CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 07:15 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723150]Well its lunge>jump>run today. Wondering how your going to attack the broad jumps as I think short consecutive hops would be a lot faster than going to max distance on each jump :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Aye Short managable jumps, besides at 5'7''(107cm, 1.7m in height0 all my jumps are short! But keeping them short and managable will be key to speed, it is for time not distance, it is 100m how ever you jump it.
I will be going to the track for it, then it will be mesured and no turn arround or doubling back on itself to get distance right.
It is 30degree(86F ?) so it is a bit cold, but ok, no wind so far, so after we get started we will warm up. Brady will freez and die though.

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;723173]Don't know how I'm gonna be doing this one today. It would be great to do in on a track. Gotta see how I'll be measuring 50, 100, and 200 meters by my house.[/QUOTE]

Mesure a lunge and mesure a SHORT broad jump. add them up to distsance and go for reps. I say short broad jump because they will end up short when you get tired. and you will short yourself distance. So if you mesure short and jump over you will know distance is good, pluse I bet it will average itself out fine.
Then you don't have to mesure and mark, or doible back. Time is key.
The comments page is boastinf times from 10min to 17, to 20min. So it will be speed! Turning will kill time. Expecially with me being verticaly challenged!! When we did the 400m lunges I did 70reps more then Brady!

Brady Herrin 01-12-2010 07:57 AM

You can take your short little jumps and shove em!

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723195]Brady will freez and die though.

[/QUOTE]

Scott Jenkins 01-12-2010 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=Brady Herrin;723225]You can take your short little jumps and shove em![/QUOTE]

Yes you wrap up well tonight Brady, dont want you freezing, shocked its so cold in Texas! Nik you better hope it does not snow or Brady might lose you. :D

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;723193]I think consecutive short hops are considered bunny hops mate lol. Broad jumps are for max distance to generate the most power. I think we should call u bugs bunny from now on lol.[/QUOTE]

You are right on the bunny hops, but it is for time, so an allout effort would take more time to reset and go again would it be as time effective? What are you going to do, all out? I don't want to ''short'' myself on it, but I want to be fast. it is for time. Now if it was somthing like 20rep broad jump for distance, that would be different.

Either way, I wont bunny hop.

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723226]Yes you wrap up well tonight Brady, dont want you freezing, shocked its so cold in Texas! Nik you better hope it does not snow or Brady might lose you. :D[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA, funny.

Scott Jenkins 01-12-2010 08:24 AM

I tried some of those broad jumps and you tend to start over-balancing forwards if you go too fast, this is going to be an experience at the very least.

Ernie Guevara 01-12-2010 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723234]You are right on the bunny hops, but it is for time, so an allout effort would take more time to reset and go again would it be as time effective? What are you going to do, all out? I don't want to ''short'' myself on it, but I want to be fast. it is for time. Now if it was somthing like 20rep broad jump for distance, that would be different.

Either way, I wont bunny hop.[/QUOTE]

You guys are right on you can probably go faster by doing short hops. And the wod is for time so that might work better when u think about it "racing the clock" wise. But I remember doing broad jumps back in track for highschool and they are used to develop explosiveness. So short fast hops will kill the purpose of explosiveness. That's how I see it so I'll be jumping as far as I can each time. Either way you'll get a different tough workout.I think With the fast short hops you'll get more of a metcon feel. And with the long jumps you'll get more of my legs are gonna explode feel. That's my opnion in todays wod.

Brady Herrin 01-12-2010 09:11 AM

Ditto. I think it kills the purpose of the workout if you cheat the jumps.

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;723278]You guys are right on you can probably go faster by doing short hops. And the wod is for time so that might work better when u think about it "racing the clock" wise. But I remember doing broad jumps back in track for highschool and they are used to develop explosiveness. So short fast hops will kill the purpose of explosiveness. That's how I see it so I'll be jumping as far as I can each time. Either way you'll get a different tough workout.I think With the fast short hops you'll get more of a metcon feel. And with the long jumps you'll get more of my legs are gonna explode feel. That's my opnion in todays wod.[/QUOTE]

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 09:25 AM

I'm kind of thinking the same, I don't know if I can short the broad jumps. Just land good for the next one, and keep repping.

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 09:27 AM

10:00 break. 30 c2b kip pullups
30 situps with 45lbs plate overhead abbmatt
30 backext.
30 ring dips.

21thrusters 95lbs. working a goat and getting my breathing down.

