CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 02-03-2010 01:10 PM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;734245]Great PR Nik, massive improvement of 9 minutes!! you could of probably done another round and still come in under your old time, well done mate. :highfive:[/QUOTE]
HAHA yea, I probably could have! You were right, my wallball was the difference. The more I do the more reps I can string together.
[QUOTE=Dominic Beardwell;734252]Fantastic improvement Nic! :highfive:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm real happy with it.

Jay Rhodes 02-03-2010 01:45 PM

Great improvement!!

I just finished this one. WOW did it ever hit hard.

Time to go cool down.

Nik Nichols 02-03-2010 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=Jay Rhodes;734291]Great improvement!!

I just finished this one. WOW did it ever hit hard.

Time to go cool down.[/QUOTE]

Thanks bud, it was fun.

Nik Nichols 02-03-2010 02:26 PM

3:00 break
Brady wanted to deadlift.

So we were going to do 5set of 3 reps st 265lbs but..
4sets at 265lbs
1set at 275lbs.

Nik Nichols 02-04-2010 07:36 AM

Feeling good today, sore, but good. It is raining today, Glad it wasnt yesterday.
Ernie, I guess I got your rain.

Oh note worthy, I got a first.
I put my rings over reach of the false grip, I had to jump onto the rings. I pullups up to a false grip, wrist flick and MU. Grip is getting better. Also getting comfortable doing MU's with less then perfect false grip. i can get them with less wrist on ring now, if that makes sense.

Greg Privitera 02-04-2010 08:05 AM

That's a great time Nik,HUGE improvement. Our workouts were really way too different to compare, you'd probably have me as rxd!

Nik Nichols 02-04-2010 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Privitera;734620]That's a great time Nik,HUGE improvement. Our workouts were really way too different to compare, you'd probably have me as rxd![/QUOTE]

Doubt it. My wall ball is the suck. I'm am just getting to where I can get them in sets and not let them break me down.

Ernie Guevara 02-04-2010 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;734608]Feeling good today, sore, but good. It is raining today, Glad it wasnt yesterday.
Ernie, I guess I got your rain.

Oh note worthy, I got a first.
I put my rings over reach of the false grip, I had to jump onto the rings. I pullups up to a false grip, wrist flick and MU. Grip is getting better. Also getting comfortable doing MU's with less then perfect false grip. i can get them with less wrist on ring now, if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear the muscle ups are improvng all the time nik! It's good that u r getting more comfortable with the wrist not being all on the ring because that will happen to u during a wod as your hands get sweaty and tired. That will allow you to keep going. Man I'm sore as heck!!!! I grunt everytime I get off my chair at work lol! I had schedule to work on some deadlifts or backsquats today but I'm substituting that for some muscle up work since I couldn't do them because of the rain the other day.

Nik Nichols 02-04-2010 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;734634]Glad to hear the muscle ups are improvng all the time nik! It's good that u r getting more comfortable with the wrist not being all on the ring because that will happen to u during a wod as your hands get sweaty and tired. That will allow you to keep going. Man I'm sore as heck!!!! I grunt everytime I get off my chair at work lol! I had schedule to work on some deadlifts or backsquats today but I'm substituting that for some muscle up work since I couldn't do them because of the rain the other day.[/QUOTE]

HAHA, I'm sore, but I can get out of my chair allright. I'll play with MU's here and there today, and HSPU's today. Really light, just to keep moving and loose. NO LOWER BODY FOR ME!

Nik Nichols 02-04-2010 09:26 AM

10:00 break
1min wall ru n
10 deadhang pullups C2B
10 ring dips
3x3 MU's with 5lbs
1rep with 10lbs(took a couple of trys)

Nik Nichols 02-04-2010 11:58 AM

rest day fun.
ring plank hold with 30lbs vest.
front 45sec
sides 30sec

5 pullups with vest on.

HSPU ladder, 1min break inbetween sets, HSPU standard, head top ground, hands shoulder width.
6,5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,5,6 all the way through. 41reps total.

Last reps was fun, I was stuck halfway up for a wile, i had time to think about ditching the reps, but stayed with it and finally pressed it out. I was praying on the last rep to get it!

Tried to get 4 in a row MU's with 10lbs , got 3, missed the forth at the transition.

Scott Jenkins 02-04-2010 12:26 PM

Great days fun there Nik and some real strong work on the triple MU with 10lb, I need to try some weighted muscle ups for a change.

Congrats on the HSPU ladder , your definately improving on them.

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;734776]Great days fun there Nik and some real strong work on the triple MU with 10lb, I need to try some weighted muscle ups for a change.

Congrats on the HSPU ladder , your definately improving on them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott. I was real happy with being able to make it back up all the way. I know it is just for volume, but it was mental toughness that kept me going. Oh and I didn't rest on my head like I have done befor.

