CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How much space needed for two-three people to do WOD simultaneously? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=34343)

Lisa Walker 07-13-2008 04:28 PM

How much space needed for two-three people to do WOD simultaneously?

Hi!

I searched, but can't quite find an answer to this question.

For 2-3 people doing a WOD at the same time, approx. how much floor space is needed? We are building out our garage gym, considering using one full bay of our garage (approx. 24' x 17') or using about 1/2 of that space (approx. 12' x 17'). This would include space for the oly lifts.

Would the 12' x 17' be sufficient space for 2-3 people to do WOD at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Lisa

David Wood 07-13-2008 08:52 PM

Re: How much space needed for two-three people to do WOD simultaneously?

At the risk of saying something both obvious and useless . . . it depends on the WOD?

Some workouts require little more than a pullup bar and a place to do burpees . . . others *should* have 12' x 17' for one person (e.g., Linda).

I think you'd be able to do some WODs with 3 people in 12x17, but certainly not all. Fresno's not too bad in winter, but gets plenty hot in summer (I was born there :)) . . . can you drag stuff outside?

Lisa Walker 07-13-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wood (Post 349573)
At the risk of saying something both obvious and useless . . . it depends on the WOD?

Some workouts require little more than a pullup bar and a place to do burpees . . . others *should* have 12' x 17' for one person (e.g., Linda).

I think you'd be able to do some WODs with 3 people in 12x17, but certainly not all. Fresno's not too bad in winter, but gets plenty hot in summer (I was born there :)) . . . can you drag stuff outside?

Thanks, David. This helps a lot. I know what you are saying about "depends on the WOD." Guess I'm just kinda looking for a gauge. My husband just ran some drawings and I guess we're now looking at covering approx. 300 sq. feet with mats just to be safe. (We can never do anything in a small way. ;)

As for Fresno, golly you are right about the heat! We moved here from Maryland last July and this 114 (although, a dry heat) is pretty darn toasty! We are going to run lots of fans and train early mornings on those 100+ days. Wish us luck! :p

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. We really do appreciate it!

Lisa

Jeff Chalfant 07-21-2008 02:56 AM

my garage is 357 square feet and I can comfortably accomodate 4.

Lisa Walker 07-21-2008 07:40 AM

Thanks, Jeff! :)