Scott Jenkins 01-12-2010 09:40 AM

Also reading the actual exercise on main page it says: [B]Standing[/B] Broad Jump which probably means each one should have a quick re-set. Also thinking about it the bounce bounce bounce bunny hop would look ridiculous, even more ridiculous than anything we have done before.

Jesse Emers 01-12-2010 09:48 AM

I agree with Scott's interpretation. Standing broad jump means no momentum going into the jump, so it would have to be from a reset. I just did it and the jumps were the worst part (obviously). Remember to bend your knees alot on your landings to absorb the shock, I was having lower back issues until I figured that out.

Ernie Guevara 01-12-2010 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723312]Also reading the actual exercise on main page it says: [B]Standing[/B] Broad Jump which probably means each one should have a quick re-set. Also thinking about it the bounce bounce bounce bunny hop would look ridiculous, even more ridiculous than anything we have done before.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Suppose to reset to get ready to explode again. Glad we all cleared that up lol. Also agree with Jesse, gotta land with the knnes bent to absorb the impact of the landing.

Laurie Smith 01-12-2010 10:24 AM

I'm really looking forward to this workout. :)

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723312]Also reading the actual exercise on main page it says: [B]Standing[/B] Broad Jump which probably means each one should have a quick re-set. Also thinking about it the bounce bounce bounce bunny hop would look ridiculous, even more ridiculous than anything we have done before.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;723319]I agree with Scott's interpretation. Standing broad jump means no momentum going into the jump, so it would have to be from a reset. I just did it and the jumps were the worst part (obviously). Remember to bend your knees alot on your landings to absorb the shock, I was having lower back issues until I figured that out.[/QUOTE]
This is what I did, enede up in full squat till i started keeping my legs ''loaded'' to rebound some.
[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;723351]I'm really looking forward to this workout. :)[/QUOTE]

It was fun, hard on the jumps, but fun.

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 12:29 PM

Three rounds for time of:
Walking lunge, 50 meters
Standing broad-jump, 100 meters
Run 200 meters
time 20:15

Reps on jumps was jump breath jump. I started with sets of 5, which quicklty turned into sets of 3, then went randum but keeping to a one breath inbetween, First run was brutal.

Leon Robotham 01-12-2010 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723424]Three rounds for time of:
Walking lunge, 50 meters
Run 200 meters

Reps on jumps was jump breath jump. I started with sets of 5, which quicklty turned into sets of 3, then went randum but keeping to a one breath inbetween, First run was brutal.[/QUOTE]

It looks like a fun one, the legs should be pretty beasted from this in a couple of days.

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;723459]It looks like a fun one, the legs should be pretty beasted from this in a couple of days.[/QUOTE]

They already feel wierd, It show's I worked them in a new way. It really was fun.

Nik Nichols 01-12-2010 02:23 PM

HSPU ladder 5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,5 I wanted to get through it ok, 6 is doable, should have started with 6, but there you go.
135lbs C&J 10 reps. I was going to do more on the C&J but my legs are toast. left shin on the outside is really sore.

Scott Jenkins 01-13-2010 04:07 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723424]Three rounds for time of:
Walking lunge, 50 meters
Run 200 meters

Reps on jumps was jump breath jump. I started with sets of 5, which quicklty turned into sets of 3, then went randum but keeping to a one breath inbetween, First run was brutal.[/QUOTE]

Nice work Nik, if its as cold in Texas as it is here you had to keep going fast to keep warm. Hope Brady did not freeze to death.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723753]Nice work Nik, if its as cold in Texas as it is here you had to keep going fast to keep warm. Hope Brady did not freeze to death.[/QUOTE]

No he servirvd it, the jumps almost killed him though! My shins were in agony, it was painful to pick my toes up on my left leg. Real painful. I'm just sore today, maybe a little pain, but it was hard to go to sleep from shin pain!

Scott Jenkins 01-13-2010 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723801]No he servirvd it, the jumps almost killed him though! My shins were in agony, it was painful to pick my toes up on my left leg. Real painful. I'm just sore today, maybe a little pain, but it was hard to go to sleep from shin pain![/QUOTE]

Careful your not developing shin splints Nik, they can be a real nuisance to get rid of, keep away from double unders and running on concrete or hard surfaces until they feel better.

I will try and get the bench later, the only problem with that is the pull up bar is about 100m away so cannot go from one to the other without losing the station, probably do all sets of bench then all pull ups afterwards.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723807]Careful your not developing shin splints Nik, they can be a real nuisance to get rid of, keep away from double unders and running on concrete or hard surfaces until they feel better.