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 07:29 AM

Note. My back is a bit sore today, just a tough. I'm thinking I bowed some on the HSPU's yesterday getting the last few rounds done. I hope(expect) the warmup will sort it out though.

Scott Jenkins 02-05-2010 07:38 AM

Thats funny that you rest on your head, I have never tried it, probably harder to get up from there than doing a rep in one motion.

Hope the back feels good Nik, maybe try going closer to the wall on the HSPU's then its physically impossible to over arch your back (although you might fall off the wall).

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;735170]Thats funny that you rest on your head, I have never tried it, probably harder to get up from there than doing a rep in one motion.

Hope the back feels good Nik, maybe try going closer to the wall on the HSPU's then its physically impossible to over arch your back (although you might fall off the wall).[/QUOTE]

Back is good, I just did 30 GHD's and 30 backext.

I will try getting closer to the wall and see how it goes.

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 09:23 AM

10:00 break
3x10
C2B pullups( I have been useing the fat bar for a wile now, getting better)
ring dips
abmatt situps unanchored with 45lbs plate
Camille pushups
front squats with 45lbs bar.

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 12:21 PM

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 rep rounds of:
135 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull
Pull to inverted hang and lower as slowly as possible

done. Sumos were better then I thought. I did no less the 3reps, some 4's some 5's. I focused on the hip drive and not speed(like I coud do 135lbs fast)It was a good exercize.
But my callouses HURT!! The sumos and rings did a number on them.

Rings killed my forearms and core.

I did find that when inverted as I dropped if I turned my hands out a bit as I went down I didn't bend my arms.

Oh shoulders are sore like I expected, no suprise there. The hip focus was fun.

Laurie Smith 02-05-2010 12:32 PM

I've been going over the inversions in my head and I'm wondering if I can do it with a band. Kinda like a set up with the hspu's. I can't wait til I'm strong enough to do all these rx'd!!

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;735333]I've been going over the inversions in my head and I'm wondering if I can do it with a band. Kinda like a set up with the hspu's. I can't wait til I'm strong enough to do all these rx'd!![/QUOTE]

If i understand you right, i bet you it will work!

Marianne Urbanski 02-05-2010 12:59 PM

[quote=Nik Nichols;735328]21-18-15-12-9-6-3 rep rounds of:

done. Sumos were better then I thought. I did no less the 3reps, some 4's some 5's. I focused on the hip drive and not speed(like I coud do 135lbs fast)It was a good exercize.

I did find that when inverted as I dropped if I turned my hands out a bit as I went down I didn't bend my arms.

Oh shoulders are sore like I expected, no suprise there. The hip focus was fun.[/quote]

this one looked brutal, but you killed it as usual, Nik!! Great job!! :kicking0:
Happy Weekend!

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=Marianne Urbanski;735353]this one looked brutal, but you killed it as usual, Nik!! Great job!! :kicking0:
Happy Weekend![/QUOTE]

Thanks, it was different not timing it. It was fun.

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 02:42 PM

3:00 break

shoulder press. I haven't pressed in a wile.

1x5@125
maxed at 135lbs.

Leon Robotham 02-05-2010 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;735328]21-18-15-12-9-6-3 rep rounds of:

Oh shoulders are sore like I expected, no suprise there. The hip focus was fun.[/QUOTE]

With that weight and for that amount of reps 135 must have been a killer for you, the hips must have been working like crazy !

Nik Nichols 02-05-2010 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;735443]With that weight and for that amount of reps 135 must have been a killer for you, the hips must have been working like crazy ![/QUOTE]

Yea, I was feeling ok after, swolen arms like popeye, hands hurt, shoulders sore, but about an hour later I was wrecked, abs really sore almost cramping, hips sore, quads finally felt it. But it was a good one.

Scott Jenkins 02-06-2010 01:41 AM

Nice work Nik, not looking forward to this one after your description, well done for pushing through the Sumo push me pull you's.

Nik Nichols 02-06-2010 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;735591]Nice work Nik, not looking forward to this one after your description, well done for pushing through the Sumo push me pull you's.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA It was tough, but with out the time issue it was not bad. I still kept my breaks small and I was sweating and a bit breathy when I was done.

Off to deadlift.

Nik Nichols 02-06-2010 07:42 AM

Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5-5-5 reps

1. 265lbs
2. 265lbs
3. 275lbs
4. 275lbs
5. 280lbs(127k)
total weight 1390 lbs

last two ''posted''5rep lifts
today all with hook grip!
1. 245lbs
2. 245lbs
3. 245lbs
4. 255lbs
5. 260lbs
total weight 1250lbs
last time with mixed grip
1. 225
2. 225
3. 235
4. 245
5. 250
total weight 1180lbs

In all fareness I did a 5 reps deadlift in one of my 3:00 breaks up to 275lbs. SO I have been up in weight, this is just the last Main site workout with 5rep max deadlift.

