CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   sugar-free chocolate (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32447)

Maria Yegorova 05-28-2008 11:42 PM

sugar-free chocolate

bad for u?
or whatever...?

Derek Weaver 05-28-2008 11:55 PM

Re: sugar-free chocolate

If you're gonna go with chocolate... go with the real thing.

Dark chocolate, as high of a % as you can find.

Maria Yegorova 05-29-2008 12:01 AM

why thank u derek! but can u tell me why?

i'm really curious... :)

Laura Kurth 05-29-2008 05:52 AM

do u mean sugar free chocolate as in 100% cocoa, or as in 'artificial sweeteners/sugar alcohols'?

I would avoid if it has that weird stuff added, it will probably wreck havoc with your digestive system.

I eat dark chocolate 85% or higher, I once had Lindt 99% cocoa which I didn't mind, but my hubby thought was horrible. (he has become accustomed to 85 or 88% that I usually buy)

It probably takes getting used to if you are used to sweet things... start at 70% then move up from there.

Andres Gordo 05-29-2008 06:01 AM

Chocolate is one of the sugar treats I still have, Dark chocolate that is, go with high % of cocoa. The one with least sugar and more flavor also helps. The other sugar treat I have is All Natural Ice cream, do a search on that thread in this Nutrition sub forum..
I'm not saying to go eat chocolate every time you have cravings, is just a every 1-2(3?) day treat to reward your self.
Chocolate has many benefits like makes you in a happy mood.
It has antioxidants.
And many other benefits, check this out:
[url]http://www.yachanagourmet.com/health_benefits.htm[/url]
And there are others...

Laura Kurth 05-29-2008 06:08 AM

also if you are eating really dark chocolate, you are looking at a very small amount of sugar for your 'sweet' treat.

I think the dark stuff I eat is 18-20g fat per serving, and maybe 6-7g sugar.

Zachary Sokoloski 05-29-2008 04:05 PM

homemade chocolate is the best!
buy some raw cacao powder and raw cacao butter from a reputable raw food website, then put it in a food processor with some cashews and sweeten with agave nectar or honey. it's really great on its own like that, but i usually throw in some maca powder or some kind of greens powder and some goji berries and bee pollen. oooh, coconut butter, too, or maybe some vanilla bean. or use the goji berries to push into the finished product in little designs. transfer from the food processor onto some wax paper, shape it, then stick it in the fridge to firm up. it's super good!

Evan Satterfield 05-29-2008 07:48 PM

My son says "chocolate will make us fat and slow". He's 5

Brett Dartt 05-29-2008 09:22 PM

i had sugar free chocolate twice. it tasted decent but the second time i had it is when i realized it was why i couldnt get of the damned toilet. and i mean almost painful.

never again:(

Maria Yegorova 05-29-2008 10:21 PM

hahaha ya don't eat too much of that it.

and that's a great recipe for home made chocolate.

Sarena Kopciel 05-30-2008 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=zachary sokoloski;321065]homemade chocolate is the best!
buy some raw cacao powder and raw cacao butter from a reputable raw food website, then put it in a food processor with some cashews and sweeten with agave nectar or honey. it's really great on its own like that, but i usually throw in some maca powder or some kind of greens powder and some goji berries and bee pollen. oooh, coconut butter, too, or maybe some vanilla bean. or use the goji berries to push into the finished product in little designs. transfer from the food processor onto some wax paper, shape it, then stick it in the fridge to firm up. it's super good![/QUOTE]

Then does sound good. Just to give ya a heads up if it concerns you though! Goji berries are a nightshade:)

Laura Kurth 05-30-2008 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=Evan Satterfield;321187]My son says "chocolate will make us fat and slow". He's 5[/QUOTE]

that makes me sad.

Tirzah Harper 05-30-2008 06:52 AM

Cocoa nibs!
I want some.

Thomas Bailly 05-30-2008 11:54 AM

anytime something is marketed as "sugar free" ( or fat free) ask yourself what chemical is being used to replace it. Cancer causing aspartame? stomach wrecking sucralose, all the other "-ose's".
If you want chocolate buy good (expensive) chocolate. The chemicals used to "replace" sugar are far worse for you long term than sugar.

If you are ever in Belgium, get some Leonidas fresh made chocolates....they are so fresh and full of milk, butter,eggs that they sell them discounted after a couple of days because they taste different. But fresh they are heavenly. A very very worthy way of getting any diet off track.

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-30-2008 12:29 PM

I'd rather have the evil I know, than the evil I don't know. I know what sugar will do to my body so I minimize the effects. I don't know what half of the those chemicals will do to me, so I avoid it.

I'm also going to suggest high cocoa chocolate. Yummy and lower in sugar. I've been on this spicy chocolate kick for a while. Chocolate and cayanne. It is so yummy.