CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   R3 vs R4 vs BaseFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=60264)

Robert Pallares 08-04-2010 04:38 PM

R3 vs R4 vs BaseFit

I'm looking to add a serious piece of equipment to my garage gym, but I'm really stuck on what Rack system is best. I'm considering the R3, R4, and Sorinex BaseFit unit.

The unit will be housed outside, under moderate shade on a concrete slab.

I live in southern California, so the weather isn't that bad.

It would need to be able to do band work as well handle kipping pull ups.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

William Henniger 08-05-2010 05:46 AM

Re: R3 vs R4 vs BaseFit

Robert:

1) All three are steel with powder coat so the possibility of rust is near equal

2) The BaseFit based on the configuration could have more options as it is more of multi-purpose unit with the ability to add on just about anything. Everything made by Sorinex is a solid investment. You can do band work from the pullup bars on this unit.

3) The R-3/4 are both meant to be racks with various pullup diameters, full band capacity, safeties etc. They were a hybrid of what we wanted and what Louie Simmons specified lifters need to do West Side programming

Hope that helps

Bill

Robert Pallares 08-20-2010 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info Bill. I've definitely narrowed it down to either the R4 or R3. I feel the R3 is all I need, however like the bigger size of the R4 unit as well as the ability to do pull ups from either side. I usually work out with a few buddies and it would be a nice advantage to have more than one person on the unit at one time. The R3 appears to be a single user piece. Is that accurate?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Brian Carver 08-20-2010 10:17 AM

I have trained as many as 5 people at once on my R-3 rack. Just get an extra set of J-cups and make sure there is space enough on both sides of the rack to squat (in other words, don't put it right up against a wall.) I feel the R-3 is well suited here, given that it's narrow and it is identical on both sides. My gym is in my basement and the R-4 would have been too deep to allow this, in my particular situation.

(I have no affiliation with Rogue, I'm just a satisfied customer)

Robert Pallares 08-20-2010 10:28 AM

Brian,

Thanks a lot for that kind of advice. That was just what I was looking to hear.

Brian Carver 08-20-2010 10:32 AM

Glad I could help.

Timothy Gilday 08-26-2010 07:09 PM

How much of a practical benefit is the extra depth on the R4?

William Henniger 08-27-2010 08:01 AM

I asked Louie Simmons your exact question, here is the answer: "If it is good enough for me then it is good enough for you!", Louie Simmons West Side Barbell

The R-3 Rack is very versatile, the only draw back is that it will need anchored. You can anchor it to wood or your concrete floor. Everything on it is built to last longer than any of us!

Bill

Timothy Gilday 08-27-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Henniger (Post 834421)
I asked Louie Simmons your exact question, here is the answer: "If it is good enough for me then it is good enough for you!", Louie Simmons West Side Barbell

The R-3 Rack is very versatile, the only draw back is that it will need anchored. You can anchor it to wood or your concrete floor. Everything on it is built to last longer than any of us!

Bill

Great answer, Bill. Kind of hard not to take Louie at his word. For me it will just come down to allotted space - I like both. From what I've read on your site, both units are recommended to be bolted down.

William Henniger 08-27-2010 10:05 AM

The R-4 just like any standard 4X4 rack is good to go without getting bolted down as long as you are not doing band work.

So basically if you plan on attaching bands to the base and pulling on them then this is not optimal. You want the rack to be set in stone when doing West Side type band work.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bill