaints, and I can eat spicy food again, yea!:D

Kevin Moore 03-11-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Prewitt (Post 536515)
Jenny, I am a surgeon and do laparoscopic surgery regularly. Postoperatively, I tell patients to do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, whenever they feel like doing it.
It is hard to give medical advice to someone elses's patient, so please don't take my comments for more than they are intended. I just haven't had problems with port site hernias and believe that most of the restrictions given to patients for limited activities after surgery are not based on good data.

This is what my Surgeon said as well. Told me to not stop lifting or working out if thats what I enjoy. I had my first workout yesterday (11 days after surgery). No problems.

Jenny Davis 03-13-2009 10:26 AM

Thanks for your replies -- they are reassuring! I've started lifting heavier, and so far no problems.