CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Laura Kurth 01-22-2009 02:03 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Bedell (Post 499931)

By the way, at the L1 Cert. Pat explained how a McD's quarter pounder is actually zone compliant, and that therefore this is better for a meal then oatmeal and a glass of OJ. Weird. So, may not have been that bad!

one of the things I hate about the 'zone' To say that because something is 'better for you' simply because of it's macronutrient breakdown is kind of silly.

Yeah sure - a highly-processed, mystery meat Q pounder from maccy ds is better for you than a couple of bananas simply because it is 'zoned' :ranting2:

Anu Varadharajan 01-22-2009 02:44 PM

Hello All! Just found this thread. This is something I desperately need to do. I'm fairly good at keeping off the grains and sugar. Have given up sugar in coffee / tea since last November and actually enjoy coffee w/o sugar. However, the grains (granola especially) are super hard!! And here is the problem. It is the midafternoon / post dinner that is the problem. My daughter comes home from school, has some granola and it's downhill from there. Or after dinner, a small piece of chocolate w/ the kids. The odd thing is as I am eating the chocolate, I know I don't need it and that it's not good for me, etc. etc. etc. and I don't even enjoy it, but I CAN"T STOP MY SELF!!! :wtf:
And then I feel horrible for having strayed. In the morning, I don't even think about grains or stuff. Anyway, maybe if I regulated my meals more (planned ahead what I was going to have and stuck to it and ignore the hunger), I hope to do better. The other thing is to clear the pantry of all the junk so I'm never tempted (highly unlikely w/ the two kids). And finally, there are all these social events - we get together with friends at least once a week and it's hard to refuse desserts or expect my friends to cook in the zone just for me.

So, I would like to join the group and if anyone has any suggestions that I can follow, I'd appreciate it!

Aaron Davis 01-22-2009 10:23 PM

day 2, zero sugar zero grains.

didnt crave any grains at all today, kind of craved sugar a bit but satisfied it with a few raisins. ended up with some friends at a burger joint for lunch and i had a bunless burger with bacon and cheese on it. i dont think i'd usually eat something like that but there were no alternatives at the time. i'm still not used to thinking food like that is healthy for me either.

Brian Bedell 01-23-2009 08:27 AM

Laura, well in the defense of the L1 cert, they certainly did not suggest that this was a good idea to eat McDonalds, just maybe in a pinch so that you would not feel so guilty.

But I agree, how the fark did bananas, carrots, corn, and orange juice become "unfavorable!" lol

And that I can't eat peanuts and black beans on paloe is ludicrous!

Amber Mathwig 01-23-2009 09:58 AM

I love bananas, and for the longest time stopped eating them since they weren't "favorable." Screw that. Now, I just make sure to get shorter bananas and enjoy every last bite. I still have the "unfavorable carb" attitude to carrots and corn though, but maybe because I don't like them as much as green veggies.

Pete - don't forget you can always run into the grocery store just to pick up one meal too. Just hit the deli counter, the nuts and grab a piece of fruit.

Anu - good luck! Maybe you could try phasing the kids out of some of the junk food as well?

1 oz of oatmeal each day, otherwise sugar and almost grain free. I work 8 hours now instead of 12 and that has made a HUGE difference already in my eating.

Roelant Bergen 01-23-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Bedell (Post 500491)
Laura, well in the defense of the L1 cert, they certainly did not suggest that this was a good idea to eat McDonalds, just maybe in a pinch so that you would not feel so guilty.

But I agree, how the fark did bananas, carrots, corn, and orange juice become "unfavorable!" lol

And that I can't eat peanuts and black beans on paloe is ludicrous!

OJ? lots of sugar.

but I understand what you mean. I could tell you that I zone because I adhere to the block system, but i'll squeak in an extra protein block or two if I feel like it. I could tell you that eat paleo...but I add dairy and legumes. (Gawd, I'm such a rebel :broc: )

RE: bananas? just never liked the texture, so I don't bother. I like carrots so I add it. Just use common sense I guess

Laura Kurth 01-23-2009 11:08 AM

um... yeah, of course OJ is full of sugar and I certainly don't drink it - but I would consider it more 'favorable' than a mac donalds burger.

I don't particularly care for bananas either, but now and then I'll have one.

I love carrots and eat them every day. I don't understand the hype about carrots being 'bad'. They only have like 35 calories per serving and maybe 7g carb at most. Big deal.

Corn is another thing, and peas. Those are more like 80-100cal per serving I believe.

Bob Guere 01-23-2009 11:18 AM

Three weeks now for Kerry and I, still going strong! We really want some oatmeal though.

Brian Bedell 01-23-2009 01:02 PM

For the record, I don't eat McD's anything, or drink OJ, and limit bananas to 1/2 in my morning shake sometimes. I do eat peas, carrots, and corn in my mixed vegetables for lunch. However, I have only had one piece of bread and one flour tortilla since since Dec. 29, so there! lol

I do drink beer, and chase women (when they let me).

Have a great weekend everyone!

Roelant Bergen 01-23-2009 01:48 PM

Beer? Hell, I just shove that into the carb block category on a weekend:yikes:

....makes me feel better psychologically and I'm still losing weight soooo......

chasing women? well....I have to chase my girlfriend plenty during the wod. 95% of the time, she kicks my a$$