It felt good. last round my hook grip failed a bit on my right hand. It started to come up wound but completed the lift. Thank you God!

Real happy with it. Funny when I max is going well I start laughing inbetween sets. Or giggling. It is fun and funny to lift good. i can't explane it.

Nik Nichols 02-06-2010 08:05 AM

Ok so it was 7set of 5 reps on deadlift, so I have to post my warm up(thanks Ernie for pointing it out)

If I would have known I may have done a bit heavier on the first 2 sets a bit heavier, but finished the same.

Ernie Guevara 02-06-2010 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;735649]Ok so it was 7set of 5 reps on deadlift, so I have to post my warm up(thanks Ernie for pointing it out)

If I would have known I may have done a bit heavier on the first 2 sets a bit heavier, but finished the same.[/QUOTE]

lmao! I was just gonna write "um nik you did it again by misreading the wod. It's 7 sets not 5 lol"
good job on going up on the weights bud. And still keeping that hook grip. I have to work on mine. I tend to lose it at around 275lbs then I use the switch grip. I'll see how far I can go today. I gotta run some errands firstthen hit up the wod.

Scott Jenkins 02-06-2010 12:01 PM

Nice lifting especially fitting it all in your break Nik, glad you see the sets were wrong also. Getting stronger fast mate.

Nik Nichols 02-06-2010 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;735650]lmao! I was just gonna write "um nik you did it again by misreading the wod. It's 7 sets not 5 lol"
good job on going up on the weights bud. And still keeping that hook grip. I have to work on mine. I tend to lose it at around 275lbs then I use the switch grip. I'll see how far I can go today. I gotta run some errands firstthen hit up the wod.[/QUOTE]

Yea, thank God for warm up sets. Looks like I loose false grip about the same as you. At 280 I had it for 3 reps solid, on the 4th and 5th it slipped but I hung on with curled fingers.
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;735708]Nice lifting especially fitting it all in your break Nik, glad you see the sets were wrong also. Getting stronger fast mate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott. My back is still good. that is the thing I'm stoked about.

Ernie Guevara 02-07-2010 05:03 PM

Where are you nik?! No wod today? Did u hurt your back yesterday?

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;736124]Where are you nik?! No wod today? Did u hurt your back yesterday?[/QUOTE]

No, My back is great. I am suprised after the abuse I put it threw Sat. I did the Deadlift WOD and then spent the next 6 or so hours working of a buddys Car. I was really worried it would wreck me. But it didn't.

Sunday was my Birth day and I went out with the guys Sat for wings and pints. And finished with Cathy with Birth day Scotch.
Sunday I was not in the best shape to workout. I could have gotten threw it, but not for a Hero and NOT for stiff legged deads, That would have probably hurt my back. I have never really stiff legged deadlifted but once.

So I just hung out and ate 1 piece of cake(sugar is so good) I mannaged not to get sick from sugar!!

Matthew Green 02-08-2010 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;736248]

Sunday was my Birth day and I went out with the guys Sat for wings and pints. And finished with Cathy with Birth day Scotch.
Sunday I was not in the best shape to workout. I could have gotten threw it, but not for a Hero and NOT for stiff legged deads, That would have probably hurt my back. I have never really stiff legged deadlifted but once.

[/QUOTE]

A belated Happy Birthday to you Nik :cake:

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 08:01 AM

OK so as not to hide I am now 43 years old as of yesterday.

I changed my sig to show. I had a good time with the familly, aite 1 piece of cake and it didn't wreck my stomach. Watched the super bowl( go NewOrliens) sorry Ernie. and just kicked back.

I am happy with the Birthday, I am in a place in my life I never thought I'd be. A father and husband. It is fearful and wonderful. I'm in probably the best shape in my life or real close to it. I ham getting some grey hair now. I am glad I still have some left!!;)

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;736250]A belated Happy Birthday to you Nik :cake:[/QUOTE]

AH thanks.

Ernie Guevara 02-08-2010 08:07 AM

Happy belated birthday Nik! A well deserved drunken weekend and piece of cake! I hope
I'm as great shape as you are when I get that old. You doin anything for rest day fun?

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;736258]Happy belated birthday Nik! A well deserved drunken weekend and piece of cake! I hope
I'm as great shape as you are when I get that old. You doin anything for rest day fun?[/QUOTE]

Thanks and thanks. As for the resy day, I'll do a good warmup and see what you guys are doing.

Scott Jenkins 02-08-2010 08:41 AM

Happy Birthday Nik, I forgot it was this Sunday after you mentioned it last week, hope you enjoyed your drinks and the Superbowl.