I will try and get the bench later, the only problem with that is the pull up bar is about 100m away so cannot go from one to the other without losing the station, probably do all sets of bench then all pull ups afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Yea, shin splints crossed my mind, but I have never had them, so I didn't want to say that. ''Oh my shins hurt, I got shin splints!'' I'' stay off the leg extras till I feel better unless the mainpage calles for it.

Smart move on the WOD, if you have to do all the bench together and the pullups together, then that is what you have to do to get it done. Just make sure you rest well enough inbetween rounds so you don't burn out . It is not timed.

Scott Jenkins 01-13-2010 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723817]Yea, shin splints crossed my mind, but I have never had them, so I didn't want to say that. ''Oh my shins hurt, I got shin splints!'' I'' stay off the leg extras till I feel better unless the mainpage calles for it.

Smart move on the WOD, if you have to do all the bench together and the pullups together, then that is what you have to do to get it done. Just make sure you rest well enough inbetween rounds so you don't burn out . It is not timed.[/QUOTE]

Yes no extra work on the legs until the pain goes away, thats what Im doing with my back, keeping up with main page and hoping it copes without adding anything extra for it.

Yes with Lynne I rest as and when I need to which usually is not that long as I get very impatient, when heavy lifting sometimes I cannot wait longer than 20-30 seconds between 1 rep maxes.

Ernie Guevara 01-13-2010 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723801]No he servirvd it, the jumps almost killed him though! My shins were in agony, it was painful to pick my toes up on my left leg. Real painful. I'm just sore today, maybe a little pain, but it was hard to go to sleep from shin pain![/QUOTE]

Hey Nik is the pain on the actual shin or on the muscles on the side of it? I am sore on the muscles on the side of my shin but not the actual shin. I think shin splints is when the actual shin bone hurts even to touch. But I'm not completely sure. Either way I hope it goes away quickly for ya. Icing helps.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723821]Yes no extra work on the legs until the pain goes away, thats what Im doing with my back, keeping up with main page and hoping it copes without adding anything extra for it.

Yes with Lynne I rest as and when I need to which usually is not that long as I get very impatient, when heavy lifting sometimes I cannot wait longer than 20-30 seconds between 1 rep maxes.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same on waiting on sets, my rest is short. I go by feel, if I feel ready, I go. I try to time it with my adrenaline. On maxes, I'm like you sometimes I'm so wound up I HAVE to go.
You know youself when you are ready.

Scott Jenkins 01-13-2010 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;723831]I'm the same on waiting on sets, my rest is short. I go by feel, if I feel ready, I go. I try to time it with my adrenaline. On maxes, I'm like you sometimes I'm so wound up I HAVE to go.
You know youself when you are ready.[/QUOTE]

Yes I missed a power clean at the affiliate Friday and had to wait to everyone else to have a go before I could try again, it almost made me go mad waiting, you know when you walk around in circles really fast just wanting to hit the bar again.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;723847]Yes I missed a power clean at the affiliate Friday and had to wait to everyone else to have a go before I could try again, it almost made me go mad waiting, you know when you walk around in circles really fast just wanting to hit the bar again.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, the pacing back and forth, been there.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 09:28 AM

30reps abmatt situps with 45lbs plate overhead
back ext 15lbs
21thrusters with 95lbs
3 MU's in a row
5 sets false grip hold count 5 deep breaths in the turnout position.

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 12:08 PM

"Lynne"

Five rounds for max reps of:
Body weight bench press at 165lbs
Pull-ups C2B

last time
Lynne"

Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

bench pullups
1.13, 40
2.10, 20
3.8, 21
4.10, 21
5.7, 15

Nik Nichols 01-13-2010 02:32 PM

3:00 break

Powwer Snach OHS 2+3
1.through3 at 75lbs 4and 5 at 95lbs
Front squats 2reps
1.165lbs
2.185lbs
3.205lbs
4.215lbs
5.225lbs

Laurie Smith 01-13-2010 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;724005]"Lynne"

Pull-ups C2B

last time
Lynne"

Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

bench pullups
1.13, 40
2.10, 20
3.8, 21
4.10, 21
5.7, 15[/QUOTE]

Nice job Nik! When I first looked at it I thought...OMG, he did 17,290 benches??!! Um yeah, never mind. :D

Scott Jenkins 01-14-2010 04:39 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;724005]"Lynne"

Pull-ups C2B

last time
Lynne"

Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

bench pullups
1.13, 40
2.10, 20
3.8, 21
4.10, 21
5.7, 15[/QUOTE]

Your bench has got a lot stronger Nik , must of been the bench workout we did not long ago. Well done on the front squats also, loads of extra programming as usual.

