CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38880)

Nick Cummings 11-19-2008 01:47 PM

Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Phillip, let it go man. Its over.

Tim Donahey 11-19-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Gross (Post 450488)
They will always be here, just like the people posting "What's up with the politics, I thought this was an exercise site?"

Yeah, what is up with that. :p

Chris Walls 11-19-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq (Post 450698)
If firefighting training is designed to prepare the firefighters for the unknown and unknowable, than shouldn't we prepare them for all metabolic pathways and increased efficiancy in all them including VO2 max and aerobic fitness as well as alactic anaerobic and lactic aerobic respiration?

This sounds to me like "increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains"

Phillip Garrison 11-19-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Cummings (Post 450711)
Phillip, let it go man. Its over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZdY9rw-uo

"Nothing's over, you just can't turn it off"

Phillip Garrison 11-19-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Walls (Post 450719)
This sounds to me like "increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains"

Work capacity in several domains. But to know what domains you've improved in, you got to test them.

Chris Walls 11-19-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq (Post 450732)
Work capacity in several domains. But to know what domains you've improved in, you got to test them.

By say, doing a 5k, 10k, 15k run, 1RM lifts, 2-20 minute intense efforts with heavy weight, intermediate weight, or bodyweight only? 500-2000m rows?

Oh wait, those results aren't sciency enough. :)

Sean Dunston 11-19-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Walls (Post 450653)
Why wouldn't you? ;)

:rofl:

Chris-

Like I said about 10 pages back in this thread -- pulling a massive DL is really not one of my goals, but I have seen the numbers climb very quickly.

I was never introduced to olympic lifts prior to CF either, and we really didn't start working with them until maybe January of this year (they require a great deal more skill than the power lifts, IMO)... They have caught my interest lately and I'd much rather work on those lifts because I think I have much more room for improvement... and technique seems like it goes SOOOOO far in improving the numbers.

I'd love to enter an Oly lifting event at the 69 Kg weight class just to see how I do. Since I'm 38, I guess I'd be in the "masters" category? How many little, old guys are out there doing this stuff, anyway?

Chris Walls 11-19-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dunston (Post 450741)
:rofl:

Chris-

Like I said about 10 pages back in this thread -- pulling a massive DL is really not one of my goals, but I have seen the numbers climb very quickly.

I was never introduced to olympic lifts prior to CF either, and we really didn't start working with them until maybe January of this year (they require a great deal more skill than the power lifts, IMO)... They have caught my interest lately and I'd much rather work on those lifts because I think I have much more room for improvement... and technique seems like it goes SOOOOO far in improving the numbers.

I'd love to enter an Oly lifting event at the 69 Kg weight class just to see how I do. Since I'm 38, I guess I'd be in the "masters" category? How many little, old guys are out there doing this stuff, anyway?

Well how can you expect to C+J 500 lbs if you can't even deadlift it?!

:D

Tim Donahey 11-19-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wolf (Post 450639)
HOW is this different? If your goal lies in short time domains, time index appropriately. If your goal is a "broad, general inclusive fitness" program appropriate to this goal. Why is a line in the sand drawn saying "this is CF, that is not"? Is a shorter, strength oriented focus consistent with the Defn of fitness? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps this is a period of focus...seasonality in training. But wait! We can't change things in the "constantly varried" program! Yes, we can and smart coaches/athletes do.

You're right... it's kinda a dumb argument on my part. When I think of "Crossfit," though, I think of the WOD. But that is not everybodys, or even most people's, definition. Yes, the goals of GG Hybrid are the same as the goals of Crossfit. I think there is a line to be drawn in the sand though, but I don't really care where it is... we're all just trying to enjoy the beach.

Phillip Garrison 11-19-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Walls (Post 450735)
By say, doing a 5k, 10k, 15k run, 1RM lifts, 2-20 minute intense efforts with heavy weight, intermediate weight, or bodyweight only? 500-2000m rows?

Oh wait, those results aren't sciency enough. :)

Sure they work for me, so long as we measure O2 consumption and force production at some point.