CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ring strapping question (Xtreme vs. Elite) (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36876)

Chad Steinwolf 09-10-2008 10:59 AM

Ring strapping question (Xtreme vs. Elite)

Has anyone used both the Xtreme and Elite II rings and is able to comment on how the straps are connected to the rings? Can you tell the difference when using them?

It looks like the Elite has the straps threaded through the actual rings, whereas with the Xtremes they loop underneath them.

I found a quote from Coach Summer talking about this, but was looking for feedback from anyone who has tried both.

[SIZE="2"][I]"The Xtreme Rings have no slots on the sides of the rings, nor will they in the future. This is not a design element that I find useful. Competitive gymnasts tape their rings to stabilize them for swinging skills, not for strength work. There is no need to stabilize them for strength work. My athletes have always conditioned on rings that move freely. Not having slots on the Xtreme Rings also greatly accelerates the speed with which Gymnastic Bodies attachments can be both placed on and removed from the straps. More on the Gymnastic Bodies attachments later this year."[/I][/SIZE]

Thanks.

Rayne Gray 09-10-2008 04:17 PM

Re: Ring strapping question (Xtreme vs. Elite)

I have a pair of each of the rings you mentioned. I have come to prefer the extreme rings, they have a nice texture and are easier to adjust (which in my case is very frequent, due to the height variables among the users).

Rayne

Tyler Hass 09-11-2008 01:23 PM

That comment written by Mr. Sommer was actually referring to an older version of my Elite Rings. The new Elite Rings II actually have a slot on the bottom of the ring. It only takes a second or two to run the strap through. It just helps a bit with keeping the strap in place.
For adjusting them, you just press down the lever and slide the strap through. It's very fast to adjust the height. Most of the time you will spend is getting the rings level. This can be solved by marking a few common heights on the strap with a pen. The only difference in speed people will see is in setting them up. The Xtreme Rings use a different style of buckle. I went with a stronger version of the same buckle. Because the spring is tighter, it can take people a bit longer to thread the webbing through. But with practice, it only takes 10 seconds or less. The "more convenient" buckle is only half as strong, so I don't use it in my product.
I hope this helps,
Tyler
[url]www.ringtraining.com[/url]

Andres Gordo 09-11-2008 01:50 PM

I have the Xtremes, and it takes me about 15 seconds or so for each ring to run them through. Most of the time spent is just leveling them to be the same height.

Chad Steinwolf 09-11-2008 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=Tyler Hass;397959]That comment written by Mr. Sommer was actually referring to an older version of my Elite Rings. The new Elite Rings II actually have a slot on the bottom of the ring. It only takes a second or two to run the strap through. It just helps a bit with keeping the strap in place.
For adjusting them, you just press down the lever and slide the strap through. It's very fast to adjust the height. Most of the time you will spend is getting the rings level. This can be solved by marking a few common heights on the strap with a pen. The only difference in speed people will see is in setting them up. The Xtreme Rings use a different style of buckle. I went with a stronger version of the same buckle. Because the spring is tighter, it can take people a bit longer to thread the webbing through. But with practice, it only takes 10 seconds or less. The "more convenient" buckle is only half as strong, so I don't use it in my product.
I hope this helps,
Tyler
[url]www.ringtraining.com[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks. Any current promotions going on (in addition to the price listed on the ringtraining site)?:D -- had to ask

Camille Lore 09-12-2008 06:09 AM

Fwiw the Extreme buckles were just reworked. I have a new set- they're very strong. I've noticed it's hard to feed the webbing through as well, but if that's bc the spring is stronger, then it's ok by me.

Tim Crawford 09-12-2008 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=Chad Steinwolf;396935]Has anyone used both the Xtreme and Elite II rings and is able to comment on how the straps are connected to the rings? Can you tell the difference when using them?

It looks like the Elite has the straps threaded through the actual rings, whereas with the Xtremes they loop underneath them.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Chad~
My friend has the Elite, and I have the Xtreme (only based on cost), and honestly I can't tell a difference. I will not be using them in the traditional gymnastic style, so allowing them to move was not a factor to me. I have used them for inverted rows, dips, pull-ups and some other basic moves. I am not able to do MU yet, so that hasn't come into play. Each buckle has held up fine, and I'm a bit on the "husky" side, so that hasn't been an issue either. I haven't had the Xtreme rings for very long, so I can't attest to the longevity of either. I really don't think you can go wrong with one over the other.