How you doing todays WOD or can you walk on your hands?

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;724339]Your bench has got a lot stronger Nik , must of been the bench workout we did not long ago. Well done on the front squats also, loads of extra programming as usual.

How you doing todays WOD or can you walk on your hands?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, funny I was only 1 reps short on my pullups to tie my last time. Bench i think was a pr.

I'll try to walk, I have the room easy, but if it gets stupid and I can't do it I'll sub the wall walk. I hope if I sub I'll have done one round of walking and could count the actual ''steps'' so it is an'' equal'' sub?
That gives me an idea. If you can mesure one'' step'' you can add it up to a proper rep to distance.

But you know me, I will try to walk it out.

Scott Jenkins 01-14-2010 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;724397]Thanks, funny I was only 1 reps short on my pullups to tie my last time. Bench i think was a pr.

I'll try to walk, I have the room easy, but if it gets stupid and I can't do it I'll sub the wall walk. I hope if I sub I'll have done one round of walking and could count the actual ''steps'' so it is an'' equal'' sub?
That gives me an idea. If you can mesure one'' step'' you can add it up to a proper rep to distance.

But you know me, I will try to walk it out.[/QUOTE]

People hate going near me as it is, upside down I would be a health hazard in the globo! I reckon 30 chest touches on the wall walking should be about right, let me know if you think different.

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;724401]People hate going near me as it is, upside down I would be a health hazard in the globo! I reckon 30 chest touches on the wall walking should be about right, let me know if you think different.[/QUOTE]

One step for me mesures 2feet ( I just mesured) it would take me 50 steps at that distance to get the 100feet. My arm lenth from finget tip to finget tip is 70inches or 177.8 centimeters. You are taller and have a longer reach then me so yuo would do less reps, but for me I'd have to do 50 reps to equal one for one.
But doing wll walk for 1min. I can get over 60reps, so 50 reps for me would be pretty doable.
I'm am not saying you should do 50 reps, that is what I would have to do. You would do less reps with your longer reach.

If I end up wall walking I will do 50 reps.

I think 40reps for you Scott, that would be sure to get you the 100feet maybe a bit more.

Scott Jenkins 01-14-2010 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;724452]One step for me mesures 2feet ( I just mesured) it would take me 50 steps at that distance to get the 100feet. My arm lenth from finget tip to finget tip is 70inches or 177.8 centimeters. You are taller and have a longer reach then me so yuo would do less reps, but for me I'd have to do 50 reps to equal one for one.
But doing wll walk for 1min. I can get over 60reps, so 50 reps for me would be pretty doable.
I'm am not saying you should do 50 reps, that is what I would have to do. You would do less reps with your longer reach.

If I end up wall walking I will do 50 reps.

I think 40reps for you Scott, that would be sure to get you the 100feet maybe a bit more.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for working that out Nik, I will do 40 tonight and afterwards I will practice some free standing so I am more prepared next time it comes up. Be fun to see how many HSPU's we can get if done straight after the 2 minute handstand without coming down first, can imagine it being the hardest single ever.

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;724463]Thanks for working that out Nik, I will do 40 tonight and afterwards I will practice some free standing so I am more prepared next time it comes up. Be fun to see how many HSPU's we can get if done straight after the 2 minute handstand without coming down first, can imagine it being the hardest single ever.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing on the first HSPU! It will be bad and a real mental challenge to atleast get that one!

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 09:28 AM

10:00 break
warmup

Feeling a bit sluggish today.
20 ring pullups ring to chest
20 GHD's
30 backext with 30lbs
16 thrusters 95lbs.
20 ring dips.

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 12:25 PM

Three rounds for time of:
Walk on hands, 100 feet
Hold handstand against wall for two minutes
15 Handstand push-ups

Ok scales. walks were spotted for first round, second and third legs suported a little lower.
HSPU's first round good, second and third to abmatt
Time 20:04 with out the 6min subtracted. But we were going to use a secont stop watch to time thwe 2:00min inverted and didn't on my WOD. So when I came down from the hand stand brady sdtopped my total time so the time I wasnt in the handstand was not counted in total time so my time is all kinds of off.
At that time minus the 6:00 min I would be at 14:04, but like I said my time resetting in the handstand wasnot counted.
Time on thisone is not valid.