CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Michael Ricketts 01-06-2009 05:34 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

I am coming to the party late, but I am definatley in! I did the last two challenges and after the "withdrawals" I felt fantastic and my WOD numbers went through the roof! Unfortunatley shortly after each one I promptly fell off the wagon.

I am in the middle of SS right now so my Paleo will include copious amounts of milk. Any recipies anyone has would be awesome!

Tim Crawford 01-06-2009 06:43 PM

I've been really good about the sugar (except what may already be in the foods) but I fell off the wagon about grains tonight and had some sandwiches on wheat bread with the family tonight. I've been passing up on some chocolates, which may not sound like much for others, but I've got a huge sweet tooth so I'm happy about that.

Julie Manuel 01-06-2009 08:09 PM

I'm Julie and I'm a recovering sugar addict!

I'm coming to the thread late, but I'm doing no sugar 09 for as long as possible. I didn't give up grains because I'm not addicted to them and I hardly ever eat them anyways, just steel cut oatmeal. This is day 3.

Coming back to college almost made it easier because my schedule is so busy that I have to pre cook all of my Zone meals. I resisted my friend Britt's amazing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies last night, I was proud.

Every time I think of sugar, I just think of the CF games qualifier that I want to go to and how it will be much easier if my diet is solid so my training can be solid for the next few months. :kicking0:

John Penner 01-06-2009 11:36 PM

welcome Julie, I'm w/ you why not cut sugar out as a lifestyle? I am an addict so moderation really isnt an option. I don't know how I am going to do it w/o upsetting my family but some VERY minor cheats may be in order this year.

I'm adding a lot of fat and that is really keeping me satified. Sugar is soooo empty. never feel full after a bunch of it, VERY yummy & VERY unsatifying. I go from "give me more" over & over to "I'm sick and going to regret this during my a.m. workout"

0 sugar has been awesome, great performance.

0 sugar, 0 grains today:pepper:

Brian Bedell 01-07-2009 08:15 AM

Pete, that sounds correct on your 15 blocks. Do that until you lean out so much that your performance suffers, then up the fat as necessary. Good luck.

It is my understanding that beans and lentils are okay on the zone, but they are not paleo. Zone is food quantity, Paleo is food quality (very broad generalization). Optimially, you combine the two.

Jack Gayton 01-07-2009 06:34 PM

Day 5 - All good.

Samantha Aurelio 01-07-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Gayton (Post 487622)
Day 5 - All good.

Yayy! :highfive:
Day 3 - going strong :) !

John Penner 01-07-2009 10:32 PM

0 sugar today:kicking0:
30 blocks fat:yikes: thats a lot when your counting & watching it.
avacado, nuts & seeds, fish oil

so how does this go? You will get better performance w/ 2x fat?
I want to lean out like Brian was saying then maybe up the fat. So should I spend a week @ 15 blocks protien, 15 blocks fat & as many Paleo carbs as possible (veggies, veggies veggies, little fruit)?:shrug:

I want to find that "too lean for best performance line" then ajust accordingly.:run:

any ideas?

Jennifer Woods 01-08-2009 05:11 AM

Still holding out strong. Tomorrow will make a week! That is a HUGE accomplishment for me. I always give in by now. Not this time. I have all you guys to keep me in check. I am so happy!

Jimi Miller 01-08-2009 06:26 AM

Still going pretty well. Energy level is consistent, few hunger pains. Friday nights are tough for me so tomorrow is the real test.