CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Knees go in (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62422)

Nik Nichols 10-22-2010 10:24 AM

Knees go in

Ok so I serched page after page and found little, it was a help, but I want to be sure.

I'm 43yo 165pound 5foot6in
Max squat 300pound
dead lift 340 pound
clean and jerk 225pound max

Issue is heavy work my knees go in. I fight it, but it is a weekness. On squats I ''split'' the floor and start the squat pushing my kness out from the top. It has gotten better but still a factor.

Now I have found that it is from weak glutes?

I have heard that the only fix is heavy lifting, heavy squats ect. Push the glutes and fight the knees.

Is this all there is? Is there more I can do to fight this? Anything I can GTG with?

I'm not afraid to lift heavy to fix it, I was just wondering if I'm right and if there is anything else I can do.

Oh I am also following K Stars mobility work and am all about rolling and streching. I use a base ball for lacross ball.

I don't see it as a flexabelity issu more of a strenth issue.

Thanks.

Sean Dunston 10-22-2010 10:30 AM

Re: Knees go in

Nick - our body types and age are pretty equal.
I had the same issue a few years ago, but it eventually got better.
Using Do-Wins when I squat helped tremendously because they gave me a more stable foundation on which to squat (and I have pretty bad hamstring flexibility, so the raised heel helped there too).

Off the top of my head, other exercises you can use to help strengthen the glutes/hams are:

Reverse Hyper
Sled pull
Sumo dead lift
Weighted box jumps
GH Raise/Extensions

Best of luck!

Nik Nichols 10-22-2010 10:36 AM

Whats up Sean, Thanks. I see about the do wins.

I do the GHDs pretty regular, I have done some reverse hypers.Sled drags I'll have to make a sled, how about a 200pound tire?
I'll start adding in the weighted box jump(that will suck!)and sumo deadlift. I never do it, always regular stance, I'll mix it up.

Thanks, that really helps.

Funny I have seen you on the boards for a wile and watched you log and never noticed you age. Nice new pic.

Nik Nichols 10-22-2010 01:34 PM

What about lunges and or weighted lunges?

Eugene Goldashkin 10-22-2010 01:45 PM

you can also put a rubber band(light) around your legs(upper), when you do body squats. This will pull your knees inside THE POINT IS you will be focusing on the problem and fighting it(that is why you should do it body weight only) this will build more strenght to keep them from calapsing. I have seen this used before but have never seen it mentioned on the boards.

Ben Moore 10-22-2010 07:42 PM

Typically means weak hips - add in some hip specific work like lunges or even sumo pulls to bring them up.

Wayne Riddle 10-23-2010 04:24 AM

Going off memory from Starting Strength, but thought Rip said this was due to weak abductors. Not sure of accessory exercises to strengthen those specific muscles but if you can't squat with good form at that weight then back off the weight (my opinion).

Nik Nichols 10-23-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene Goldashkin (Post 858872)
you can also put a rubber band(light) around your legs(upper), when you do body squats. This will pull your knees inside THE POINT IS you will be focusing on the problem and fighting it(that is why you should do it body weight only) this will build more strenght to keep them from calapsing. I have seen this used before but have never seen it mentioned on the boards.

I will try it on my warm up squats 30 reps with a bad should make a pretty good indicator feeling for lifting if nothing else.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Moore (Post 858974)
Typically means weak hips - add in some hip specific work like lunges or even sumo pulls to bring them up.

Will do on the lunges and sumo, Should I do weighted lunges?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle (Post 859026)
Going off memory from Starting Strength, but thought Rip said this was due to weak abductors. Not sure of accessory exercises to strengthen those specific muscles but if you can't squat with good form at that weight then back off the weight (my opinion).

Good point and I don't push past or into bad form, when the knees go is when I stop. I'm not going to try to hit heavy at the sacrifice of form. But I want to strenthn up a weak link in the chain. It is maddening to have the knees go and feel strong enough to go for more.

Nik Nichols 10-23-2010 03:56 PM

Oh thanks Mods for moving my post, sorry to stick it in the wrong area.

Steven Low 10-23-2010 04:20 PM

Good old collapsing knees....

More glute work is advised, but at some point you're probably strong enough and you just have to work proper movement patterns.

Some of the soft tissue work from here my help (page 4... but if you havent read the whole thing) wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/